Is it too late? 3.82, 169 URM Chances at IN/$$$? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DukeHopeful

Bronze

Is it too late? 3.82, 169 URM Chances at IN/$$$?

Post by DukeHopeful » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Scored 160 in Sept, way below what I had planned on, so I waited to get my Dec scores back to see if I should still apply this cycle. I got a 169 this time around, which was right around my mid PT scores and I'm much happier. Is it too late to try and realistically apply this cycle? I've got most of my online app's completed, my personal statement is coming along fairly well though I'm still working on it, and my LORs are being completed but have yet to be received.

Stats 3.82 GPA, 169 LSAT, URM (Part Native American)

Schools - Any idea on chances at this point, $$$ chances?
Yale (Only because they sent the invite to apply packet even before the 169 score was released. I figured WTH)
UPenn
UVA
Duke
Cornell
GULC
UCLA
USC
Emory
BU
BC
W&M

After I got my 169 score, I was really excited, but after reading all of the downtrodden prospects on TLS, I'm beginning to wonder if I might just be better off waiting until next year, pushing back my graduation to hopefully land in better economic times, and gaining the added benefit of being able to apply early on. Although I'm not really sure what I'd do with my Poli Sci major and International Affairs minor in the meantime :(

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Is it too late? 3.82, 169 URM Chances at IN/$$$?

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:55 pm

You'll most definitely be in at T14, just hard to predict where.

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 am

Any thoughts on whether not waiting till next cycle would be a better bet? Thanks

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Any thoughts on whether not waiting till next cycle would be a better bet? Thanks
I would definitely say wait until next cycle if you could. Getting your apps in very early will help you a lot.

Also, as a Native American, with that GPA you should be applying to all the Top 6 schools (HYSCCN). You have a strong shot at getting into at least one of them.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 am

Are you actually URM? You have to be registered with a tribe to get the URM boost. If not, Duke, GULC, Michigan, and Cornell are still good bets, along with all of the non-T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:34 am

GeePee wrote:Are you actually URM? You have to be registered with a tribe to get the URM boost. If not, Duke, GULC, Michigan, and Cornell are still good bets, along with all of the non-T14.
Is this true? I wasn't aware of this personally (though I guess it does make sense thinking about it).

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:
GeePee wrote:Are you actually URM? You have to be registered with a tribe to get the URM boost. If not, Duke, GULC, Michigan, and Cornell are still good bets, along with all of the non-T14.
Is this true? I wasn't aware of this personally (though I guess it does make sense thinking about it).
I was pretty sure of this; I thought that was the reason for schools asking which tribe you were a member of when you check the box on the apps.

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:42 am

I'm not registered with a federal tribe, but I've noticed that not all of the applications specifically ask for that. The ones that do I check the box and just leave that part blank. Just because I'm not registered doesn't mean I don't have the Native American blood is how I see it. Plus, no other URMs have to have a "race registration number", and some schools even accept LGBT as URM, how would they prove that :shock: I've got the lineage, so if any of them ask, I'll just show what I can. Basically, Native American great-grandfather left his family while my grandmother was very young, and she knows little about him. It has been a fun and interesting time though while tracking down our family lineage, we have even expanded it to include both my mom and dad's families and looking even deeper.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 am

DukeHopeful wrote:and some schools even accept LGBT as URM
No they don't. They may give consideration for it, but it's not the same as a URM boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:54 am

Oh, ok. I've never really looked into it honestly, as it doesn't apply to me. I just thought I'd read somewhere that Cornell gave them a URM boost.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 am

nm
Last edited by dbrddr on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 am

dbrddr wrote:sorry to hijack, but I have a related question--I've been a registered member of the Cherokee tribe since 2003. My AI-blood content is really low, but it's obviously high enough for my tribal application to have been accepted. Will I likely receive the URM boost?
I honestly don't know how to answer this. However, since you're registered that probably helps you considerably (since schools likely look to that as "proof" of whether you're an actual Native American or not).

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 pm

dbrddr wrote:sorry to hijack, but I have a related question--I've been a registered member of the Cherokee tribe since 2003. My AI-blood content is really low, but it's obviously high enough for my tribal application to have been accepted. Will I likely receive the URM boost?
They're never going to deny someone URM status who has a tribal affiliation. They have no way of determining how "blooded" Cherokee you are--what, you expect them to request a family tree with the app?

Still, for your own conscience, don't check the Native American box if you have no connections to or history as NA.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Anna Ivey described that she has seen some pretty far reaches (1/8th AA), but no school is going to go on a witch-hunt to find out "how AA" or "how AI" you are. Schools want to increase their diversity, and the only way they will find out about the diversity of their class is the self-reports on the applications. Schools do not want to discourage people from reporting themselves as a URM.

That being said, if you are not a registered AI, and none of your family is (parents, grandparents, blood aunts and uncles), then I would seriously consider whether or not it is in your best interest to report yourself as URM. Unlike AA/PR/Mex and so on, AI is one ethnicity that can be checked out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”