Full ride? 171/4.11

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Scrutinizer
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 am

Full ride? 171/4.11

Postby Scrutinizer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:21 am

171/4.11/MA/Interesting softs/International work experience

I've applied to some T-10 schools, but I reckon I'm only willing to pay sticker for HYS. I'm Canadian so I can always go back to Canada and get a good legal education for a fraction of what it costs to go to the states. But I'd consider a full-ride at a T1 school.

Are there particular schools known for buying students with stats like mine?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Full ride? 171/4.11

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 am

With stats like yours, you might get $$ from lower T14 schools. I hope you applied to Georgetown, Northwestern, and Duke.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Full ride? 171/4.11

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 am

If i had your stats I'd just go to U of T and have great chances for a great job in Canada. Why go to a lower US law school with the uncertainty of being able to work after school? I didnt think it was so easy to continue working in the states after going to school here.

Mal
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: Full ride? 171/4.11

Postby Mal » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:35 am

tjeffery wrote:If i had your stats I'd just go to U of T and have great chances for a great job in Canada. Why go to a lower US law school with the uncertainty of being able to work after school? I didnt think it was so easy to continue working in the states after going to school here.


U of T has almost no merit aid, its mostly needs based. Just saying, it might not be a terrible idea depending on the school.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Full ride? 171/4.11

Postby iShotFirst » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:38 am

Ya I guess less competition in Canada means less need for schools to give out merit aid, I still think the citizenship and working status is the chief question though, have to be sure that you can get working visa to US after you graduate. I say this as a dual US/ Canadian citizen sure that picking a school in whichever country ties me to the country for my career, its hard to switch with bar passages and all that.

User avatar
Scrutinizer
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:31 am

Re: Full ride? 171/4.11

Postby Scrutinizer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:39 am

vanwinkle wrote:With stats like yours, you might get $$ from lower T14 schools. I hope you applied to Georgetown, Northwestern, and Duke.


I applied to NU. Not GT or Duke.

Mal wrote:
tjeffery wrote:If i had your stats I'd just go to U of T and have great chances for a great job in Canada. Why go to a lower US law school with the uncertainty of being able to work after school? I didnt think it was so easy to continue working in the states after going to school here.


U of T has almost no merit aid, its mostly needs based. Just saying, it might not be a terrible idea depending on the school.


Yeah my thought process is that if I can get a full ride and maybe stipend I can save myself anywhere from $80 000-$150 000 in debt. As to post-grad employment, I'm not sure how straight forward it is, but it looks like getting a visa provided one has a job offer from a firm isn't that hard. There's certainly no shortage of Canadian lawyers working in the states.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests