151/3.22

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
istorm88

151/3.22

Postby istorm88 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Hey TLS users, I'm ready to get beat up with some truth (be it good or bad).

I'm a white male, scored a 151 on the LSAT and have a 3.22 GPA from U of Rochester (not sure if it gets me any bonus points in the eyes of admissions folks. I was born and raised here, so I know it is respected locally, but have no clue how the "outside" world perceives it). I work full-time and have had legal internships, but of course 99% of other applicants have the same merits on their resume or why else would they bother applying?

What are my chances at Syracuse or Albany? I submitted my applications relatively early (october) and eagerly await the results (I was already rejected by UB, but I knew the chances were slim to none when I applied). I come to you guys with this question because I have been getting mixed feedback from admissions calculators and the other tools out there, so any feedback would be very helpful.

Also, I plan on staying in Upstate New York after getting my JD if that has any relevance to your comments.

Thanks much!

Snoopy1216

Re: 151/3,22

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:02 pm

istorm88 wrote:Hey TLS users, I'm ready to get beat up with some truth (be it good or bad).

I'm a white male, scored a 151 on the LSAT and have a 3.22 GPA from U of Rochester (not sure if it gets me any bonus points in the eyes of admissions folks. I was born and raised here, so I know it is respected locally, but have no clue how the "outside" world perceives it). I work full-time and have had legal internships, but of course 99% of other applicants have the same merits on their resume or why else would they bother applying?

What are my chances at Syracuse or Albany? !

I know someone, a white male, who got into Albany with a 151 and I believe 3.4ish gpa. I know that softs were not particularly spectacular, but had an interest in public service. I say, calm down and let the pieces fall where they may. If they like you, you have just as good of a chance as anyone! See where this cycle takes you and have good thoughts.

cubswin

Re: 151/3,22

Postby cubswin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:07 pm

istorm88 wrote: Hey TLS users, I'm ready to get beat up with some truth (be it good or bad).

I'm a white male, scored a 151 on the LSAT and have a 3.22 GPA from U of Rochester (not sure if it gets me any bonus points in the eyes of admissions folks. I was born and raised here, so I know it is respected locally, but have no clue how the "outside" world perceives it).

The only thing I know about your school is that Christopher Lasch was a professor there. Undergrad reputation usually doesn't matter much, however, unless you went to HYP.

istorm88 wrote: I work full-time and have had legal internships, but of course 99% of other applicants have the same merits on their resume or why else would they bother applying?

Yes, many applicants do. But to answer your question: because I scored 20 points higher on the LSAT than you. :wink:

istorm88 wrote:What are my chances at Syracuse or Albany? I submitted my applications relatively early (october) and eagerly await the results (I was already rejected by UB, but I knew the chances were slim to none when I applied). I come to you guys with this question because I have been getting mixed feedback from admissions calculators, statitics etc. Any feedback would be very helpful.

Also, I plan on staying in Upstate New York after getting my JD if that has any relevance.

Lawschoolnumbers makes Syracuse look grim, and Albany look bad, but not as bad as Syracuse. Your WE might help, though. And if you wrote a convincing personal statement about how each school is particularly good for your goals, then you might have a decent chance.

fl0w

Re: 151/3.22

Postby fl0w » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:13 pm

istorm88 wrote:Hey TLS users, I'm ready to get beat up with some truth (be it good or bad).

I'm a white male

I stopped reading here and made a :( face

soullogical

Postby soullogical » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:15 pm

You actually like living in Upstate NY? I grew up in Rochester as well...hated it. U or R is a respected school, especially the MBA and Medical schools. Anyway..from what I know you have a shot a both schools. I'm surprised you don't have UB on your list,it's much more affordable than Syracuse and higher ranked.

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

This is awesome, I was not expecting responses so soon.

Snoopy, it is a huge relief to hear that it is not unheard of for someone in my situation to get in to Albany. I also have an interest in public service, perhaps these are all good signs.

