Berkeley transfer w/straight Ps

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Kindle

Berkeley transfer w/straight Ps

Postby Kindle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Can someone here please provide me with an informed prediction of how my transfer prospects into the top 4 would be if I only made straight Ps at Berkeley? -Thanks!

RVP11

Re: Berkeley transfer w/straight Ps

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Probably 0% chance of transferring into YHSC. You're below median - I don't think you could even pull off a lateral transfer to MVP.

Kindle

Postby Kindle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Wow, despite that P=60% of the class?

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Why do you want to transfer, if you don't mind me asking? I'm applying to Berkeley now so I'd be interested to hear the reasoning.

Kindle

Postby Kindle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Berkeley is AMAZING. My only reason to transfer is to be with my SO. He can stay at his firm's Palo Alto office or go to one in the east coast and we want to remain living together.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Kindle wrote:Wow, despite that P=60% of the class?

The point is that you haven't exactly excelled. Why would a higher rank school think you'll succeed there when you haven't managed to score in the top 40% in a single class at a lower ranked school? Not to mention the fact that you could be rock bottom at Berkeley for all they know.

Boalt1L

Postby Boalt1L » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:34 pm

I'd say you need a few Hs (around3-?), this thread is kind of a good summary about the downside of Boalt's grading system. It is really tough for us to assume that we got an H or HH, as I or anyone else can't possibly be confident enough to think you did better than 60% of geniuses, but hey someone has to get the Hs. OP, I'd wait for your grades but transferring is not gonna be an option with all Ps, even probably to like UCLA, but I'm pretty sure like everyone else you are underselling yourself (at least i hope)

Kindle

Postby Kindle » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Boalt1L wrote:I'd say you need a few Hs (around3-?), this thread is kind of a good summary about the downside of Boalt's grading system. It is really tough for us to assume that we got an H or HH, as I or anyone else can't possibly be confident enough to think you did better than 60% of geniuses, but hey someone has to get the Hs. OP, I'd wait for your grades but transferring is not gonna be an option with all Ps, even probably to like UCLA, but I'm pretty sure like everyone else you are underselling yourself (at least i hope)

Thanks. What I wanted to know was how many Hs would look good/be necessary.
I'm confident in the quality of answers I gave on my finals but like you said, I felt the need to undersell myself--to put myself in the worst case scenario. But I'm excited for next semester, so I hope to pull some Hs then too. :)

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Kindle wrote:Berkeley is AMAZING. My only reason to transfer is to be with my SO. He can stay at his firm's Palo Alto office or go to one in the east coast and we want to remain living together.

Live in either Milbrae or Fremont so you can take the BART and he can commute to his job in Palo Alto by Cal Train or car. Let us know how those straight P's work out for you, though. I'm genuinely curious, especially since you seem to know you are getting P's next semester, which hasn't even started yet.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:33 pm

How badly do you want to be with your SO?

Worst case scenario, would you consider Fordham if HYSC rejected you?

Or would you remain at Berkeley?

While it logically makes sense, a lot of 1L's and 0L's would throw fits at the mere mention of this option.

rw2264

Postby rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:12 am

Kindle wrote:Berkeley is AMAZING. My only reason to transfer is to be with my SO. He can stay at his firm's Palo Alto office or go to one in the east coast and we want to remain living together.

why can't he just commute to palo alto? yeah it sucks, but he'll be doing it for a maximum of two years.

raisinbran

Postby raisinbran » Thu May 27, 2010 1:56 am

I found this thread buried and thought to ask the OP about how her second semester turned out. Sending in transfer apps yet?

Return to “What are my chances?”