University of Chicago

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ConsideringLawSchool

University of Chicago

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm

With a 3.25 GPA, excellent softs (unique, national-level leadership activities that explain GPA, 2 years post-college work experience), great LORs, and interesting material for a PS/diversity statement (though not URM/LGBT), what LSAT score would be required to get into UChicago?

Would 178 do it? Higher? Lower?

Thanks!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Re: University of Chicago

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Just shoot as high as you can on the exam...there is really not formula. People predict based upon what you "have" and not so much what you might get. Plus it varies from cycle to cycle to a certain extent.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:19 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:With a 3.25 GPA, excellent softs (unique, national-level leadership activities that explain GPA, 2 years post-college work experience), great LORs, and interesting material for a PS/diversity statement (though not URM/LGBT), what LSAT score would be required to get into UChicago?

Thanks!

There isn't an LSAT that would give you a good shot at Chicago. You absolutely need a 172 to have more than a 0 percent shot. After that the higher the better, but I wouldn't be surprised with the waitlisted you even if you got a 180. But you've got a hell of better shot than if you just get 172.

You better make sure that PS is great, because under 3.5 is usually deny at Chicago.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:With a 3.25 GPA, excellent softs (unique, national-level leadership activities that explain GPA, 2 years post-college work experience), great LORs, and interesting material for a PS/diversity statement (though not URM/LGBT), what LSAT score would be required to get into UChicago?

Thanks!

There isn't an LSAT that would give you a good shot at Chicago. You absolutely need a 172 to have more than a 0 percent shot. After that the higher the better, but I wouldn't be surprised with the waitlisted you even if you got a 180. But you've got a hell of better shot than if you just get 172.

You better make sure that PS is great, because under 3.5 is usually deny at Chicago.

Would ED make a difference?

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:51 pm

There is hope. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/clarencio

175+ seems right. People on this site seem to concur that ED is good for splitters.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:52 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks!

It should help. And if you'd go to Chicago over Mich, Penn, and UVA with moderate scholarships I'd go for it.

You should be aiming for 180.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Thanks!

It should help. And if you'd go to Chicago over Mich, Penn, and UVA with moderate scholarships I'd go for it.

I am absolutely in love with the city. No interest in New York, New Haven (even if I had a shot), or West Coast. If I get 179-180, may throw my hat in for Harvard (have some unique factors that might make it worth a role of the dice). Otherwise, UChicago makes the most sense, no?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:09 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I am absolutely in love with the city. No interest in New York, New Haven (even if I had a shot), or West Coast. If I get 179-180, may throw my hat in for Harvard (have some unique factors that might make it worth a role of the dice). Otherwise, UChicago makes the most sense, no?

Honestly, with a 179-180/3.25, and no interest in NYC, I would forget about HLS and take my chances with an ED at Chicago.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I am absolutely in love with the city. No interest in New York, New Haven (even if I had a shot), or West Coast. If I get 179-180, may throw my hat in for Harvard (have some unique factors that might make it worth a role of the dice). Otherwise, UChicago makes the most sense, no?

Come back with your LSAT in hand, but I think EDing to Chicago is probably your best choice. You won't get much of a scholarship at MVP.

If you want to work in Chicago after school, you should be looking at Chicago, Michigan and Northwestern. 172 would get you into Northwestern and a 170 gives you a good shot at Michigan. Northwestern and Michigan will place better in Chicago than Virigina, Penn, Berkely and NYU.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Come back with your LSAT in hand, but I think EDing to Chicago is probably your best choice. You won't get much of a scholarship at MVP.

If you want to work in Chicago after school, you should be looking at Chicago, Michigan and Northwestern. 172 would get you into Northwestern and a 170 gives you a good shot at Michigan. Northwestern and Michigan will place better in Chicago than Virigina, Penn, Berkely and NYU.

I don't know if I want to work in Chicago, but I'm not interested in Biglaw anyway--public interest/child advocacy. Is Chicago still a good bet?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:43 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:I am absolutely in love with the city. No interest in New York, New Haven (even if I had a shot), or West Coast. If I get 179-180, may throw my hat in for Harvard (have some unique factors that might make it worth a role of the dice). Otherwise, UChicago makes the most sense, no?

IMO you have no shot at HLS even with a 180, unless URM is one of your "unique factors." Given your preferences, you should get a 175+ and apply to Chicago ED.

ConsideringLawSchool

Postby ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:47 pm

im_blue wrote:

IMO you have no shot at HLS even with a 180, unless URM is one of your "unique factors." Given your preferences, you should get a 175+ and apply to Chicago ED.

Not URM. And yes, all things considered, I'd be happy with a nice quick Chicago ED cycle. Dream city, T6 school despite GPA, no complaints :-)

With 175+, think odds are good for Chicago ED?

Return to “What are my chances?”