Georgetown ASW

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

Postby 02122015 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Re: Georgetown ASW

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:10 am

MSPeast wrote:It's quiet in here. The official schedule was e-mailed out today. There's a 1:30 webcast of a torts class on Thursday. This works out well since I'm staying with a current student that I know from undergrad, and I'm gonna get to the Center around 12:30.

Who's going on the bus tour? I've been to D.C. before but it was in 2003, and I like things like bus tours, so I signed up for it.

Yeah, I'm definitely going. I think it'll be fun.

jadjerd

Postby jadjerd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Do you think there is other stuff we'll miss out on b/c of the bus tour (besides the game)? Bar reviews? Going out with other prospectives to see how much we all hate each other? Any thoughts?

I was a little disappointed by the schedule, it seems pretty light on exposure to the school. Does that send a message unintentionally? I'm reacting to it with suspicion.

Any one else have thoughts? I'm torn between whether they aren't trying that hard to impress us, don't have the resources to try that hard, or the impersonalization of it is really true to such a big school.

Please no offended replies.. I'm not trying to make a statement here.. just curious of other's thoughts.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:07 pm

jadjerd wrote:Do you think there is other stuff we'll miss out on b/c of the bus tour (besides the game)? Bar reviews? Going out with other prospectives to see how much we all hate each other? Any thoughts?

I was going to ask this. I'd rather go to bar review, but I just figured people wouldn't go out until like 10 anyway. I'm not sure if that's how it is in DC, but I just assumed because that's how it is in NY. Maybe gilchristh can let us know around what time the bar review is going on. Hopefully after the bus tour!

Postby 02122015 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:35 pm

MSPeast wrote:The 1L I'm staying with told me bar review isn't until pretty late, like at least 10. I made sure to ask before RSVPing to the bus tour.

That's what I figured. Thanks!

Richard Rorty

Postby Richard Rorty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:43 pm

I'll be there, is anyone else staying at Hostelling International on Thursday night?

+1 to being interested in Bar Review

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 pm

Richard Rorty wrote:I'll be there, is anyone else staying at Hostelling International on Thursday night?

I think I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency. I just took their list of hotels in walking distance and booked the cheapest :D

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:I'll be there, is anyone else staying at Hostelling International on Thursday night?

I think I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency. I just took their list of hotels in walking distance and booked the cheapest :D

I was at the Hyatt Regency last week and it is really nice. It is less than a block to the law school also. Bring a swim suit as the pool there is around 92 degrees... I love to swim so I spent hours in it..

Parking there is expensive so plan on parking at a parking garage if you have a car with you, 42.00 there with valet parking or 24 at a garage... I used valet, but I like my car being near me.

Postby 02122015 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:40 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

I was at the Hyatt Regency last week and it is really nice. It is less than a block to the law school also. Bring a swim suit as the pool there is around 92 degrees... I love to swim so I spent hours in it..

Parking there is expensive so plan on parking at a parking garage if you have a car with you, 42.00 there with valet parking or 24 at a garage... I used valet, but I like my car being near me.

Thanks for that. I will be with my parents (they are dying to run around DC) so I'll let them know, since they'll be paying for everything (YAY!). I didn't even think to bring a swimsuit, but will do, that could be fun. My mom is sort of a hotel snob, so I'm sure she'll be glad to hear it's nice.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:

Thanks for that. I will be with my parents (they are dying to run around DC) so I'll let them know, since they'll be paying for everything (YAY!). I didn't even think to bring a swimsuit, but will do, that could be fun. My mom is sort of a hotel snob, so I'm sure she'll be glad to hear it's nice.

They have an all you can eat breakfast bar in the morning for 20 dollars a person that is ok, not worth 20 dollars though..

I pick hotels based on indoor pools first... Well I make sure they are clean, but I always look for indoor pools to go with it.
I suggest not driving around DC. There are trains, busses, cabs, and walking. Driving is somewhat hard to do and not as fun as any of the other modes of transportation.

Anyone feel free to PM me any questions. I wasn't there long so don't expect much. :)

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:I think I'm staying at the Hyatt Regency. I just took their list of hotels in walking distance and booked the cheapest :D

They have an all you can eat breakfast bar in the morning for 20 dollars a person that is ok, not worth 20 dollars though..

I pick hotels based on indoor pools first... Well I make sure they are clean, but I always look for indoor pools to go with it.
I suggest not driving around DC. There are trains, busses, cabs, and walking. Driving is somewhat hard to do and not as fun as any of the other modes of transportation.

I've had a pool almost my whole life, and though I can swim, I rarely go in because my hair is long and difficult to handle. Such a stupid thing :)

Every time I've been to DC, I've always taken public transportation. It's such a good metro system, and much simpler than what I'm used to in NY.

Luc252

Postby Luc252 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:55 am

Hey All,

First time posting! Does anyone know if we're going to get a tour of Gewirz? Would love to see some units before I make a final decision on putting down a deposit. Thanks!

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Luc252 wrote:Hey All,

First time posting! Does anyone know if we're going to get a tour of Gewirz? Would love to see some units before I make a final decision on putting down a deposit. Thanks!

Hey Luc,

Tours should take you to see a room in Gewirz. Make sure to tell your tour guide that you want to see one and they'll set it up.

To everyone--I came to this Open House last year, and I highly recommend the Illumination bus tour. It's super cool: you get to see all the monuments lit up at night (which is really pretty) and you have a 50% chance of getting yours truly for your tour narrator :)

To everyone who's interested in bar review, I'll let ya know the location once we get the email (probably tomorrow). I'll meet a group at the law center at 9:45pm and guide y'all to public transportation and onward to our destination. Feel free to come introduce yourselves to me--we'll probably get up and say a quick hello to you at the welcome session, but otherwise, I'll be the female bus tour guide. I'm looking forward to welcoming you all!

Heather

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:19 am

As promised:

Event: SBA Presents Bar Review @ Ozio
What: Bar Night
Start Time: Thursday, March 25 at 9:00pm
End Time: Friday, March 26 at 2:00am
Where: 1813 M Street, NW Washington, DC 20036

WhatUpKells

Postby WhatUpKells » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 pm

Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is everyone else wearing to ASW? Should I be wearing formal stuff, or just what I would wear any other day (as a UG, not someone in the workforce).

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:51 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is everyone else wearing to ASW? Should I be wearing formal stuff, or just what I would wear any other day (as a UG, not someone in the workforce).

Jeans or other pants are fine, as long as they're not too ratty. It's pretty informal. No need to get all fancied up for us :)

WhatUpKells

Postby WhatUpKells » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:01 pm

gilchristh wrote:
WhatUpKells wrote:Sorry if this has been answered already, but what is everyone else wearing to ASW? Should I be wearing formal stuff, or just what I would wear any other day (as a UG, not someone in the workforce).

Jeans or other pants are fine, as long as they're not too ratty. It's pretty informal. No need to get all fancied up for us :)

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks gilchristh!

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:24 pm

gilchristh wrote:

How do people dress for bar review? the place seemed kinda nice, so heels (booties?) or flats?

gilchristh

Postby gilchristh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Kim617 wrote:How do people dress for bar review? the place seemed kinda nice, so heels (booties?) or flats?

Whatever you'd normally wear out is fine. We tend to not get dressed up for anything short of job interviews, so expect to see plenty of people in jeans with a few slightly dressier folks peppered in. I''ll probably wear jeans and a top with heels, or maybe if the weather is nice a casual dress.

Postby 02122015 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:26 am

OMW!!!

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Bump.

jjohn4

Postby jjohn4 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I have a friend there, no reason to dress up for bar review...
Jason John Gambrills, MD

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”