3.18 / 172

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LM2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

3.18 / 172

Postby LM2014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:57 pm

Hello, I am looking to see which schools to apply to with these stats. I am not applying this year, and will be looking to enter in August 2011. I am just thinking far ahead so I can apply early to the best possible school where I could possibly get in. I understand the gpa is a weakness. I don't know if it matters, but my minor was 3.5, and the last 3 semesters of school I maintained a 3.5.

I went to a decent public university. Nothing special, though it is a nice school. I was an international affairs major. I have been teaching English in Japan, and I love it so I am going to stay here until next year. Overall I will have about 2 years of experience over here. I would like to go into international law. I am a white male, so no URM status. If it helps, I speak Spanish and Japanese, and I have a lot of international experience. I am hoping this will make me more unique, or at least stand out a bit compared to the average applicant. Maybe not, but I can hope.

Here are the schools I am considering. Please add any recommendations:

Northwestern
Duke
Cornell
Virginia
Chicago(??)
Georgetown
GW
American
WUSTL

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:00 pm

LM2014 wrote:Hello, I am looking to see which schools to apply to with these stats. I am not applying this year, and will be looking to enter in August 2011. I am just thinking far ahead so I can apply early to the best possible school where I could possibly get in. I understand the gpa is a weakness. I don't know if it matters, but my minor was 3.5, and the last 3 semesters of school I maintained a 3.5.

I went to a decent public university. Nothing special, though it is a nice school. I was an international affairs major. I have been teaching English in Japan, and I love it so I am going to stay here until next year. Overall I will have about 2 years of experience over here. I would like to go into international law. I am a white male, so no URM status. If it helps, I speak Spanish and Japanese, and I have a lot of international experience. I am hoping this will make me more unique, or at least stand out a bit compared to the average applicant. Maybe not, but I can hope.

Here are the schools I am considering. Please add any recommendations:

Northwestern
Duke
Cornell
Virginia
Chicago(??)
Georgetown
GW
American
WUSTL


I'd add Michigan and leave off WUSTL, American and GW unless you are trolling for cash.

What kind of international law?

kismet
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby kismet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

We're pretty much numbers twins and I speak both those languages too!

I'm applying this cycle and including pretty much all those schools on your list plus a few mega reaches (may as well dream :) )

LM2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby LM2014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:28 pm

[/quote]

I'd add Michigan and leave off WUSTL, American and GW unless you are trolling for cash.

What kind of international law?[/quote]


Thanks. I've heard Michigan's international program is very good, and I like the upper midwest. I added American and GW because they are considered in the top 10 for international law. I am interested in WUSTL because they have a program I am interested in. If I could get near full tuition at a WUSTL wouldn't it be better than a Michigan at cost? The debt of law school is scary for sure.

I'm undecided which type. I just wish to work internationally. I am interested in public law, such as working for NGOs, UN, treaties, etc. I'm also interested in private international law. Something like Illinois Tech's program where you can spend a whole year abroad is ideal to me. I will have to focus this more clearly and decide a path when I get to law school
Last edited by LM2014 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LM2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby LM2014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

kismet wrote:We're pretty much numbers twins and I speak both those languages too!

I'm applying this cycle and including pretty much all those schools on your list plus a few mega reaches (may as well dream :) )


Haha I'd be interested to see your results. That's really strange you speak those 2 language also. I love learning languages, and I'm interested in Russian, Mandarin and French also. I am considering taking a long shot at NYU and Columbia. Are you a URM? You may be able to get up there decently. It'd be great if you could let me know how you do.

User avatar
rw2264
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:59 am

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 pm

i would apply everywhere from CCN down if i were you. you're applying early and your experience is very interesting. you never know.

LM2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby LM2014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CCN stand for? I did a quick search, but only found the acronym and I'm not sure what it stands for.

Thanks!

jerjon2
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby jerjon2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:13 pm

LM2014 wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what does CCN stand for? I did a quick search, but only found the acronym and I'm not sure what it stands for.

Thanks!


Columbia, Chicago, NYU (Generally accepted to be the tier of schools just below Harvard, Yale and Stanford (HYS))

LM2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby LM2014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:33 pm

rw2264 wrote:i would apply everywhere from CCN down if i were you. you're applying early and your experience is very interesting. you never know.



Wow. I figured with my gpa I'd be an auto-reject for CCN. Chicago and Northwestern is where I would like to go since I want to be in Chicago. If I can get in to NW with some decent money I would take it over CCN with no money. Would that be a wise decision? The job prospects can't be that much better from CCN than NW are they? If I could get a full ride somewhere like GULC I would consider it seriously also since international law is my real passion. I think i'll leave Boalt off of the list since they aren't splitter friendly.

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby saltoftheearth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 pm

LM2014 wrote:
rw2264 wrote:i would apply everywhere from CCN down if i were you. you're applying early and your experience is very interesting. you never know.



Wow. I figured with my gpa I'd be an auto-reject for CCN. Chicago and Northwestern is where I would like to go since I want to be in Chicago. If I can get in to NW with some decent money I would take it over CCN with no money. Would that be a wise decision? The job prospects can't be that much better from CCN than NW are they? If I could get a full ride somewhere like GULC I would consider it seriously also since international law is my real passion. I think i'll leave Boalt off of the list since they aren't splitter friendly.


not sure you'd be able to get too much $ (if any) from NU, and surely not a full ride "somewhere like GULC"

but you never know until you apply

LM2014
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: 3.18 / 172

Postby LM2014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:
LM2014 wrote:
rw2264 wrote:i would apply everywhere from CCN down if i were you. you're applying early and your experience is very interesting. you never know.



Wow. I figured with my gpa I'd be an auto-reject for CCN. Chicago and Northwestern is where I would like to go since I want to be in Chicago. If I can get in to NW with some decent money I would take it over CCN with no money. Would that be a wise decision? The job prospects can't be that much better from CCN than NW are they? If I could get a full ride somewhere like GULC I would consider it seriously also since international law is my real passion. I think i'll leave Boalt off of the list since they aren't splitter friendly.


not sure you'd be able to get too much $ (if any) from NU, and surely not a full ride "somewhere like GULC"

but you never know until you apply


Yeah, I believe you're right. It sounds crazy, but I am seriously considering retaking the LSAT to try to reach 175, which I think should make a big difference in money I hope. Since I am not applying until next year I have a lot of time to learn the LSAT better than I did before. I feel like I could do better than 172 if I study for 6 months and take it in June. This time I will get private lessons from powerscore I think.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests