Only 2 points higher; will they disregard increase?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
latinolaw

Only 2 points higher; will they disregard increase?

Postby latinolaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I only scored 2 points higher (from 161 to 163). Will the schools I'm applying to (Cornell, Vandy, BU, etc.) disregard my increase because it is minimal?

GoTribe1

Re: Only 2 points higher; will they disregard increase?

Postby GoTribe1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 pm

From the standpoint of an adcomm they probably won't reevaluate your potential for law school success based on your new score. But from an admissions standpoint it will matter a lot because the higher score helps increase admissions stats. That's all they really care about. That having been said I hope you have a killer GPA for a 163 to make a dent at those schools.

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:34 pm

GoTribe1 wrote:From the standpoint of an adcomm they probably won't reevaluate your potential for law school success based on your new score. But from an admissions standpoint it will matter a lot because the higher score helps increase admissions stats. That's all they really care about. That having been said I hope you have a killer GPA for a 163 to make a dent at those schools.

3.54? Excellent personal statement, however, and great work experience. BU, BC, W&M, Chicago-Kent and a few others as back-ups.

GoTribe1

Postby GoTribe1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:41 pm

URM? Stranger things have happened. BC I've heard considers softs more than similarly ranked schools. Good luck. I also have a 163 (non URM) and I'm considering retaking and applying next cycle. Some of these schools might throw candidates like us a bone, but probably only if we apply way earlier than now and everything else about our app rocks.

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Yes, URM. I'm hoping that timing is not that big of a factor. I'm not retaking, so I'm trying to apply to as wide a range as possible.

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:51 pm

You're a URM, they will accept you in T-14s. Apply to all of them except HYS. Lucky fucker. I wish i was black.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Sourpunch wrote:You're a URM, they will accept you in T-14s. Apply to all of them except HYS. Lucky fucker. I wish i was black.

:roll: Also, considering the OP's name, I am actually guessing Mexican or Puerto Rican (latinolaw).

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
Sourpunch wrote:You're a URM, they will accept you in T-14s. Apply to all of them except HYS. Lucky fucker. I wish i was black.

:roll: Also, considering the OP's name, I am actually guessing Mexican or Puerto Rican (latinolaw).

Is the fact that I am Latino a disadvantage to being black?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 pm

latinolaw wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:

Is the fact that I am Latino a disadvantage to being black?

Probably, but you're still going to get a boost compared to the white applicants.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:10 pm

:roll:

Sourpunch

Postby Sourpunch » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 pm

I know he's not black, I'm just saying I wish I was black. They're now the URMs who aren't actually that disadvantaged but for some reason are still considered so..lol.

HJO

Postby HJO » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Sourpunch wrote:I know he's not black, I'm just saying I wish I was black. They're now the URMs who aren't actually that disadvantaged but for some reason are still considered so..lol.

I hope this is just a tasteless troll.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:30 pm

latinolaw wrote:I only scored 2 points higher (from 161 to 163). Will the schools I'm applying to (Cornell, Vandy, BU, etc.) disregard my increase because it is minimal?

If the interview with Cornell's Dean accurately reflects their admissions policies, they will disgregard your increase. He specifies that they consider the higher score if it is more than a 3 point raise.

latinolaw

Postby latinolaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:44 pm

cubswin wrote:
latinolaw wrote:I only scored 2 points higher (from 161 to 163). Will the schools I'm applying to (Cornell, Vandy, BU, etc.) disregard my increase because it is minimal?

If the interview with Cornell's Dean accurately reflects their admissions policies, they will disgregard your increase. He specifies that they consider the higher score if it is more than a 3 point raise.

Dammit!

But it benefits the school to take the higher score (no matter the increase), statistically. So I wonder if they will actually consider me a 163, regardless, and there is some other motivation for the Dean to say this.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:57 pm

latinolaw wrote:
cubswin wrote:

Dammit!

But it benefits the school to take the higher score (no matter the increase), statistically. So I wonder if they will actually consider me a 163, regardless, and there is some other motivation for the Dean to say this.

Just apply. You'll get into Cornell.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Rand M. wrote:

:roll:

My thoughts exactly. It's called the fucking subjunctive, people.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Sourpunch wrote:I know he's not black, I'm just saying I wish I was black. They're now the URMs who aren't actually that disadvantaged but for some reason are still considered so..lol.

What part of "under-represented minority" did you misread as "disadvantaged"?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Sourpunch wrote:I wish I was black.

FuturehoyaLawya

Postby FuturehoyaLawya » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:26 pm

i know quite a few disadvantaged black URMs in D.C. (whole communities full of them), you want to meet some? :D

Return to “What are my chances?”