What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
retasu

New

Post by retasu » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:03 am

Okay, okay, I am back to ask again:

3.88 UGPA (3.91 on LSAC) and a 165 LSAT. White but multilingual/multicultural background. 2 years international work experience in local government and public interest.

I've played around on LSN and this is my list:

Reach:
Cornell
Columbia
George Washington

Target:
American
Fordham
UC Davis
Minnesota

Safety:
Case Western Reserve

I would prefer to go to D.C., California, or anywhere not in the deep south (I have Texas residency, but would rather not apply to UT.) I'm looking for schools with human rights/international law clinics and stuff beyond the usual handful of courses. Is there any place else I should apply? I'd like another good safety or target...

gs1022

New

Post by gs1022 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:02 am

what are my chances of getting into brooklyn law school on early decision with a 156/3.75 gpa - i am in the honors program at nyu

viv

New

Post by viv » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:53 am

retasu,

U of Washington
UCLA
USC
Colorado
Wisconsin

Just for some ideas... USC would be around target area, CO and UW would be more or less safe.
Last edited by viv on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

legallybrown

New

Good luck!

Post by legallybrown » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:00 am

Stephenr86:

Nice to meet my competition. :D I am applying to SMU and UH essentially just in case I want to stay in Texas and don't get into UT. Your list looks pretty solid as well. Here's to getting into our reach schools!

Rosstafarian

New

Post by Rosstafarian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:18 pm

Rather than follow the recent trend of starting my own vanity thread, I'll post here.

My vitals: 3.36 / 168.

Background: Six years out of undergrad; have been lobbying for non-profits in DC since then. Currently Director of Gov't Relations at a national org.

What are my chances at T14 schools, i.e.:

Northwestern (first choice)
Georgetown
UVA
Cornell
Michigan
Penn
Duke

I've seen the LSAC calculator, and they all hover around a 25% chance (less for Duke and Penn). Does my legislative work experience significantly boost my odds at some or all of the above?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:39 pm

edit
Last edited by idrinkcoffee on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rosstafarian

New

Post by Rosstafarian » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:47 pm

That 180 is powerful. Shoot for the stars in the T14. I don't think there's even one where you're ruled out.

Locke181

New

Post by Locke181 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:58 pm

I think if you have a 180 you should automatically get in anywhere you want w/ a full ride and not even have to submit a gpa. Oh, ye and I would ask that the school pays for my lodging, entertainment and food.:)

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:07 pm

Last edited by idrinkcoffee on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Last edited by idrinkcoffee on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

VVev

New

Post by VVev » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:14 pm

Last edited by VVev on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

the rza

Bronze

Post by the rza » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:43 pm

^^ don't underestimate the 170, apply to T14, just make the rest of your app great.

Grollus

New

Post by Grollus » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Last edited by Grollus on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:33 am

Looking at this:

GPA: 2.97
LSAT: 177

Reach schools:

Penn
Georgetown
Northwestern
Cornell

What are my chances at these boys, or any t14 for that matter?

Bronze

Post by 18488 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 am

i'll jump on the bandwagon:

3.91/166

what are my chances at:

Duke
Cornell
Vanderbilt
GWU
BU
Emory
WUSTL
UGA

xxandyxx07

New

Post by xxandyxx07 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:16 am

sbrown83,

I think Duke and cornell would be considered 'targets ' for you while the others should more or less be pretty good fits. good luck!

now my turn
GPA: 3.92
LSAT: 166

Schools (from my subjective lowest probability of admission to highest):
Stanford, NYU, UVa, Berkeley, UCLA, Vanderbilt, USC, U of Washington, U of North Carolina, Fordham

Please let me know what you think.

dreday3223

New

I need some advice

Post by dreday3223 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:54 am

I have recently taken the Sept. 07 test and scored a 158 (I previously scored a 149 while in undergrad). My undergrad GPA from UVA stinks as it is a 2.5 (mainly cause I took too many classes and was away from home for the first time, meaning I had a great social life :) ). However, I have been out of school for 5 years and I have worked as a paralegal during that time in the temp capacity for 2 years after college. I then worked for a year as an insurance agent and hated it so I went to Queens College and enrolled in their Continuing Education Studies Program and received an ABA-approved Paralegal Certificate with a 4.0 gpa taking similar classes to the one I will be taking in law school. I know these will not be counted but I wanted to show my progression in the last 5 years. The last 2 1/2 years I have worked as a fulltime paralegal for a union organization. I hate to use this as I like to be recognized for my talents and abilities but any help would be to my advantage and I am applying as a URM (African-American).

Because of my work and family responsibilities I will be applying to the following schools on a PART TIME basis. I was told that applying part time would give me a better chance. Please advise me, fellow future law students, about my chances of getting into the following schools on a part time basis, I would like to hear peoples thoughts regarding my application to the following schools:

Brooklyn,Fordham, Hofstra, New York Law School, Seton Hall, and St. Johns.

Thank you in advance for your responses and I look forward to joining you all in the ranks of law school, the legal profession, and beyond.

--dreday

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:07 pm

xxandyxx,

I think you've ordered your list accurately. Assuming that you are not a minority and have no absolutely stellar soft factor, then I'd say you'll be dinged at Stanford, may end up as a WL/Reject at NYU and at Boalt (otherwise I'd wager you'll be outright dinged), and likely in everywhere else. UVa might be a WL/Accept. You have a good list.

themillsman22

Bronze

Post by themillsman22 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:13 pm

Edit: Andy & Brown - I see that I had similar numbers to both of you before my retake. The advice I got was I had a chance to be admitted to at least some of the bottom half of the T14. In addition, some people showed me LSN profiles of people getting into Harvard with those numbers (non-URM too)... however, it was the exception and not the norm, and these people got in off the waitlist. My advice is just to apply to a few places and hope that a few say yes. It only takes one.

Alright, I've tried to resist for days, but I have to put it out there.
3.98, 166 (June), 172 (Sept)

My main concern is the two scores (descent addendum - broke leg week prior to June admin).

With my 166 T14 was within reach but questionable, but with my recent score, how much do my opportunities change? Worth at least throwing my hat in the ring at Harv and Stan?

Thanks to anyone with advice in advance.

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm

millsman:

I think everything t14 is now very realistic for you, including HS. Just go for it, you should be quite good at pretty much all of them.

RollerOfBigCigars

New

Post by RollerOfBigCigars » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:11 pm

millsman:

3.98, 172.

You are going to Harvard at the worst. 6 points is big enough to be simply ignored.
Last edited by RollerOfBigCigars on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreday3223

New

Im not trying to be rude....

Post by dreday3223 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:18 pm

I really am not trying to be rude, but could someone respond to my chances based on my above description. For someone who is bound to get into one T14, this post in my opinion is for them to brag and boost their egos. Some of the people here have the credentials to get into a T14 and at least be competitive at T3, yet they still want to know their odds and there is nothing wrong with that, but for someone like me there is a bit of question. I NEED this input, not to boost my ego but rather to really evaluate my chances of attending law school. This is something that is really important to me and all opinions would be really helpful. If I have a shot, please let me know, but if I have no shot in hell, then tell me that too. I value the opinions of the others on this forum and it has greatly improved my lsat score, so I figure I would have you all assess my chances. I am a very humble person and all opinions would be greatly appreciated but I just find it a little disconcerting that people would tell someone with obviously good credentials to apply to the T14 schools and would really disregard my post and not offer any advice, to an obviously borderline (and to some less than borderline) student. Please just tell it to me straight and I will work accordingly. I'm a big boy, I can handle whatever you all throw at me.

Thanks and Good Luck.

--dreday3223

P.S. - If I dont have a chance at any of these schools please offer any alternatives if you can.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi dre,
The reason I didn't respond to your post is because frankly I have no idea how part time admissions are handled. I can speculate, but it would be just that. I don't know of anyone on the board who is applying solely to part time programs, so it may be tough to get feedback. I'd assume that it's a little easier to get into the part time program than it is the full time, but this is just an assumption that isn't backed up by anything except my own reasoning. If you can't get any further advice, it may be useful to extensively research school's websites and even place a few (anonymous, if you like) calls to admissions offices to get their take on how part-time applications are handled. Perhaps you'll get a straight answer that way. Best of luck.

dreday3223

New

Thanks....ALL SPECULATION WELCOME!!!!

Post by dreday3223 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks alex for responding, right now I would take even speculation. This is a major decision for my family and I and I just want to make sure I am making the correct one. I really dont want to be a career paralegal. Thanks for your honesty though.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi dre,

With a 2.5/158 + URM it's difficult to say where you should be applying. Throw in the fact that you're applying part-time and it's even more difficult to speculate. If I were you I'd try and apply to a broad range of schools, perhaps as many as 15 or 20. This gives you the best opportunity to see how adcomms will treat you.

In the end, nobody on this forum or any other can know with certainty how your cycle will play out. Some of us spend a lot of time looking at various websites and discussing factors, but we are ultimately all deprived of necesary information when it comes to giving advice. For this reason, you shouldn't fret over the advice (or lack thereof) that you're given. Build the strongest app you can and send it off to as many schools as you feel you can afford. That's ultimately the best way to go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”