What are my odds? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Re: What are my odds?

Post by fruitoftheloom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm

babasil1 wrote:All help is appreciated.

LSAT - 157 (Little to no chance of retaking due to personal reasons.)
GPA - 3.66
International Student, major in international area studies + a minor in political science.
Three LORs, one Evaluation

Edit: While my school records indicate that my GPA is 3.66, the LSAC Academic Summary Report says it's 3.79. Don't know if that's of any particular relevance, but here ya go.

School List:
American
George Mason
Univ of Illinois
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
In at American & Temple.. dunno about the rest. YOu won't get a scholarship and these schools aren't worth $200k in debt. If you aren't independently wealthy, reconsider the retake.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

GPA - 3.66
International Student, major in international area studies + a minor in political science.

Edit: While my school records indicate that my GPA is 3.66, the LSAC Academic Summary Report says it's 3.79. Don't know if that's of any particular relevance, but here ya go.

School List:
American
George Mason
Univ of Illinois
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
This seems to suggest your best shot is George Mason O_o. 11 Accepts and 10 WL with around the same number. I am surprised so many say your in at American, but then again, I don't know if you should attend that school unless you really liked the DC area. Small shot of Illinois, but if you get in probably the best shot at money. Here is a link of people with similar numbers and their outcomes. If you save the .XLS you can see their exact numbers along with month applied and acceptance/denials.

http://myLSN.info/f6teeo

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 am

babasil1 wrote: LSAT - 157 (Little to no chance of retaking due to personal reasons.)

Yeah, thats awsome. the 3.66 doesnt matter at all. All that matters is the 3.79.

You need to retake in July and apply in August to do your GPA justice.

Dont apply to American. Only 1/3 of grads land full time long term JD reqired legal jobs.

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:36 pm

berkeley is my absolute dream school and i'm preparing to be crushed. if i don't get in there, i'm banking on UCLA. if i don't get into either, i'm cutting my losses and retaking the LSAT to apply again in the fall.

Application date: early January
LSAT: 170
GPA: 3.57
LORs: 1 average, 1 top-notch from a professor who was a Boalt alum
WE: 2 years FT in consulting, lots of WE in undergrad
PS: Focused on diversity.

Wrote a Why Berkeley and an addendum for my low GPA.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

fallingup wrote:berkeley is my absolute dream school and i'm preparing to be crushed. if i don't get in there, i'm banking on UCLA. if i don't get into either, i'm cutting my losses and retaking the LSAT to apply again in the fall.

Application date: early January
LSAT: 170
GPA: 3.57
LORs: 1 average, 1 top-notch from a professor who was a Boalt alum
WE: 2 years FT in consulting, lots of WE in undergrad
PS: Focused on diversity.

Wrote a Why Berkeley and an addendum for my low GPA.

In at UCLA, I would expect money (maybe apply to USC too to try to negotiate between the two). Berkeley is very iffy. Do you have some crazy personal statement? Otherwise, your more likely out than in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Holynorth wrote:3.32

Retaking in February (And probably in June just to make sure I can't get to a much better school or money).

Applied to Baylor, Texas Tech, and eventually SMU.
I am sure I will get in to Baylor and Tech.

However, should i wait to apply to SMU? I'm aiming for the FT program and my numbers aren't the greatest. Could I apply now and aim for acceptance/waitlist? Should I apply now and tell them to hold my application? Do I have a chance at 162/3.32?
Hi. Fellow Texan here. Im glad you are retaking in Feb + June. Thats very smart of you.

You are below both medians at SMU so admission is very unlikely. However you should apply now so they can get familiar with your app. Even if they ding you, they will reevaluate your app if you score higher. They probably wont ding you though. Theyll probably hold off to decide till you get your score.

Why no UHLC?

In at TT with a scholarship.

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Holynorth wrote: I'll go ahead and apply to SMU and score higher in February. I'm confident that I can do much better. What would I need to expect to get in with?
164+

On LSN, 37 out of 37 applicants were admitted with a 164-165/3.0-3.49 over the last 5 years.

