How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:30 pm

I know it's too late for this cycle, but if I decided to wait until next year and apply ED for a full scholarship, I am trying to figure out what my chances would be. Does anyone know how many ED acceptances they give out, or what the median GPA and LSAT are for people who get in ED? It's hard to tell from LSN, because there don't seem to be that many people who applied/got in ED this year or last year. So that's making me wonder if they only give out a few ED acceptances.

With a 3.82/173, how good do you think my chances would be if I applied ED next cycle?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:34 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I know it's too late for this cycle, but if I decided to wait until next year and apply ED for a full scholarship, I am trying to figure out what my chances would be. Does anyone know how many ED acceptances they give out, or what the median GPA and LSAT are for people who get in ED? It's hard to tell from LSN, because there don't seem to be that many people who applied/got in ED this year or last year. So that's making me wonder if they only give out a few ED acceptances.

With a 3.82/173, how good do you think my chances would be if I applied ED next cycle?

You'd be a virtual lock. I'd go fishing for for a named scholarship from MVP, Duke, or GULC first though with those numbers...

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:08 pm

GeePee wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I know it's too late for this cycle, but if I decided to wait until next year and apply ED for a full scholarship, I am trying to figure out what my chances would be. Does anyone know how many ED acceptances they give out, or what the median GPA and LSAT are for people who get in ED? It's hard to tell from LSN, because there don't seem to be that many people who applied/got in ED this year or last year. So that's making me wonder if they only give out a few ED acceptances.

With a 3.82/173, how good do you think my chances would be if I applied ED next cycle?

You'd be a virtual lock. I'd go fishing for for a named scholarship from MVP, Duke, or GULC first though with those numbers...


I'd love to get a good scholarship from Georgetown...I'd prefer that over almost anything except maybe acceptance to Yale because I love DC and don't want to leave. But it seems like they are pretty stingy with merit aid...from reading the threads and browsing LSN, it seems like a lot of people with better numbers than mine did not get any money or got very little from Georgetown last year. So that's why I was thinking that if I decided I couldn't bear to leave DC, I might be better off with a scholarship from GW than paying sticker at Georgetown, because I want to go into public interest and don't want to graduate with $150k in debt.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:12 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
GeePee wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I know it's too late for this cycle, but if I decided to wait until next year and apply ED for a full scholarship, I am trying to figure out what my chances would be. Does anyone know how many ED acceptances they give out, or what the median GPA and LSAT are for people who get in ED? It's hard to tell from LSN, because there don't seem to be that many people who applied/got in ED this year or last year. So that's making me wonder if they only give out a few ED acceptances.

With a 3.82/173, how good do you think my chances would be if I applied ED next cycle?

You'd be a virtual lock. I'd go fishing for for a named scholarship from MVP, Duke, or GULC first though with those numbers...


I'd love to get a good scholarship from Georgetown...I'd prefer that over almost anything except maybe acceptance to Yale because I love DC and don't want to leave. But it seems like they are pretty stingy with merit aid...from reading the threads and browsing LSN, it seems like a lot of people with better numbers than mine did not get any money or got very little from Georgetown last year. So that's why I was thinking that if I decided I couldn't bear to leave DC, I might be better off with a scholarship from GW than paying sticker at Georgetown, because I want to go into public interest and don't want to graduate with $150k in debt.

FWIW UVA gives people with your numbers good money, especially if you demonstrate your ties to the area and the D.C. market.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 pm

GeePee wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
GeePee wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I know it's too late for this cycle, but if I decided to wait until next year and apply ED for a full scholarship, I am trying to figure out what my chances would be. Does anyone know how many ED acceptances they give out, or what the median GPA and LSAT are for people who get in ED? It's hard to tell from LSN, because there don't seem to be that many people who applied/got in ED this year or last year. So that's making me wonder if they only give out a few ED acceptances.

With a 3.82/173, how good do you think my chances would be if I applied ED next cycle?

You'd be a virtual lock. I'd go fishing for for a named scholarship from MVP, Duke, or GULC first though with those numbers...


I'd love to get a good scholarship from Georgetown...I'd prefer that over almost anything except maybe acceptance to Yale because I love DC and don't want to leave. But it seems like they are pretty stingy with merit aid...from reading the threads and browsing LSN, it seems like a lot of people with better numbers than mine did not get any money or got very little from Georgetown last year. So that's why I was thinking that if I decided I couldn't bear to leave DC, I might be better off with a scholarship from GW than paying sticker at Georgetown, because I want to go into public interest and don't want to graduate with $150k in debt.

