2.9/164 female engineer

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chaudhry

2.9/164 female engineer

Postby chaudhry » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:09 am

Hello,

I tried to search through to find someone with a similar situation, but no luck. My gpa/lsat are not very competitive but I am hoping to make up for it with other factors:
-BS in Aerospace Eng from BU (minor in Art Hist)
-SouthAsian female (less than 10yrs in US)
-2.5 years WE as consultant for leading engineering software developers
-some strong recommendation letters and a decent PS
-extracurricular activities throughout academic and professional career

I want to know my chances of getting in at the following schools (I am interested in IP law):

Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn
NYLS
BU
Suffolk
GW
American
UConn

Also, I read through some posts that talk about explaining low gpa in an addendum. Does this mean I should still incorporate in my personal statement somehow or just submit an additional electronic attachment?

Thank you for all your help!

BriaTharen

Re: 2.9/164 female engineer

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:13 pm

An addendum is a separate electronic attachment used to explain criminal records, grade and LSAT situations, etc. So you do not need to incorporate it into your personal statement. Your personal statement should focus on what you want to the ad-comms to know about you, not drawing attention to the low points on your record. Keep in mind that the GPA addendum is a place to discuss things like family issues- not having a harder major than 75% of other law school applicants

Here are my best guesses based on your numbers:

Fordham: Reject
Cardozo: WL/Reject
Brooklyn: Reject
NYLS: Admit
BU: Reject
Suffolk:Admit
GW: Reject
American: WL/Admit
UConn: WL/Admit

If you are interested in IP, you really should add Houston and DePaul. Both are in the T100, and have great IP programs.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:33 pm

It sounds like you have a great career, why do you want to leave that to attend a T3 law school with minimal job opportunities?

jackster2

Postby jackster2 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Have you looked into state schools? UNC or Wisconsin or U of Washington? All solid but less competitive and cheaper.

chaudhry

Postby chaudhry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Thank you all!

I do have a highly successful career, but I am genuinely interested in a career in IP Law. I really want to spend more time focusing on schools that will at least consider my application. At the same time I want to be careful and only apply to schools with at least some sort of formal education in IP Law.

Does it make any difference that 90% of the schools I listed, and several others (Chicago-Kent, W&M, W&L, DePaul, etc) have given me fee waivers and sent me multiple invitations to apply? Or does that not matter at all? Will it help responding to the admissions reps that have sent me the waivers?

Is there any other state schools on east coast, besides the mentioned UNC, that I might have a decent shot at?

Thank you

chaudhry

Postby chaudhry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 pm

I really want to end up at one of the top 15 for IP Law. (Cardozo being my top choice!)

Any tips?? Is there something I need to focus on in my personal statement that might help?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm

I do think you have a pretty fair shot at DePaul. Your LSAT is a few points higher than mine and your GPA a few points lower, and I got in with money. For the personal statement, look to the admissions information on their website as your guide. Many of them give you information more than just "Submit a personal statement." I don't think there is anything wrong with writing about IP, just make sure that the statement is about you, not IP itself.

As for the fee waivers, no- you do not need to reply to the admissions reps that sent you the waivers. These letters are not (typically) personal, and unless they say something specific to you, I really do not believe there is any need to reply. The jury is still out about whether or not fee waivers mean anything, but the general opinion here is they mean one of two things:
1. You're numbers are good for their school, and they want to keep their numbers high
2. They want you to apply specifically so they can reject you and increase their admissions stats

Go ahead and apply to the schools that sent you waivers if you want- it's not like it is going to cost you that much. Just don't put too much hope into the schools where your numbers aren't even in the 25%. But you never know- you might get surprised :)

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Any chance that you can retake the LSAT? A higher score would place you in a better position for GWU's PT program.

chaudhry

Postby chaudhry » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks JessicaTiger that was helpful information.

I would definitely like to retake the LSAT but I was told that taking Feb LSATs and waiting for the score would probably hurt my chances more. I would much rather transfer after first year than wait another year... but I am hoping I will do really well first year and bring up my LSAT scores.

jelly

Postby jelly » Sat May 01, 2010 3:09 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:I do think you have a pretty fair shot at DePaul. Your LSAT is a few points higher than mine and your GPA a few points lower, and I got in with money. For the personal statement, look to the admissions information on their website as your guide. Many of them give you information more than just "Submit a personal statement." I don't think there is anything wrong with writing about IP, just make sure that the statement is about you, not IP itself.

As for the fee waivers, no- you do not need to reply to the admissions reps that sent you the waivers. These letters are not (typically) personal, and unless they say something specific to you, I really do not believe there is any need to reply. The jury is still out about whether or not fee waivers mean anything, but the general opinion here is they mean one of two things:
1. You're numbers are good for their school, and they want to keep their numbers high
2. They want you to apply specifically so they can reject you and increase their admissions stats

Go ahead and apply to the schools that sent you waivers if you want- it's not like it is going to cost you that much. Just don't put too much hope into the schools where your numbers aren't even in the 25%. But you never know- you might get surprised :)

If you can get into Kent, go there over DePaul (and Houston). It's a better school and has a much stronger IP program (its affiliation with IIT makes it particularly strong for someone with an engineering background interested in patent law).

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:12 pm

Why are you so caught up on the IP rankings? A better school = more mobile degree = better career prospects. I know your numbers arent the best but try to aim higher. I doubt any of those schools are going to give you a real boost in an IP career. Also, look into Franklin Pierce if you insist on sticking to the IP rankings.

Postby 09042014 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Retake the LSAT.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat May 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Retake the LSAT.

DF is right, and I wish I did this.

Return to “What are my chances?”