Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby doubled99 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:27 pm

I have a 3.62UGPA/156 LSAT. My top choices as of right now are:

U of Pitt
U of Cincinnati
Arizona State (kind of my reach)
Indiana-Indianapolis

Which school do you think I have the best shot at, as of right now?

doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby doubled99 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Anyone?

User avatar
aguyingeorgia
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:09 am

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby aguyingeorgia » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:54 pm

You can figure that out by looking at lsat gpa calculators for percentages... just search it on Google...

What do you want to do with your law degree should probably play more of a role than "Where can I get in?" A couple of points on the LSAT might dramatically change your circumstances.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby starstruck393 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Try Law School Predictor. But yea, looking at it as which one can I get in isn't the right idea. I'd find the T3/T4 in the market you want to work in that will give you a full scholarship. Debt is not your friend coming from a school ranked so low, and the differences between T2 and T3/4 are really miniscule...

Krones
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby Krones » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis = Cold
Tempe = Warm

Problem solved as far as I'm concerned. I know ASU is my first choice.

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:15 am

Well, Pitt is very good for job prospects, though if you want to work in Pittsburgh, you might get a decent scholarship at Duquesne, which places ridiculously well for a T3/T4. I love Pittsburgh, it's really quite beautiful and they've turned the city around a ton in the last 20 years. It's no lock, but you've got a shot.

Arizona State is also good for job prospects, and Phoenix is guaranteed to continue growing over the next 20-30 years, which makes it a good place for just about any career. Well, they do have water issues....but really it's a nice place to live, and you can get some foreclosed new homes for 60k right now in a nice neighborhood.

Cincy and Indy are OK, and I think Indy is your closest thing to a safety.

If you want more "national" appeal, you could throw an app at Tulane. Also, Case Western places well in both the Northeast and Midwest, and they have good employment prospects regarding salary as well (with a pretty high percentage of graduates reporting).

Now, someone mentioned scholarships, but at a 156 there aren't many places with halfway decent prospects that will give you a full ride. Maybe half, but likely not full. I can't actually think of one (off the top of my head) that would give you a full ride.

doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby doubled99 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:28 am

Thank you. When I received my LSAT score of a whopping 156 I knew that big schollys were out of the question. However, is it possible to earn more scholarship $$ after 1L if you are in the top percentages of your class? (Not saying I will be, just a good goal to have lol)

I do like Indy, but I am not sure on the job prospects there and as of right now I am starting to lean more towards Pitt, as I hope to get in.....

doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby doubled99 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:38 pm

bump

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby reasonable_man » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:45 pm

These schools are regional at best.. (i.e. getting a job after graduating from any of them will be a challenge, assuming you stay close to the school after graduating, let along if you intend to relocate). Where do you intend to practice after graduating?

I never really understand when people start doing the TTT-National Tour of Law School Applications...

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:56 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:Arizona State is also good for job prospects, and Phoenix is guaranteed to continue growing over the next 20-30 years, which makes it a good place for just about any career. Well, they do have water issues....but really it's a nice place to live, and you can get some foreclosed new homes for 60k right now in a nice neighborhood.


IDK about this. ASU is usually a solid bet, but the Phoenix legal market seems to be hurting more than some others right now. It could take several years for the growth to start up again.

And 60k for foreclosure in nice neighborhood??? 150k sounds more like it. And you're still looking at paying 250k if you want to buy a home in a decent neighborhood that's not out in Booneyville.

doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby doubled99 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 am

Reasonable-I just posted some of the schools that I was interested in and that I felt I could be accepted at. I really like Pitt, as I live in Cleveland and have visited Pittsburg several times. However, I feel like I could live in any of the cities of the schools that I have listed, with ASU being kind of questionable (big move)

I was just looking for a little bit of advice on all of this and which were preferred by some of the users on here. Can anyone answer my question about getting scholarship $$ after their 1L based on academics that year?

User avatar
84Sunbird2000
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:Arizona State is also good for job prospects, and Phoenix is guaranteed to continue growing over the next 20-30 years, which makes it a good place for just about any career. Well, they do have water issues....but really it's a nice place to live, and you can get some foreclosed new homes for 60k right now in a nice neighborhood.


IDK about this. ASU is usually a solid bet, but the Phoenix legal market seems to be hurting more than some others right now. It could take several years for the growth to start up again.

And 60k for foreclosure in nice neighborhood??? 150k sounds more like it. And you're still looking at paying 250k if you want to buy a home in a decent neighborhood that's not out in Booneyville.


First off, I don't know what you consider a nice house or a nice neighborhood. To me, a newer 3-bedroom, 2 bath 1200 square-foot house in a newer subdivision fits the bill. There are tons of new suburban subdivisions that were decimated by the housing collapse that have houses for sale at 50-80k. Even though they bid higher than list, 60k is completely doable. However, if OP (or you) is deadset on the city, the cost goes up.

That said, 250k is kindof ridiculous - I was house-hunting in the Phoenix metro for my mom (wants to move) all summer, and I can't imagine what the requirements would be to consider 250k.

Didn't research these much, but wanted to have some links (areas might not be the ones I was looking at earlier, but still newer houses in good shape in newer subdivisions):
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1114511909

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web

Thought I'd throw in a Scottsdale (the yuppie Suburb) at 140k:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... source=web

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:45 am

doubled99 wrote:Reasonable-I just posted some of the schools that I was interested in and that I felt I could be accepted at. I really like Pitt, as I live in Cleveland and have visited Pittsburg several times. However, I feel like I could live in any of the cities of the schools that I have listed, with ASU being kind of questionable (big move)

I was just looking for a little bit of advice on all of this and which were preferred by some of the users on here. Can anyone answer my question about getting scholarship $$ after their 1L based on academics that year?




Very small chance of $$$ after your 1L year.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby najumobi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 am

doubled99 wrote:I have a 3.62UGPA/156 LSAT. My top choices as of right now are:

U of Pitt
U of Cincinnati
Arizona State (kind of my reach)
Indiana-Indianapolis

Which school do you think I have the best shot at, as of right now?


indiana-indianapolis....it's the only school where you are at or above gpa and lsat medians.

doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Need Help Deciding on T2 School

Postby doubled99 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Any other opinions?




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests