2.9 / 170 ... top 30?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nairbremlap

2.9 / 170 ... top 30?

Postby nairbremlap » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:30 pm

Hey all,

Have a particularly ungraceful 2.9, with an upward trend, an addendum, and one of my LOR is the dean of my major (I got a C- from him as a sophomore then a pair of A's as a junior and senior). Just popped my LSAT cherry with a 170 on the Dec. test. I have 3 good letters, hundreds of hours of volunteer service (various cancer benefits, public defenders office, bilingual charter school), 2 summer internships, and a few pretty good statements, one for reaches and the other for targets.

What can I expect? I know splitters are unpredictable, but I really have no idea. I would LOVE to be on the east coast in a big city; I'm from Boston but undergrad was CU-Boulder. I've applied to:

Georgetown
BU
Fordham
BC
GW
Northwestern (don't really want to live in Chicago but I've heard its split-friendly)
UVA (they waived my fee)
UC Hastings
UC Davis
Northeastern as a safety.

I rank them more or less in that order. Anything to ease my mind, for better or worse, is greatly appreciated. I'm stressing like crazy. Thanks

edit: forgot GW

D. H2Oman

Re: 2.9 / 170 ... top 30?

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:36 pm

nairbremlap wrote:Hey all,

Have a particularly ungraceful 2.9, with an upward trend, an addendum, and one of my LOR is the dean of my major (I got a C- from him as a sophomore then a pair of A's as a junior and senior). Just popped my LSAT cherry with a 170 on the Dec. test. I have 3 good letters, hundreds of hours of volunteer service (various cancer benefits, public defenders office, bilingual charter school), 2 summer internships, and a few pretty good statements, one for reaches and the other for targets.

What can I expect? I know splitters are unpredictable, but I really have no idea. I would LOVE to be on the east coast in a big city; I'm from Boston but undergrad was CU-Boulder. I've applied to:

Georgetown
BU
Fordham
BC
Northwestern (don't really want to live in Chicago but I've heard its split-friendly)
UVA (they waived my fee)
UC Hastings
UC Davis
Northeastern as a safety.

I rank them more or less in that order. Anything to ease my mind, for better or worse, is greatly appreciated. I'm stressing like crazy. Thanks

You can get into the top-30 for sure

But it will be:

WUSTL, Illinois, Minnesota, Wash Lee, GW, W+M, or Indiana...those are your splitter friendly schools

Hastings and Davis are a decent possibility

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:21 pm

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:46 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Get 2 years of work experience then apply to all the lower T-14 . . . you'll have much better luck - especially at Northwestern.

Perhaps, but a sub-3.0 GPA still may make NU a long shot. I think that your best shot at cracking the T25 is Minnestota or WUSTL.

nairbremlap

Postby nairbremlap » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 pm

How likely is Hastings? Does anyone know if they favor in state or out of state?

Lawschoolpredictor.com has me at "consider" for them. Also, I'm not hell-bent on going to one of the T14's, although Georgetown would be nice. I'm more concerned with going to school where I want to practice, so Boston, New York, DC, and San Fran are pretty attractive. Gotta be by some ocean... I'm tired of being land locked.

edit: also, how split-friendly is Fordham?? they seem to be pretty waitlist-y this cycle...

Think_lax86

Postby Think_lax86 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Can someone tell me what kind of "work experience" might be good to have for law school?

Return to “What are my chances?”