170/2.4 Nontrad Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Great Expectations

New

170/2.4 Nontrad

Post by Great Expectations » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:12 am

Took forever to finish my UG with long periods off in the middle. Got married, had kids, had a unique career. Finally finished UG and now applying late. Obviously. Retaking the LSAT in Feb.

Schools:
UVA
WUSTL
GW
MINN
UIUC
UIB

Thoughts? Any other schools I should send an app to?

jcunni5

Bronze

Re: 170/2.4 Nontrad

Post by jcunni5 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 am

NU they love work exp and splitters

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 am

Being that heavy a splitter you're going to be pretty unpredictable; UT-Austin and all of the UC schools (Berkeley, UCLA, Davis, Hastings) are all out as they hate low GPAs. However, there are a lot more schools you have a strong chance at, especially since you have a lot of WE and life experience to pitch as unique.

Add Northwestern, BC, and Penn (Penn is the very highest possible reach for you IMO). You're likely in at WUSTL, fairly strong at Northwestern, have a shot at UVA if they love your PS/softs, and I'm sure you'll rack up acceptances from lower schools.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:21 am

OP, you mentioned that you are married with kids. Do you prefer any particular region of the country? With a 170, you have a good shot at $$$ from a regional school in the 20-50 range.

Great Expectations

New

Post by Great Expectations » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 am

Thirteen wrote:OP, you mentioned that you are married with kids. Do you prefer any particular region of the country? With a 170, you have a good shot at $$$ from a regional school in the 20-50 range.
Unfortunately I prefer mostly larger markets. Chicago, NY, LA, DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 am

Great Expectations wrote:
Thirteen wrote:OP, you mentioned that you are married with kids. Do you prefer any particular region of the country? With a 170, you have a good shot at $$$ from a regional school in the 20-50 range.
Unfortunately I prefer mostly larger markets. Chicago, NY, LA, DC.
I'm not sure about the other markets, but it seems like your list of schools covers the Chicago market well. Also, take a look at Iowa. If you send an e-mail to the admissions department requesting a waiver, they will reply instructing you to fax an LSAC report showing your LSAT score (they give waivers to anyone who scored 166 or higher).

The posters above were correct in stating that you have a shot at Northwestern. If you decide to apply, schedule an interview ASAP: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... rview.html

Good luck with your cycle. I have similar numbers and have applied to many of the same schools, so I'm sure we'll be riding the same waitlists all spring 8) .

Great Expectations

New

Post by Great Expectations » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 am

I am surprised about NW. I thought it was out of reach due to my GPA. I will definitely send in an app there as well.

Looking forward to the waitlists...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 am

Great Expectations wrote:I am surprised about NW. I thought it was out of reach due to my GPA. I will definitely send in an app there as well.

The biggest problem with NW is your LSAT, not your GPA. I think you'll need a 172 to have a shot. Your second problem with northwestern is that they want the work experience to be post grad, but since you had a real career, I think they'll count yours.

I think if you get a 172, and apply ED next cycle to Northwestern, you'll get in. This cycle is waitlist. I don't know if you'll get off it. Probably not with a 170.

Great Expectations

New

Post by Great Expectations » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Great Expectations wrote:I am surprised about NW. I thought it was out of reach due to my GPA. I will definitely send in an app there as well.

The biggest problem with NW is your LSAT, not your GPA. I think you'll need a 172 to have a shot. Your second problem with northwestern is that they want the work experience to be post grad, but since you had a real career, I think they'll count yours.

I think if you get a 172, and apply ED next cycle to Northwestern, you'll get in. This cycle is waitlist. I don't know if you'll get off it. Probably not with a 170.
Just to make it interesting... I am retaking in February as I fell short of expectations (the irony...) and well short of PT averages. Would a 2-3 point jump give me a decent shot at Northwestern for this cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:56 am

Great Expectations wrote:Just to make it interesting... I am retaking in February as I fell short of expectations (the irony...) and well short of PT averages. Would a 2-3 point jump give me a decent shot at Northwestern for this cycle?
I think a 3-point jump would give you a decent shot at any lower T14 this cycle. However, NU and Cornell are still the most likely to accept you with a 173+.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:57 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Just to make it interesting... I am retaking in February as I fell short of expectations (the irony...) and well short of PT averages. Would a 2-3 point jump give me a decent shot at Northwestern for this cycle?
I'm also interested in this, as I am retaking in February.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 am

Thirteen wrote:I'm also interested in this, as I am retaking in February.
What are your current stats?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:01 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Slightly lower GPA, 169 LSAT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:05 am

Thirteen wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Slightly lower than 2.4? Damn.

Honestly, if you can get above 170, you have a shot at NU, UVA, or a few other T14s next cycle if you get shut out this cycle. Just pick the one you most want to go to and ED there. EDing is like the golden ticket for splitters, and I know someone on TLS with a low 2.x/mid-170s got into NU by EDing a year or two back.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:10 am

FWIW, for Los Angeles, I think you'd be lucky to get in to Loyola. I know a guy at Southwestern with basically identical stats (and great softs) who was on Waitlist until a few days before orientation.

Great Expectations

New

Post by Great Expectations » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Slightly lower than 2.4? Damn.

Honestly, if you can get above 170, you have a shot at NU, UVA, or a few other T14s next cycle if you get shut out this cycle. Just pick the one you most want to go to and ED there. EDing is like the golden ticket for splitters, and I know someone on TLS with a low 2.x/mid-170s got into NU by EDing a year or two back.
I don't think I can wait another year. But I am definitely going to send an app in to NU and see what happens.

Great Expectations

New

Post by Great Expectations » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:15 am

Danteshek wrote:FWIW, for Los Angeles, I think you'd be lucky to get in to Loyola. I know a guy at Southwestern with basically identical stats (and great softs) who was on Waitlist until a few days before orientation.
Imagine me when I started to actually look at law schools and saw that almost every school in CA is GPA happy. If I want to get to CA now it will have to be through the back door.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:17 am

Great Expectations wrote: I don't think I can wait another year. But I am definitely going to send an app in to NU and see what happens.
Good luck. I'm submitting my app tomorrow (need to finish the Why NW? essay), and interviewing next week.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 am

vanwinkle wrote:Being that heavy a splitter you're going to be pretty unpredictable; UT-Austin and all of the UC schools (Berkeley, UCLA, Davis, Hastings) are all out as they hate low GPAs. However, there are a lot more schools you have a strong chance at, especially since you have a lot of WE and life experience to pitch as unique.

Add Northwestern, BC, and Penn (Penn is the very highest possible reach for you IMO). You're likely in at WUSTL, fairly strong at Northwestern, have a shot at UVA if they love your PS/softs, and I'm sure you'll rack up acceptances from lower schools.
I got rejected at BC with higher #'s. So, I don't know about them as splitter friendly. That being said, I have no softs and wrote a terrible essay.

OP's list looks pretty good though. Maybe add W&L and W&M, if you're interested.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Danteshek wrote:FWIW, for Los Angeles, I think you'd be lucky to get in to Loyola. I know a guy at Southwestern with basically identical stats (and great softs) who was on Waitlist until a few days before orientation.
Imagine me when I started to actually look at law schools and saw that almost every school in CA is GPA happy. If I want to get to CA now it will have to be through the back door.
Or just go where you get in and do your best! Don't underestimate the power of the local alumni network. If you want CA, I think you should go to school here.

It's worked out ok for me. I have 3 As this semester, and I'm still waiting on civ pro.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:

I think so. They only care about the highest LSAT, and I think they'll like your work experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Great Expectations wrote:Just to make it interesting... I am retaking in February as I fell short of expectations (the irony...) and well short of PT averages. Would a 2-3 point jump give me a decent shot at Northwestern for this cycle?
I think a 3-point jump would give you a decent shot at any lower T14 this cycle. However, NU and Cornell are still the most likely to accept you with a 173+.
Northwestern is the only realistic option for anyone below 3.0. Georgetown cuts off at 3.0, Cornell in the past might go below 3.0, but this cycle is straight up rejecting big splitters. Duke is out of the question as well. MVP all have cut offs above 3.0.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 am

Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Northwestern is the only realistic option for anyone below 3.0. Georgetown cuts off at 3.0, Cornell in the past might go below 3.0, but this cycle is straight up rejecting big splitters. Duke is out of the question as well. MVP all have cut offs above 3.0.
Does GULC part-time also cut off at 3.0? I don't think they did last year.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 am

Aeroplane wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Does GULC part-time also cut off at 3.0? I don't think they did last year.
I know at least one sub 3.0 did get in to PT last year, off the waitlist. Good point, people in this thread should consider that.

Though I'm not sure how PT programs will be treated now that they are included in the USNWR rankings.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:I know at least one sub 3.0 did get in to PT last year, off the waitlist. Good point, people in this thread should consider that.

Though I'm not sure how PT programs will be treated now that they are included in the USNWR rankings.
The latter is also a good point. Esp since I've heard some school have been cutting the size of PT programs as a response.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”