Cubswin, thanks for the knowledge on undergrad reputation (I wondered how much influence it had) and congrats on your lsat score! haha Your opinion reflects that of mine: a decent chance, but reason to be concerned

fl0w, my apologies lol

soullogical, glad to hear from a fellow Rochester native! Your opinion is easily the popular opinion of living in Rochester (hate). If I had some tangible reasons why I like it here, I'd try to sway your opinion, but I can't explain it intelligently so I won't lol UB is on the list, but I wasn't on theirs (I got my rejection letter last friday).

Thanks guys and keep the info coming!

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:01 pm

waitlisted at albany, still waiting on 'cuse

lawman335

Postby lawman335 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:30 am

hey dude your score is less , i suggest you to retake the test and try to get above 170 that will be a better score.....

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:35 am

If you want to increase your chances of acceptance and $$$ at schools you should consider retaking the LSAT. Softs like work experience and which UG you went to matter little; what schools really take into account are your LSAT and GPA. Since you have a low GPA the only thing you can improve is your LSAT score.

If you didn't study very much, there are real gains that people can make by studying. 3 months or so of study using guidance from the LSAT forum can help you elevate your score 10-12 points.

Just saying, if you don't get in this cycle, this is your strategy. Raise LSAT score, reapply. You'll get in next cycle that way, if you don't get into this one.

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Yeah, if it comes down to a rock bottom auto-admit school or retaking the LSAT and trying next cycle...I'm definitely doing the second option. 170+ is not realistic for me in any situation as the person above recommended, but I feel like I could improve. I only missed 6 ?'s on reading comprehension, but failed miserably on logic games.

Do you think it will hurt me if I test again in June and end up in the same score range (149-153)? I've heard multiple stances on how schools evaluate LSAT scores, but don't really know what to believe. When I opted not to retake for this cycle, I looked at it as "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".....rather than confirming my 151, I was hoping somebody would look at it a bit more liberally. The best I ever did on a practice test was a 160...and that was in the comfort of my own home with little to no stress, so I'm not sure how much better I can really do.

In the meantime, I've used some application fee waivers from a few schools just to see what kind of offers I get (WNEC, Nova SE, Dayton, Ohio Northern)

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:01 pm

istorm88 wrote:170+ is not realistic for me in any situation as the person above recommended, but I feel like I could improve.

Yeah, the above poster is an idiot. However, with a couple months of hard studying, using the tips and tricks in the LSAT forum here on TLS, you could probably increase to 160+ in time for the June test and that would make a big difference for you.

If you end up in the same score range, then it won't really hurt you because the schools in your range just take the highest LSAT score anyway. But with some hard work you should definitely get above a 151 next time.

The good news is that logic games is where the most improvement can be made. You can learn a lot on how to do those and improve dramatically there with a couple months of practice. Good luck!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:26 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
The good news is that logic games is where the most improvement can be made. You can learn a lot on how to do those and improve dramatically there with a couple months of practice. Good luck!

+1. I was averaging 40% correct on LG, then with some studying I got it to around 4 wrong a section (even got -3 on the mauve dinosaur June section). I got -6 on test day, but for many LG is where the easiest score improvements come from. I also think the LG section is the most fun to study.

JackDonaghy

Postby JackDonaghy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Sorry to hear that you got waitlisted at Albany. I am in a very similar spot as you, a Syracuse University grad, 5 years out of school with good work experience, 3.12 gpa, 152 LSAT, Chinese-American male.

Instead of applying to Syracuse, Albany, Buffalo, (The NY State Thruway Trio) with those numbers I chose to take the Feb LSAT to improve my numbers.

I am thinking that you should really get into Syracuse...from the LSAC pdf/grid...96 of 135 applicants with the same LSAT/GPA got in 2009 or 2008 (whenever they took the data from). Even if they moved up the standards a bit...I still give you a 60% or better shot of getting in.

In my case, I re-took that LSAT because I saw it as a no-lose proposition. All three of these schools say they take the higher score or that they give more weight to the higher score.

I wanted to turn those my 50-60% odds of getting into these schools into 80-90% odds...and parlay that into scholarship $$$...plus I have some reach schools I wanted to put into play (Miami)...

If you are throwing applications to schools with fee waivers...try Hofstra, they will waive if you apply online. For a Top 100 school, they are pretty loose with there LSAT/GPA metrics. Good Luck.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Just a FYI, Syracuse is 62,000 a year with tuition/living/books etc. That's 186,000$ for a school that's not in the top100. If you can retake and get some cash money there, I think you'd be making a wise decision.

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 am

Thanks for the post JackDonaghy. It kinda feels like alcholics anonymous minus the health issues, it's comforting to hear about other people in similar circumstances and what they do to work through. I'll definately throw Hofstra in the mix if I have nothing to lose.

Beach_Terror, those figures are what keep me tossing and turning every night. I really love the school, but $180,000ish to get a degree is insanity. Yes, I've kicked around the idea of IBR and getting my loans forgiven...but paying interest on those loans alone will be a staggering amount.

So here's my new plan assuming I do not get a decent package from any schools....

My school, U of Rochester, has a one year Masters program in Education Policy. They give U of R undergrads substantial award amounts to join the program (50% tuition scholarship) and I'll be learning from some of the best in the field. This will give me another year to improve my LSAT while earning a masters degree. Essentially, I will invest 15k to have a masters that will boost my resume for law school applications, boost my resume for post law school endeavors, or I can always use the masters to work in a school district or a university or for the government.

The odds are looking slim that I will be receiving an attractive law school package, so it looks like this might be the route I take. It's not ideal, but it looks like it'll work out in the long run

mphill

Postby mphill » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:53 pm

I am in the same boat as you, I have a 152/3.22 and applied to Syracuse, Suffolk, Franklin Pierce, Roger Williams, and WNEC.

I have heard back from Roger Williams, Franklin Pierce, and WNEC. Got into RWU, got into WNEC with 12K/year, and waitlisted at FP (that one surprised me a bit). I am dying to hear from Syracuse. The applicant grid on LSAC.org makes me feel better since about 71% with similiar numbers getting offers to join the school. The range is massive (150-154 lsat and a 3.00 to 3.24 gpa) so I am hoping my (and also your) chances are higher even than that. Keep us updated to your progess!

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:45 pm

I agree, LSAC does make it look promising to get into Syracuse. What rattles me is checking lawschoolnumbers.com and looking at cuse's 08-09 cycle, makes our numbers look bleak. Hopefully we end up with good news, it's a real kick in the nuts to be rejected lol

mphill

Postby mphill » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

True, those numbers are not overly impressive. Both of us are comfortably above the 25th in GPA and are in easy range of the 25th LSAT, so hopefully that bodes well....so good luck to you...just better luck to me =)

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Rejection from Syracuse via snail mail...sad, yet freeing to finally hear a response from them.

mphill

Postby mphill » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear that man, I will get my (probably rejection) letter Tuesday. It only took a month so who knows, but id say 99% donzo.

istorm88

Postby istorm88 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:07 pm

What schools are you leaning towards, assuming Syracuse rejects?

mphill

Postby mphill » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Ya, SYR was a reject, sad but not unexpected. I just applied to UMaine, they sent me an email to apply a couple weeks ago. It might have been a mass email, but they waived my fee, so at this point, whats 12 more dollars? I was really impressed with Roger Williams, and though I am sure many people will dis the school, after visiting a lot of "better" schools, I really was most impressed with RWU. I read a lot of this dribble written, especially on this website, but I really fully believe more of it than not is just B.S. I am leaning towards RWU, but if in at UMaine I will probably go there, and Suffolk would be a strong consideration.

Would have been easier if I just got into 'Cuse!

What about you?

Return to “What are my chances?”