167, 3.1 UG, 3.8 Grad, Non-trad

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Princess_T

167, 3.1 UG, 3.8 Grad, Non-trad

Postby Princess_T » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:26 am

Side note, I like how 'non-traditional' is a euphemism for 'old'. :-P

LSAT 167, UG GPA (Engineering) 3.1 at a top school, 3.8 Grad school GPA (MBA, mid-tier school), graduated top 10%, 10+ years work experience, have great LOR from my COO (I'm a director at a fortune 500). My only claim to URM would be female, but I doubt that counts for much.

Let me know what you think - acceptance and scholarships if any.

Duke
Lewis & Clark
Georgetown
U. of Michigan
UVA
William Mitchell (safety)

That's roughly my order of preference.

Thank you!!!!

bahama

Re: 167, 3.1 UG, 3.8 Grad, Non-trad

Postby bahama » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:57 pm

I have a somewhat similar background and got in to places where my LSAT was at or slightly (1-2 pts) below median. So if you use that as a benchmark it will give you an idea of the possibilities. There are also people who got in only where there numbers would predict so it is tough to say. I personally think for people like us a lot of it comes down to how you craft your application.

Are you applying this cycle? If so are your apps already in?

Also, I thought your choice of schools was really interesting, how did you come up with that list?

Princess_T

Postby Princess_T » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:02 pm

I spent a lot of time on the personal statement and also wrote a second statement on diversity so hopefully that effort will pay off! I knew for non-traditional it would be important to have a good 'story' about future career plans.

I am interesting in animal law, but business law being a fall-back I tried to pick schools with a strength their also. And I really like Portland. :-)

Yes, applied for Fall 2010, just did LSAT in December so apps are only just complete as of 12/28.

Have you heard back from any schools yet?

It's so hard to look at the numbers for non-trad, because certainly LSAT scores count to a degree but it's hard to believe UG GPAs count very much, especially over Grad school GPAs but who knows!
Last edited by Princess_T on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Princess_T

Postby Princess_T » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:03 pm

OMG my grammar in that post was awful sorry. :-)

*interested*
*there*

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Inserting your numbers into LSP and making the perhaps bold assumption that your collective experiences (i.e. MBA, 10+ years of WE, Director at Fortune 500) place you on par with an URM, your chances are as follows:

Duke - Deny
Lewis & Clark - Admit
Georgetown - Weak Consider
U. of Michigan - Deny
UVA - Deny
William Mitchell - Admit

What is ultimately pulling you down at this point is your undergraduate GPA, which isn't terribly relevant at this point in time. With a 3.5 GPA, you are at least a consider at each of the T-14s where you applied.

Since you are seemingly targeting the mid-atlantic states, why not consider William & Mary or Washington & Lee?

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Princess_T

Postby Princess_T » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:18 pm

This is the thing - it's hard to go just by what the calculators say because I don't know how to account for grad school GPA or work experience.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Princess_T wrote:This is the thing - it's hard to go just by what the calculators say because I don't know how to account for grad school GPA or work experience.

My experiences were similar last cycle (i.e. 5+ years of WE, CPA, CFA, etc). Looking back, I find that the Law School Predictor is more in line with my actual results if I check the URM box (with the only exceptions being a couple of state schools that I applied to where I was considered out-of-state).

Princess_T

Postby Princess_T » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:56 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Princess_T wrote:This is the thing - it's hard to go just by what the calculators say because I don't know how to account for grad school GPA or work experience.

My experiences were similar last cycle (i.e. 5+ years of WE, CPA, CFA, etc). Looking back, I find that the Law School Predictor is more in line with my actual results if I check the URM box (with the only exceptions being a couple of state schools that I applied to where I was considered out-of-state).

Are you applying again this cycle?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Princess_T wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

Are you applying again this cycle?

No, I just finished my first semester. Honestly, I wish that I had waited just one more year just to have a little bit more of a nest egg, but once I was admitted, I was no longer really focused on work.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Princess_T wrote:but it's hard to believe UG GPAs count very much, especially over Grad school GPAs but who knows!

Law schools don't care much about your graduate GPA - the only thing that factors in to USNWR rankings are UG GPA, therefore, that's all they *really* care about. I read an adcom's interview on TLS (can't remember which one - but T14 school) say that they may look at your grad GPA and they expect to find that you're getting mostly As and some Bs.

Good luck!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:15 pm

gymboree wrote:
Princess_T wrote:but it's hard to believe UG GPAs count very much, especially over Grad school GPAs but who knows!

Law schools don't care much about your graduate GPA - the only thing that factors in to USNWR rankings are UG GPA, therefore, that's all they *really* care about. I read an adcom's interview on TLS (can't remember which one - but T14 school) say that they may look at your grad GPA and they expect to find that you're getting mostly As and some Bs.

Good luck!

That 'tar is hilarious in light of recent revelations.

Return to “What are my chances?”