FWIW UVA gives people with your numbers good money, especially if you demonstrate your ties to the area and the D.C. market.


Fingers crossed on that. I got into UVA via the status checker last Wednesday, but have yet to receive an e-mail or snail mail. My status checker says snail mail was sent 1/4, but it has not arrived yet, which is odd because I live less than 3 hours from Charlottesville. A lot of other people who have gotten in have gotten e-mails or phone calls. Do you think the fact that mine is coming via snail mail means there's a scholarship offer? I doubt it, based on what someone else said today.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25 pm

GeePee wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
GeePee wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I know it's too late for this cycle, but if I decided to wait until next year and apply ED for a full scholarship, I am trying to figure out what my chances would be. Does anyone know how many ED acceptances they give out, or what the median GPA and LSAT are for people who get in ED? It's hard to tell from LSN, because there don't seem to be that many people who applied/got in ED this year or last year. So that's making me wonder if they only give out a few ED acceptances.

With a 3.82/173, how good do you think my chances would be if I applied ED next cycle?

You'd be a virtual lock. I'd go fishing for for a named scholarship from MVP, Duke, or GULC first though with those numbers...


I'd love to get a good scholarship from Georgetown...I'd prefer that over almost anything except maybe acceptance to Yale because I love DC and don't want to leave. But it seems like they are pretty stingy with merit aid...from reading the threads and browsing LSN, it seems like a lot of people with better numbers than mine did not get any money or got very little from Georgetown last year. So that's why I was thinking that if I decided I couldn't bear to leave DC, I might be better off with a scholarship from GW than paying sticker at Georgetown, because I want to go into public interest and don't want to graduate with $150k in debt.

FWIW UVA gives people with your numbers good money, especially if you demonstrate your ties to the area and the D.C. market.


I can personally vouch for this. Don't sell yourself short with GW... you will get T14 money.

User avatar
nallku
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby nallku » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:05 am

Although I would normally say follow the traditional advice of go "the best school you can get in to," a name partner at a large Arizona firm (now retired), responded to the same question by saying hands down, go to GW with the full scholarship. He stated that being able to graduate without debt would put one "years ahead of their peers." Although many will not agree, he said that grads from UVA & Duke almost identical to GW grads.

Also the GW scholarship is NOT dependant on GPA, other scholarships are dependent on GPA.

Finally, see what offers you get from other schools BEFORE you ED at GW. GW date (last year), was December 15th. Many other schools have already made offers by then, with money. Apply early.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:25 am

nallku wrote:Although I would normally say follow the traditional advice of go "the best school you can get in to," a name partner at a large Arizona firm (now retired), responded to the same question by saying hands down, go to GW with the full scholarship. He stated that being able to graduate without debt would put one "years ahead of their peers." Although many will not agree, he said that grads from UVA & Duke almost identical to GW grads.

Also the GW scholarship is NOT dependant on GPA, other scholarships are dependent on GPA.

Finally, see what offers you get from other schools BEFORE you ED at GW. GW date (last year), was December 15th. Many other schools have already made offers by then, with money. Apply early.


I've already applied to a bunch of schools this year and am already in at UVA. But I may decide to wait a year and either defer admission at UVA or somewhere else, or just start over next cycle and possibly ED at GW. The main thing I am trying to figure out is whether I should apply to GW this year in hopes that I could still get a decent scholarship. If my chances of getting ED with a full ride next year are really good I may decide it's not worth applying this year. That way if I decide to wait until next year I don't have to go through the whole process of writing a PS and everything again. But I am trying to figure out how close it is to guaranteed that I would get the ED scholarship if I applied for it. Sorry, I know that sounds confusing.

When you say not dependent on GPA, does that mean that keeping it does not depend on maintaining a certain GPA in law school?

Of the T14, do you know which schools' scholarships are contingent on grades?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: How many ED acceptances does GW give out?

Postby GeePee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 am

nallku wrote:Although I would normally say follow the traditional advice of go "the best school you can get in to," a name partner at a large Arizona firm (now retired), responded to the same question by saying hands down, go to GW with the full scholarship. He stated that being able to graduate without debt would put one "years ahead of their peers." Although many will not agree, he said that grads from UVA & Duke almost identical to GW grads.

Also the GW scholarship is NOT dependant on GPA, other scholarships are dependent on GPA.

Finally, see what offers you get from other schools BEFORE you ED at GW. GW date (last year), was December 15th. Many other schools have already made offers by then, with money. Apply early.

A lot of the reason for this might be that GW, UVA and Duke probably don't place very highly into Arizona. The advice *might* be sound, but I doubt there's much exposure to these schools in Arizona.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests