Where to Apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kp009

Where to Apply?

Postby kp009 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:58 am

3.37 GPA undergrad @ Duke, majors in phil and poli sci, honor's thesis for grad with distinction in philosophy
4.0 GPA in Criminal Justice (joke program) M.S. expected this summer
160 on Dec 08 LSAT, 170 Dec 09 LSAT (no great explanation for difference, but 170 is more representative, always practiced between 169-172)
Caucasian female, underwhelming resume/leadership experience, Florida resident

I would love to go to Cornell or UVA and will apply, but trying to figure out where I should apply especially to maximize scholarship $$.

BenJ

Re: Where to Apply?

Postby BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:52 am

How long have you been out of undergrad, and will the MS be obvious as a joke program to the schools you apply to? (That is, is it from a degree mill or a relatively serious school that just had an easy program?)

Indiana-Bloomington is probably your best bet in terms of a good school that should give you $$. Again, hard to judge how they will interpret the MS program without knowing more. If they weight mostly your graduate GPA, you could go a lot higher. Apply to a bunch of the 15-30 ranked schools; you'll probably get different reactions to the MS and different GPAs from different adcomms; some might focus on the 4.0, in which case they'll give you lots of $$, and some might focus on the 3.37, in which case you might only get in off waitlists. Also, Wash-St Louis has acquired a reputation for admitting literally everyone with an LSAT 170 and above regardless of anything else, so you should get in there safely and maybe get some $$.

UVA and Cornell are much like the 15-30s in that their reactions to the GPAs are unpredictable. You might find it worth applying to some other similar T14 schools as well. 3.37/170 is good enough for some consideration at Georgetown and outside shots at Penn, Michigan and Duke, all of whom might leap at the 4.0 instead.

kp009

Re: Where to Apply?

Postby kp009 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks for the reply.

I graduated UG in May 09 so less than 1 year out. The program isn't too much of a joke and I've overloaded each semester to get it done by the end of summer. Should I address the grad school in PS or an adendum? Was hoping to go into federal law enforcement but a leg injury with nerve damage nixed those plans; not really compelling enough for a PS but not sure if it's an appropriate topic for an addendum either.

Return to “What are my chances?”