Shoot for higher though!!! more points, more scholarship!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Holynorth wrote:I've read that Texas Tech doesn't really like to reconsider financial aide as they are already pretty generous. Do you think they will be willing to reconsider if I come back with a score 4-6 points higher?
idk. I was below techs GPA median + a high 160s score. They offered me like a half scholarship but I didnt try to get it upped. I bet they will though. Especially if you have a baylor/smu offer to negiotiate with. Try to get that top 50% to retain stipulation off too.
Last edited by Nova on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holynorth

Bronze

Post by Holynorth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 pm

Good luck!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mets0213

New

Post by Mets0213 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

160/3.34
Non-URM

What are my chances at?

Cardozo PT
Tulane
American
Brooklyn
Maryland
Florida

Thanks, have a good weekend everyone.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 pm

GPA - 3.66

School List:
American
George Mason
Univ of Illinois
Temple
Univ. of Maryland
Then your GPA is 3.79, which is a great GPA. Please, for the love of God retake, a high 160s could get you into Michigan, Northwestern, GULC and Cornell (data here). Look at Northwestern's employment data versus American's (spoiler: NU's % of students getting biglaw is almost twice American's % of students getting any legal job) and you can see why it's so important to retake.

As it stands, you have less than a 50% shot of getting into any of those schools, and the only ones worth going to are Temple an Maryland if you have a scholarship and in-state tuition and don't mind staying there all your life.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Mets0213 wrote:160/3.34
Non-URM

What are my chances at?

Cardozo PT
Tulane
American
Brooklyn
Maryland
Florida

Thanks, have a good weekend everyone.
slim to none

oh wait, you mean about getting into law school. I thought you meant upon graduation with a degree from one of those schools. you should get into most of them

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey guys, I've looked through a lot of LSN data which has helped me out quite a bit, but looking for some more anecdotal evidence. With a 174 and 3.61, does my relatively late application and below average GPA hurt me enough to keep me out at NYU or Columbia? Is there any evidence that early applications (non-ED) get a boost at these schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:01 pm

ph5354a wrote:Hey guys, I've looked through a lot of LSN data which has helped me out quite a bit, but looking for some more anecdotal evidence. With a 174 and 3.61, does my relatively late application and below average GPA hurt me enough to keep me out at NYU or Columbia? Is there any evidence that early applications (non-ED) get a boost at these schools?
There's ample evidence (including statements by admissions deans) that early applications get a boost, but you're above median for both schools' LSAT by 2 points, which is substantial, and your GPA is above the 25%ile and only .1 below the median for both. I'm in no way an expert with special knowledge, but just reading those numbers I'd bet money you are getting in.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:50 pm

fallingup wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Hey guys, I've looked through a lot of LSN data which has helped me out quite a bit, but looking for some more anecdotal evidence. With a 174 and 3.61, does my relatively late application and below average GPA hurt me enough to keep me out at NYU or Columbia? Is there any evidence that early applications (non-ED) get a boost at these schools?
There's ample evidence (including statements by admissions deans) that early applications get a boost, but you're above median for both schools' LSAT by 2 points, which is substantial, and your GPA is above the 25%ile and only .1 below the median for both. I'm in no way an expert with special knowledge, but just reading those numbers I'd bet money you are getting in.
Thanks! My research on LSN, etc. has shown the same thing, I just don't want to be too sure of myself, but it's nice to have some reassurance.

Sgttpc

New

Post by Sgttpc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:37 pm

If you are 75% on GpA and 25% on LSAT what are your chances? I'm not concerned with $$, more about admission. Do they look at them equally or does LSAT override GPa? Thanks

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm

sublime12089 wrote:Schools typically weigh LSAT as 3-6 times more important than GPA. Much better to be a splitter than a reverse splitter.
Not sure if this is accurate. USNWR weighs GPA at 0.10 and LSAT at 0.125, so I imagine schools would act accordingly:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... s-rankings

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:38 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
sublime12089 wrote:Schools typically weigh LSAT as 3-6 times more important than GPA. Much better to be a splitter than a reverse splitter.
Not sure if this is accurate. USNWR weighs GPA at 0.10 and LSAT at 0.125, so I imagine schools would act accordingly:
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gr ... s-rankings

That is what I have read and what the index scores I have seen seem to suggest. Keep in mind that the LSAT, unlike GPA is a standard way to compare applicants and is the most predictive measure of 1L success.
Do you have a link to this source?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”