Where to go with these numbers?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TenTen

Where to go with these numbers?

Postby TenTen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Hello, I have already applied to a decent number of schools, but would like to get some advice on where else I should apply and if I should even apply anywhere else this late. I am pretty open to location and type of school, and have a little money left to spend on applications. My stats are: 157 LSAT, 3.94 GPA, URM(African American female). Any real honest advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

rw2264

Re: Where to go with these numbers?

Postby rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

i'd say you should look in the 14-20 range if you haven't already. some of those schools might have some love for you since you're a URM and your GPA is so high. if i were you i'd try to get to a 165 and go T6.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:30 pm

From LSP, it has you at "consider" at Cornell, UT, Vandy, and Emory. So those could be your reaches. Then it has you at either "strong consider" or "admit" from W&M up, making those targets and safeties. I'd throw apps out everywhere if you get fee waivers because being a URM, you'll have a slightly less predictable cycle. Good luck!

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 pm

UVA gives out fee waivers like candy; it's always worth applying there, and you have an outside shot as URM. They like splitters, too. Otherwise, beesknees has it basically right. Choose a few of the lower T14 (UVA and Cornell are probably your best prospects) and then blanket a bunch of the 15-30 range and choose some lower schools for safeties. If you think you underperformed on the LSAT, you can wait and retake it in June, but I would only recommend that if you do much better than a 157 on practice tests. Might be worth waiting and applying in September anyway.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

Everything below HYSCCN is a possibility for the OP. Apply to schools you like 7 and below. The bit about UVa fee waivers is very true. That GPA will help a lot. Somewhere like Cornell should be a pretty good bet.

jerjon2

Postby jerjon2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Rand M. wrote:Everything below HYSCCN is a possibility for the OP. Apply to schools you like 7 and below. The bit about UVa fee waivers is very true. That GPA will help a lot. Somewhere like Cornell should be a pretty good bet.

I think CCN is possible, NYU mostly (it would be a long shot but I think it could happen) I think most of whats below CCN is a very good possibility (except Northwestern unless OP has WE)

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
Rand M. wrote:Everything below HYSCCN is a possibility for the OP. Apply to schools you like 7 and below. The bit about UVa fee waivers is very true. That GPA will help a lot. Somewhere like Cornell should be a pretty good bet.

I think CCN is possible, NYU mostly (it would be a long shot but I think it could happen) I think most of whats below CCN is a very good possibility (except Northwestern unless OP has WE)

Yeah, on second thought everything below HYS seems possible. That GPA might as well be a 4.0. Really impressive stuff. To be frank, I have heard of people getting into Harvard with LSATs in the 150s. Anything is possible with that GPA.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm

Thinking about it further, definitely go for all T14 schools that weight a bit more on GPA than LSAT: Berkeley, Penn, and Duke in addition to Cornell and UVA. (Northwestern does as well, but it's too late for their mandatory interviews unless you live in Chicago and can do on-campus.) Hurry with the Berkeley app, though; they like early apps, and their admissions close at the end of January.

TenTen

Postby TenTen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:00 am

Thank you to everyone who responded your advice was really helpful. I have already applied to UVA, Cornell and Duke due to fee waivers I will definitely look in to some of the other schools listed on these posts.

Thanks again!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:04 am

TenTen wrote:Thank you to everyone who responded your advice was really helpful. I have already applied to UVA, Cornell and Duke due to fee waivers I will definitely look in to some of the other schools listed on these posts.

Thanks again!

Consider Penn, Georgetown, UT, Vanderbilt also. That GPA is killer, that and your URM status will take you places. If you can afford it I'd even recommend taking a shot in the dark at Harvard. Seriously, with that GPA and being a URM you never know...

TenTen

Postby TenTen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 am

vanwinkle wrote:
TenTen wrote:Thank you to everyone who responded your advice was really helpful. I have already applied to UVA, Cornell and Duke due to fee waivers I will definitely look in to some of the other schools listed on these posts.

Thanks again!

Consider Penn, Georgetown, UT, Vanderbilt also. That GPA is killer, that and your URM status will take you places. If you can afford it I'd even recommend taking a shot in the dark at Harvard. Seriously, with that GPA and being a URM you never know...

I honestly never would have thought of many of those schools. I thought they were completely out of reach....

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 am

TenTen wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Thanks again!

I honestly never would have thought of many of those schools. I thought they were completely out of reach....

Get those apps in. Your LSAT is low but your GPA is killer, and GPA+URM can be a winning combination almost anywhere.

TenTen

Postby TenTen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 am

BenJ wrote:Thinking about it further, definitely go for all T14 schools that weight a bit more on GPA than LSAT: Berkeley, Penn, and Duke in addition to Cornell and UVA. (Northwestern does as well, but it's too late for their mandatory interviews unless you live in Chicago and can do on-campus.) Hurry with the Berkeley app, though; they like early apps, and their admissions close at the end of January.

I definitely do not live close enough to make a Chicago interview unfortunately, but I will definitely look in to the others.

TenTen

Postby TenTen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 am

vanwinkle wrote:
TenTen wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Thanks again!

Get those apps in. Your LSAT is low but your GPA is killer, and GPA+URM can be a winning combination almost anywhere.

Alright, I will take a look at those schools and try to put a few more applications out as soon as possible.

Return to “What are my chances?”