3.34/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
sibley

3.34/170

Postby sibley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:52 pm

158 in Sept to 170 in Dec. Addendum for mono (threw off my gpa about .05 points senior year), LORs from an atty boss, an atty TA, and former dean of WashU law (was my prof, also pres of my ug). Worked for 3 years under university attorney in ug's immigration services office, a few elected club exec positions, appointed to a university committee, graduated May 09 and currently employed. Non-URM, middle-middle class (dad didn't go to college, mom just finished grad school a few years ago).

What are my chances?
-UCLA
-GW
-Georgetown
-Wash U
-UVA
-W&L
-W&M
-USC
-Bostons
-NYU
-UPenn
-Fordham
-Cornell

Thanks!

sibley

Re: 3.34/170

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 am

No one? :?

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:30 am

sibley wrote:158 in Sept to 170 in Dec. Addendum for mono (threw off my gpa about .05 points senior year), LORs from an atty boss, an atty TA, and former dean of WashU law (was my prof, also pres of my ug). Worked for 3 years under university attorney in ug's immigration services office, a few elected club exec positions, appointed to a university committee, graduated May 09 and currently employed. Non-URM, middle-middle class (dad didn't go to college, mom just finished grad school a few years ago).

What are my chances?
-UCLA - wl
-GW - in
-Georgetown - in PT
-Wash U- in
-UVA-out
-W&L in
-W&M in
-USC - wl
-Bostons - in
-NYU - out
-UPenn - out
-Fordham - in
-Cornell - in

Thanks!

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:07 am

sibley wrote:158 in Sept to 170 in Dec. Addendum for mono (threw off my gpa about .05 points senior year), LORs from an atty boss, an atty TA, and former dean of WashU law (was my prof, also pres of my ug). Worked for 3 years under university attorney in ug's immigration services office, a few elected club exec positions, appointed to a university committee, graduated May 09 and currently employed. Non-URM, middle-middle class (dad didn't go to college, mom just finished grad school a few years ago).

What are my chances?
-UCLA - In
-GW - In
-Georgetown - In
-Wash U - In
-UVA - In
-W&L - In
-W&M - In
-USC - In
-Bostons - In
-NYU - WL
-UPenn - In / WL
-Fordham - In
-Cornell - In

Thanks!

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks guys =)

Are there any glaring absences from my list?

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:00 pm

sibley wrote:Thanks guys =)

Are there any glaring absences from my list?

This might be home favoritism, and I don't know if you like Chicago, but Northwestern would be a good one to try if you're working right now. They love work experience and you have similar but better stats than I did last year. Might have a good shot.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks =) My brother went to UChicago for undergrad... they rejected me. Now I want to live somewhere warm (I already live on the great lakes and it's cold) but I'll see about applying to Northwestern anyway. Brrrr.

hmlee

Postby hmlee » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:48 am

sibley wrote:Thanks =) My brother went to UChicago for undergrad... they rejected me. Now I want to live somewhere warm (I already live on the great lakes and it's cold) but I'll see about applying to Northwestern anyway. Brrrr.

I went to U of C undergrad too. Yeah, the winters can be a bitch, but I love Northwestern and am so happy I decided to go here...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:16 am

Have you already applied to these schools? (It does matter how early/late you get your apps in. Applying in January can harm your chances a little over applying in Nov/Dec.)

I think you have a shot at UVA and Penn. Sadly you'll probably get a UVA WL, which is kind of a soft reject (two years in a row now they've taken almost nobody off the WL once they're on it), but with a 170 and 3 years WE you might get in at one of them.

I think you're in at every school Cornell and below, except UCLA which will probably WL you as mentioned (they don't like low GPAs very much). If you like warm climates you should consider Duke, it's a lower T14 you have a chance at with your numbers and as far south as the really good schools go.

You'll probably get $$ from WUSTL, maybe also from BC or BU and schools in that range. High LSAT will help you there. Fordham probably won't offer much because they're notoriously stingy about $$.

Good luck.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:47 pm

I applied this past week (it was all really a shock... didn't expect to go up 12 points so I couldn't help being last minute) to most of them. I'm just waiting for a fee waiver from Cornell (they said they'd send Monday) and a couple other places. But most of them are done.

I might have a diversity statement/urm thingy for disability that I can add to up my last-minute chances at the schools I have yet to apply to. Think that'll help?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:32 pm

sibley wrote:I applied this past week (it was all really a shock... didn't expect to go up 12 points so I couldn't help being last minute) to most of them. I'm just waiting for a fee waiver from Cornell (they said they'd send Monday) and a couple other places. But most of them are done.

I might have a diversity statement/urm thingy for disability that I can add to up my last-minute chances at the schools I have yet to apply to. Think that'll help?

It certainly could. Law schools value a diversity of opinions and experiences, and few law students have lived with a real disability. If it's a legitimate disability (I don't mean to offend you, just that sometimes people stretch something to try to claim diversity) then it'll help.

It won't give you a URM boost though, that's reserved for certain minority groups. Instead it'll be seen as a strong soft, which coupled with your 170 will help you a lot. You may even want to consider contacting the adcomms at UVA and Penn about adding it to your file; at those schools you'll be on the bubble and need all the help you can get.

Return to “What are my chances?”