Scholarship Chances for a 171? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sam.emton

New

Scholarship Chances for a 171?

Post by sam.emton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:52 am

I'm a white male from a top25 undergrad (still in undergrad now). Pretty good softs for not having work experience (study abroad, internships, published research, school news paper editorial board, president of student org on campus, a regular volunteer activity), etc.

Numbers: 171, 3.85

Please chance me at the liklihood of getting scholarship money (and how much) at the following schools (or tell me if I don't have a shot of getting in). I applied to a ton of schools, but nothing west coast because I'd rather work on the east coast or in the south or midwest after graduation. Are there any other schools that I should have applied to? Thank you in advance.

Columbia
NYU
UChicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
BU
Emory
GW

tinman

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Chances for a 171?

Post by tinman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:28 pm

sam.emton wrote:I'm a white male from a top25 undergrad (still in undergrad now). Pretty good softs for not having work experience (study abroad, internships, published research, school news paper editorial board, president of student org on campus, a regular volunteer activity), etc.

Please chance me at the liklihood of getting scholarship money (and how much) at the following schools (or tell me if I don't have a shot of getting in). I applied to a ton of schools, but nothing west coast because I'd rather work on the east coast or in the south or midwest after graduation. Are there any other schools that I should have applied to? Thank you in advance.

Columbia
NYU
UChicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
BU
Emory
GW
Hi Sam, you should get into a lot of the T14s and scholarship money from most of the non-T14s
Last edited by tinman on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:32 pm

sam.emton wrote:I'm a white male from a top25 undergrad (still in undergrad now). Pretty good softs for not having work experience (study abroad, internships, published research, school news paper editorial board, president of student org on campus, a regular volunteer activity), etc.

Columbia
NYU
UChicago
UPenn
Michigan
UVA
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown
Texas
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
BU
Emory
GW
You should be in and get resident tuition and significant scholarship, maybe approaching full tuition, at Texas.

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm in a very similiar situation to you. I'm in undergrad now and have a 171, 3.9x. I probably have slightly worse softs.

I will try to predict a range of what to expect. The first scenario being the realistic worst case, followed by the realistic best case. I am pulling these from memory from LSN, so check my accuracy.

Columbia anything possible OUT/WL/IN
NYU WL/IN
UChicago WL/with $14,000 p/y
UPenn WL/ with $20,000 p/y
Michigan WL/ with $15,000 p/y
UVA WL/ with $20,000 p/y
Duke IN/ with $22,000 p/y
Georgetown IN
Texas IN/ with $27,000 p/y
Vanderbilt IN/ with $27,000 p/y
WUSTL IN/ with full tuition
Emory IN/ with $32,000 p/y

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 pm

rapstar wrote:I'm in a very similiar situation to you. I'm in undergrad now and have a 171, 3.9x. I probably have slightly worse softs.

I will try to predict a range of what to expect. The first scenario being the realistic worst case, followed by the realistic best case. I am pulling these from memory from LSN, so check my accuracy.

NYU WL/IN
UVA WL/ with $20,000 p/y
Georgetown IN
This seems like a pretty reasonable prediction to me. I like the joint presentation of best and worst cases.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:35 pm

rapstar wrote:I'm in a very similiar situation to you. I'm in undergrad now and have a 171, 3.9x. I probably have slightly worse softs.

NYU WL/IN
UVA WL/ with $20,000 p/y
Georgetown IN
I will agree with this, with one exception: For WUSTL, IN w/full tuition is both the worst and best case scenario with a 171/3.8x. Unless you embezzled millions from the elderly and Jewish charities, you will get a full ride there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”