What do you do at an Admit Day?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
cari426
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby cari426 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:02 pm

This may be a stupid question, but there you have it. I have been accepted to a school via phone call/status checker but haven't gotten the letter yet, which may answer this question, but was just wondering about it in the meantime. Thanks!!

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby Slimpee » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 pm

I haven't been to an admit day but I would imagine it consists of the following:

1. Basking in each other's awesomeness
2. Judging the shit out of one another

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby The Zeppelin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Tour the law school
Attend an actual class
Meet with profs, staff, current students, & other accepted students
Maybe eat a sandwich

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby UFMatt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Slimpee wrote:I haven't been to an admit day but I would imagine it consists of the following:

1. Basking in each other's awesomeness
2. Judging the shit out of one another


:lol: No doubt!

I'm sure there would also be:

3. Checking out the campus and city.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:22 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:Tour the law school
Attend an actual class
Meet with profs, staff, current students, & other accepted students
Maybe eat a sandwich


AND

Have your ego stroked.
Watch faculty stroke each other's ego.
Talk about ITE and watch faculty and administration dance around the fact that 80% or more of their current outgoing 3Ls are jobless.
Possibly get some free shit with the school's name on it.

cari426
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby cari426 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:27 pm

I guess I was kind of hoping for something different from what I did on my visit (tour, class sit-in, etc.). Considering that I went to this school as an undergrad and have lived in the city for the past decade, there's not much really to check out as far as I am concerned. Is it really worth going to do you think? Is it required?

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Models & Bottles

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby UFMatt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm

cari426 wrote:I guess I was kind of hoping for something different from what I did on my visit (tour, class sit-in, etc.). Considering that I went to this school as an undergrad and have lived in the city for the past decade, there's not much really to check out as far as I am concerned. Is it really worth going to do you think? Is it required?


I'd go just to meet people.

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby The Zeppelin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:30 pm

cari426 wrote:I guess I was kind of hoping for something different from what I did on my visit (tour, class sit-in, etc.). Considering that I went to this school as an undergrad and have lived in the city for the past decade, there's not much really to check out as far as I am concerned. Is it really worth going to do you think? Is it required?

Not really and no.

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby irie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Slimpee wrote:I haven't been to an admit day but I would imagine it consists of the following:

1. Basking in each other's awesomeness
2. Judging the shit out of one another


depends on school

cari426
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby cari426 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:36 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Models & Bottles


What does this mean?

User avatar
The Zeppelin
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby The Zeppelin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:40 pm

cari426 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Models & Bottles


What does this mean?

Alcoholic beverages & attractive ladies

cari426
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby cari426 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:48 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:
cari426 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Models & Bottles


What does this mean?

Alcoholic beverages & attractive ladies


That's what I thought. I'm down with the bottles, but what about any attractive males at these things? LOL I don't have any need for attractive ladies unless I'm in the market for a self-esteem meltdown HaH.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:49 pm

cari426 wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:
cari426 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:Models & Bottles


What does this mean?

Alcoholic beverages & attractive ladies


That's what I thought. I'm down with the bottles, but what about any [strike]attractive[/strike]males at these things? LOL I don't have any need for attractive ladies unless I'm in the market for a self-esteem meltdown HaH.

I can promise males.

sillysassafrass
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:22 am

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby sillysassafrass » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:38 am

Well, seeing as I went to (wait let me count) 5 open house days, I can tell you they all have a few things in common.

1. you will usually have an informal breakfast (buffet or continental style) where students all sit down and try to be friendly too each other before the "events" officially start. At some schools, professors will also sit down at the tabls and talk to you in the morning.
2. After breakfast you will usually have a presentation from the dean or assistant dean.
3. You will usually have a "mock class" rather than a sitting in a real class, seeing is there will be between 30-100 of you on campus at one time.
4. You will hear a presentation from career services about how the job market isn't as bad as you think it is.
5. You will have lunch, and will typicallly ( I think at all of the ones i went to) sit with professors at your table. Usually the seeting is not assigned, but at one school it was a free for all to sit at the table with professor you wanted to talk to.
6. You will usually listen to a presentation about financial aid.
7. You will break into groups and tour the campus with current students. At this time you can ask questions to current students.
8. In the afternoon there will be tables set up with information on the clubs at the school.
9. Some schools will hold an event later in the evening at a bar with free drinks and food. 2 out of the 5 did this that I attended.
10. Some schools will have a panel of either professors answer directed questions and then open questions, or a panel of alumni.

