Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:29 am

I got a 173 on the Dec. LSAT, which was about 5 points than I thought, so my list of schools has changed from what I thought it would be a week ago. I have a 3.65 from a TTTT UG---this is what worries me. My softs are the same as everyone else's I guess; decent PS, good LORs, extracurriculars, community service, and I've worked full time since I was 17.

Here is my list:

Chicago
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern
Texas
WUSTL
Illinois
Washington & Lee
UGA (in-state)

Is this list good? Should I add any other school as a reach or as a safety? From what I've read, with a 173 and being in-state, UGA should be pretty much a lock. Anyone care to share their opinion?

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby Tanicius » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:32 am

maximus34998 wrote:I got a 173 on the Dec. LSAT, which was about 5 points than I thought, so my list of schools has changed from what I thought it would be a week ago. I have a 3.65 from a TTTT UG---this is what worries me. My softs are the same as everyone else's I guess; decent PS, good LORs, extracurriculars, community service, and I've worked full time since I was 17.

Here is my list:

Chicago
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern
Texas
WUSTL
Illinois
Washington & Lee
UGA (in-state)

Is this list good? Should I add any other school as a reach or as a safety? From what I've read, with a 173 and being in-state, UGA should be pretty much a lock. Anyone care to share their opinion?


Don't go to UGA unless they give you a full ride, which they should.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:35 am

Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Illinois-Why are you applying Here?
Washington & Lee-???
UGA (in-state)-In w/ full scholarship

Take away Illinois and Washington & Lee and add Vandy, NYU, and Columbia.
Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In

4910
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby 4910 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:36 am

I think you should try NYU and Columbia and see if they bite. You would definitely get into those two with ED. Harvard is a big reach and you never know with Stanford and Yale.

User avatar
anibulbul
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby anibulbul » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:37 pm

4910 wrote:I think you should try NYU and Columbia and see if they bite. You would definitely get into those two with ED. Harvard is a big reach and you never know with Stanford and Yale.

With a 3.65 GPA, I know how the OP's HYS applications will go.
Not sure why anybody on his right mind would discourage OP from sending an application to NYU and Columbia.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby Notor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:41 pm

To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Notor wrote:To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.


True, good point.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:57 pm

...
Last edited by stratocophic on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:59 pm

barrinmb wrote:
Notor wrote:To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.


Is leveraging comparable schools' offers against each other a legit/common bargaining tactic? Haven't heard of this before.


Very legit. Not common, but people on TLS seem to do it often enough.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
barrinmb wrote:
Notor wrote:To be fair, Illinois and W&L both have auto fee waivers, so it's no big deal to submit there. Plus, if they offer big $$$, OP can potentially use that to leverage some $ out of the other schools if he/she chooses to negotiate. I don't see the harm in submitting there, it can't hurt to have options.


Is leveraging comparable schools' offers against each other a legit/common bargaining tactic? Haven't heard of this before.


Very legit. Not common, but people on TLS seem to do it often enough.


Good to know. I recall from undergrad that every school I applied to told applicants in advance that you could shove off if leveraging offers was your plan and wondered if it was the same.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby scribelaw » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:04 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Illinois-Why are you applying Here?
Washington & Lee-???
UGA (in-state)-In w/ full scholarship

Take away Illinois and Washington & Lee and add Vandy, NYU, and Columbia.
Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In


Why in at Chicago but a WL at Virginia/Michigan?

Curious because I have similar stats...

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:05 pm

scribelaw wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Illinois-Why are you applying Here?
Washington & Lee-???
UGA (in-state)-In w/ full scholarship

Take away Illinois and Washington & Lee and add Vandy, NYU, and Columbia.
Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In


Why in at Chicago but a WL at Virginia/Michigan?

Curious because I have similar stats...


Its called YP bro, look at LSN.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:11 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Illinois-Why are you applying Here?
Washington & Lee-???
UGA (in-state)-In w/ full scholarship

Take away Illinois and Washington & Lee and add Vandy, NYU, and Columbia.
Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In


Why in at Chicago but a WL at Virginia/Michigan?

Curious because I have similar stats...


Its called YP bro, look at LSN.


I thought YP was for numbers suggesting that the school was more likely a safety to the applicant or something similar to that def? Numbers seem a bit low to suggest that for UVA/Mich, right in the range for UVA's graph on LSN

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:12 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Whatisthis
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby Whatisthis » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:13 pm

You're almost a lock at NYU and you'll probably get into Chicago as well. ED would give you a good shoot at Columbia, if your goal is to get into the highest rank school. Are you applying this cycle?

If you interested in money, you're looking at significant cash from U of Texas on down.

Good Luck!

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:46 pm

You're almost a lock at NYU and you'll probably get into Chicago as well. ED would give you a good shoot at Columbia, if your goal is to get into the highest rank school. Are you applying this cycle?

If you interested in money, you're looking at significant cash from U of Texas on down.

Good Luck!


Thanks! I am applying this cycle, so ED anywhere is out...it's good to hear I've got a good chance in the T14, and cash at Texas, etc. For some reason, I really don't want to live in New York right now. 3 years from now, maybe. But I'd say Michigan/UVA are my top choices just because I'd like to live in AA or C'Ville while I'm still in school.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:44 pm

barrinmb wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
scribelaw wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Chicago-In
Michigan-WL or In
Virginia-WL or In
Duke-In
Northwestern-In
Texas-In
WUSTL-In
Illinois-Why are you applying Here?
Washington & Lee-???
UGA (in-state)-In w/ full scholarship

Take away Illinois and Washington & Lee and add Vandy, NYU, and Columbia.
Vandy-In
NYU-In
Columbia-WL or In


Why in at Chicago but a WL at Virginia/Michigan?

Curious because I have similar stats...


Its called YP bro, look at LSN.


I thought YP was for numbers suggesting that the school was more likely a safety to the applicant or something similar to that def? Numbers seem a bit low to suggest that for UVA/Mich, right in the range for UVA's graph on LSN


Here are the results for people with the OP numbers at UVA last year
http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

Seems as though WL is pretty likely to me.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:45 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
You're almost a lock at NYU and you'll probably get into Chicago as well. ED would give you a good shoot at Columbia, if your goal is to get into the highest rank school. Are you applying this cycle?

If you interested in money, you're looking at significant cash from U of Texas on down.

Good Luck!


Thanks! I am applying this cycle, so ED anywhere is out...it's good to hear I've got a good chance in the T14, and cash at Texas, etc. For some reason, I really don't want to live in New York right now. 3 years from now, maybe. But I'd say Michigan/UVA are my top choices just because I'd like to live in AA or C'Ville while I'm still in school.


If you want to go to UVA or Mich and they are your top choices let them know that. Email/write why essays or just flat out tell them that they are your top choices. Your chance of acceptance is much higher if they think you will actually matriculate.

Your numbers are good enough but you have to let them know how you feel about the school.

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:37 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
You're almost a lock at NYU and you'll probably get into Chicago as well. ED would give you a good shoot at Columbia, if your goal is to get into the highest rank school. Are you applying this cycle?

If you interested in money, you're looking at significant cash from U of Texas on down.

Good Luck!


Thanks! I am applying this cycle, so ED anywhere is out...it's good to hear I've got a good chance in the T14, and cash at Texas, etc. For some reason, I really don't want to live in New York right now. 3 years from now, maybe. But I'd say Michigan/UVA are my top choices just because I'd like to live in AA or C'Ville while I'm still in school.


If you want to go to UVA or Mich and they are your top choices let them know that. Email/write why essays or just flat out tell them that they are your top choices. Your chance of acceptance is much higher if they think you will actually matriculate.

Your numbers are good enough but you have to let them know how you feel about the school.


Thanks for the advice! With UVA, I didn't see any instructions about a "Why UVA" essay. Should I write one and submit it through LSAC, even though I've already submitted the application? Will it get submitted to them automatically if I do this?

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:42 pm

if you already submitted, email the admissions office directly with a copy attached to your email

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Is this list OK? (3.65 TTTT, 173)

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:45 pm

You can just email them directly, submit the "Why UVA" and tell them how you feel.

Also, if you can afford/have time to visit the school and talk to Admissions that can go a long way.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests