How many gpa points does 1 lsat point equal

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ariadne86

How many gpa points does 1 lsat point equal

Postby ariadne86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Apologies if this doesn't belong in this forum, but I'm just wondering how law schools "translate" lsat points into gpa points, if any such conversation happens. Also, is the conversion rate less for GPA's over 3.5? Thanks!

Ragged

Re: How many gpa points does 1 lsat point equal

Postby Ragged » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:33 pm

In the range ~170 ~3.8, roughly I'd say 1 lsat is about .1 GPA, I got no evidence to prove it though, just a feel that I'm getting. I'm not sure about other ranges.

Neelio

Postby Neelio » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I've been wondering that for a long time... I'm pretty sure it varies by school. You would have to know the formula they use to standardize LSAT/GPA, and where it would figure on an index. Unfortunately, these formulas aren't open for public view.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:16 pm

I think there are shelves in place as well. The difference between, say, a 159 and a 160 seems to be far greater than a 160 and a 161. The same seems to be true with GPA, but not as much.

Good Luck with your cycle!

editforclarity

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Every school uses an index, most of which are aggregated by LSAC and available to users, to calculate a single number from LSAT and GPA. It follows this form: LSAT*x + GPA*y + z = index.

But most schools seem to use cutoffs, so an extreme reverse split with a high GPA might give an acceptable index number but the school tosses the application for having a low LSAT.

So it depends on the school and LSAT/GPA more than the index. Even when there is a conversion, it's simpler to use LSN and see the results for people with similar numbers.

Return to “What are my chances?”