Think that was about it. It can be mayhem if is not organized very well. A few I attended left me really bad feelings about the overall organizations and structures of the school. YOu have to wonder why they don't do a better job if they are planing this months in advance. The largest group I had was with 220 other admits, the smallest was 8?

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Is it absolutely worth it? I might have to rearrange work and so forth to make some.

Are admit days crucial to gaining an understanding of the school, or are you better served by visiting informally?


sillysassafrass wrote:Well, seeing as I went to (wait let me count) 5 open house days, I can tell you they all have a few things in common.

1. you will usually have an informal breakfast (buffet or continental style) where students all sit down and try to be friendly too each other before the "events" officially start. At some schools, professors will also sit down at the tabls and talk to you in the morning.
2. After breakfast you will usually have a presentation from the dean or assistant dean.
3. You will usually have a "mock class" rather than a sitting in a real class, seeing is there will be between 30-100 of you on campus at one time.
4. You will hear a presentation from career services about how the job market isn't as bad as you think it is.
5. You will have lunch, and will typicallly ( I think at all of the ones i went to) sit with professors at your table. Usually the seeting is not assigned, but at one school it was a free for all to sit at the table with professor you wanted to talk to.
6. You will usually listen to a presentation about financial aid.
7. You will break into groups and tour the campus with current students. At this time you can ask questions to current students.
8. In the afternoon there will be tables set up with information on the clubs at the school.
9. Some schools will hold an event later in the evening at a bar with free drinks and food. 2 out of the 5 did this that I attended.
10. Some schools will have a panel of either professors answer directed questions and then open questions, or a panel of alumni.

Think that was about it. It can be mayhem if is not organized very well. A few I attended left me really bad feelings about the overall organizations and structures of the school. YOu have to wonder why they don't do a better job if they are planing this months in advance. The largest group I had was with 220 other admits, the smallest was 8?

User avatar
reasonabledoubt
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:19 pm

cari426 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but there you have it. I have been accepted to a school via phone call/status checker but haven't gotten the letter yet, which may answer this question, but was just wondering about it in the meantime. Thanks!!


Sexytime?

washed out
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby washed out » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am

I plan on being a complete anti-social prick my entire time in law school. Will the activities at the discussed Admit Day deter these plans? Must I partake in interpersonal conversations and engage in body contact via the extension and grasping of the hands with various people of close proximity to my area? I have yet to learn whether the presence of alcohol may retard my senses on my path to "open up" and "reveal a bit about myself, re: interests, background, hobbies..."

Hm?

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby underachiever » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51 am

Think what would Ron Artest do in this situation....and then act that way

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:27 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Is it absolutely worth it? I might have to rearrange work and so forth to make some.

Are admit days crucial to gaining an understanding of the school, or are you better served by visiting informally?


Anyone care to answer this? :oops:

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04 pm

After going to an ASD and visiting numerous schools, I recommend setting up your own visit. It will be much more informative and personal.

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby Padimud » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:11 am

CordeliusX wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:Is it absolutely worth it? I might have to rearrange work and so forth to make some.

Are admit days crucial to gaining an understanding of the school, or are you better served by visiting informally?


Anyone care to answer this? :oops:


I would have to agree with setting up your own visit. I have seen both and far and away the most beneficial for me has been the personal touch along with personal meetings with people in the school. Rather than the one of many ask two questions because everyone else needs a turn feel.

User avatar
Onion
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby Onion » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 am

Do parents go to these things? My old man wants to come but I was not sure if that was the norm.

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby transparency » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

not sure if parents are allowed, but i'm going to have my dad come along with me and pretend to be a really old student that can't speak english too well.

User avatar
Onion
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: What do you do at an Admit Day?

Postby Onion » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am

transparency wrote:not sure if parents are allowed, but i'm going to have my dad come along with me and pretend to be a really old student that can't speak english too well.


You just literally made me laugh out loud in the office... people are staring at me!




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest