2.95/148 Can I get in anywhere?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
futurejd

2.95/148 Can I get in anywhere?

Postby futurejd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:03 pm

URM, graduated from UPenn with good work experience and recommendations.
I know I can get into Cooley, but is there anywhere else that will accept me?
How about Penn State, Michigan State, Southwestern, New Engladn, Franklin Pierce, UCF, Gonzaga, Northeasern, Loyola Chicago, New York Law, Thomas Jefferson, Willamette? Do you think I have chance there?!?

likemiketysonbigass

Re: 2.95/148 Can I get in anywhere?

Postby likemiketysonbigass » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 pm

futurejd wrote:URM, graduated from UPenn with good work experience and recommendations.
How about Penn State, Michigan State, Southwestern, New Engladn, Franklin Pierce, UCF, Gonzaga, Northeasern, Loyola Chicago, New York Law, Thomas Jefferson, Willamette? Do you think I have chance there?!?

You should probably try MBA, or just dont go for graduate degress for now.
Your last degree will usually have great impact in your life.
UPENN is a great school, so it`s better to keep that way.

UPENN 2.95 -> Thomas Jefferson = dumb
UPENN 2.95 You are still good :)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:18 pm

futurejd wrote:URM, graduated from UPenn with good work experience and recommendations.

NM I'm retarded.
Last edited by 09042014 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Well, you can get in somewhere as a URM, certainly. What kind of URM - black is max advantage it appears.

Franklin Pierce is a realistic shot, as is TJ. Maybe NESL. I don't know what UCF is. I'm going to say that all the rest are out or a prayer.

Retake the test, even 5 points will make some T3s realistic shots and maybe a couple bottom end T2s like Gonzaga and New Mexico.

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:21 pm

Is retaking the LSAT an option?

misformafia

Postby misformafia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Well, you can get in somewhere as a URM, certainly. What kind of URM - black is max advantage it appears.

Franklin Pierce is a realistic shot, as is TJ. Maybe NESL. I don't know what UCF is. I'm going to say that all the rest are out or a prayer.

Retake the test
, even 5 points will make some T3s realistic shots and maybe a couple bottom end T2s like Gonzaga and New Mexico.

+1. Retake. Even a few points will make a HUGE difference. Check out the resources on TLS on improving scores. Maybe look into a Kaplan class, they specialize in low scorers. (I took it, bumped me 9 points from my diagnostic).

futurejd

Postby futurejd » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:37 pm

thanks for the advice guys. retake is not an option for me but i will see how it goes this cycle and maybe opt for other option later. :roll: are new england, franklin pierce, considered as terrible law schools??? they are better than cooley right? btw.. how bad is cooley??

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Do not apply with those numbers. Retake the LSAT. You were at UPenn, so you can probably do better than a 148. Don't sell yourself short.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:21 pm

You will not get in to any law schools that are worth going to.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:24 pm

futurejd wrote:thanks for the advice guys. retake is not an option for me but i will see how it goes this cycle and maybe opt for other option later. :roll: are new england, franklin pierce, considered as terrible law schools??? they are better than cooley right? btw.. how bad is cooley??

you can only graduate from law school once. don't go to cooley. take the LSAT again and apply next cycle. don't waste your money this cycle.

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:37 pm

rw2264 wrote:
futurejd wrote:thanks for the advice guys. retake is not an option for me but i will see how it goes this cycle and maybe opt for other option later. :roll: are new england, franklin pierce, considered as terrible law schools??? they are better than cooley right? btw.. how bad is cooley??

you can only graduate from law school once. don't go to cooley. take the LSAT again and apply next cycle. don't waste your money this cycle.

I agree. Law school will still be there next year. I'm not going to presume to know your situation entirely, but I'd imagine you'd have to take out a lot of debt to go to some very low ranked law schools and would be looking at very limited career options coming out (if you can find a job). I'm not a t-14 or bust type, but I think it is very important to know what you are getting yourself into in going to law school. The job market is apparently really bad right now (perhaps even worse than other industries), and even people from the t-14 are having a rough time with jobs. It's an oversaturated field and just getting in to a law school is no promise of employment. If you have employment already lined up through a relative this may not be an issue. If you are really serious about law school, I think you'd be way better off studying as hard as you can for the LSAT, pulling a 153-155 (or better) and trying to find a second or third tier law school you can go to with either in-state tuition or a scholarship (your URM status should help with this) that offers decent regional prospects.

Hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but check out a lot of blogs of unemployed lawyers and jdunderground...even if you don't agree with everything they say, I think it is really important to be mindful of debt in going to law school, especially the non t-14, and to make sure you go to a school that will at least give you a somewhat decent shot at employment. Paying the boat at the schools you mentioned does not fit this.

Edit: Again, I don't presume to know your situation, but with the risk of debt/opportunity cost/limited prospects coming out, I don't think it can be overstated how important it is to make sure that you really want to be in the legal industry if you do go to law school.

Return to “What are my chances?”