john marshall chicago anyone?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
rajS

john marshall chicago anyone?

Postby rajS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:20 pm

im reading good things about this school and they also reported to make a decent salary after graduation. Just posting to verify and see if anyone on TLS attends school here and maybe get some insider info about how it is. anyone? even if you dont go to school here, any info would be great, even if your going to make jokes and clown the school for being a t4..it is what it is..has decent ranking for usnews park time schools

AmicusCuriae

Re: john marshall chicago anyone?

Postby AmicusCuriae » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:29 pm

You'll probably have a hard time finding work in Chicago unless you're at the top of the class. The school's reputation in the city isn't too hot, outside the small firms that have a lot of JMLS alum. BigLaw is next to impossible for anyone not in the top 5 of the class. Not top 5%, top 5 students. The school itself isn't bad. Decent facilities, the professors are great, good location. If you have decent stats they'll throw money your way, but just know that you'll have a rough time trying to find a job come graduation.

lscurious

Postby lscurious » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:34 pm

anecdotally, i've heard JM is very good if you want to get in with the DA's office. they're known for being a very practical law school.

tome

Postby tome » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:42 pm

lscurious wrote:anecdotally, i've heard JM is very good if you want to get in with the DA's office. they're known for being a very practical law school.

This is the case. It is also why JM has a disproportionate amount of judge alums for its ranking. I know a guy who is going there because he wants to go this way, and he is hoping to get out pretty debt free to make this doable.

I took the LSAT there, and was in fact there today interviewing to proctor their exams, and I can say that it is a sweet location with pretty sweet facilities. The students always seem pretty chill and worthwhile too.

One word of advice, though: be wary of their scholarship, as keeping them tends to be on a competitive basis.

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:43 pm

a friend of mine graduated from there last year and landed a good job i think 60 or 70 k in chicago

rajS

Postby rajS » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 pm

thanx alot everyone, great input. also i know they offer spring admission which someone told me makes it alot easier to get into the school b/c less people apply for that. I strongly believe law school really is what you make of it along with the grades if you network and grind in the area eventually it will pay off. and i hear good things about starting salary as well. any more info please share and let me know.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Fri May 08, 2009 2:55 am

orgdonor

Postby orgdonor » Mon May 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Really? What are you going to do with the degree once you get it? How much are you going to take out in loans in order to get the degree?

If you can't get a job, it will be a pretty stupid decision.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:35 pm

lscurious wrote:anecdotally, i've heard JM is very good if you want to get in with the DA's office. they're known for being a very practical law school.

Be careful with this one, as many DA, public defender and public interest offices in Chicago (all traditional, statistical places JMLS graduates end up) are under hiring freezes and have been for some time.

rgucsb

Postby rgucsb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:54 am

rsuelzer

Postby rsuelzer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:31 am

I think it is one of the lowest ranked schools in the entire nation. FYI.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 am

danimax

Postby danimax » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:18 am

John Marshall (JMLS) is a great school. I actually attended John Marshall - as a visiting student. I currently attend in Ohio, although I started my law school journey in another school in Michigan. In my opinion, based on my experience and knowledge, JMLS is truly among one of the best. First of all, these days, employment prospects after graduation are not necessarily related to which school you attend. It's all about you; how you network and deal w/people; how much you learned, etc. Mind you almost all law schools use same law books; and most students learn the material from reading these books and supplements as opposed to learning from professors. Don't get me wrong, profs are there to teach, but I think in practice and effect they are there to guide you and assist you, which is not the same as "teach" you the material. You will learn this quick when you enroll. Anyway, back to JMLS. I love JMLS because it offers large veriety of classes and with great flexibility. In other words, after 1L, you can pretty much take any class you want, including accelerated and online classes, classes over winter break, and above all they offer these classes at different times so you never have to take one but not the other b/c they overlap. I am not sure about profs. (they vary class to class) but the leadership and the deans at JMLS truly care about their students and will do anything they can to help you. I like that their Property and Torts classes are limited to 4 credits each, as opposed to 6 at other schools (waste of time if you ask me). They do concentrate on legal writing, however, I think you have to take like 9 credits of writing courses, other schools (ones I know) limit legal writing to like 6 credits. I'd much rather take legal writing (very practical skill to have) than study property and waste extra time on negligence and products liability (these conepts should be taught in like 2 days if you ask me). Anyway, classes at JMLS are very practical too. For example, they let you take accelerated trial advocacy (3 credit hour class in one week). Other school may make you do this for the entire semester, waste of time again. Remember, these days you want to conentrate on practical classes, ones you think you may actually use, and JMLS goes out of their way to ensure you don't "waste" your time. I know many other schools have a preset curriculum which requires you take a lot of classes that they THINK are important for you or the bar, but at JMLS they let you make that determination - they don't impose courses upon you that you may not want to take (obviously nowwithstanding 1L classes and some other requirements that every law student must take). Anyway, these factors may not mean to you much on their own, but trust me, in the aggregate, collectively, these make a huge difference when you are in school. So again, my advice is not to worry so much about your job perspective after graduation, but worry more about making your leagal education as pleasant, meaninful, and practical as you can. Good people at JMLS, take my word.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 am

tome wrote:

This is the case. It is also why JM has a disproportionate amount of judge alums for its ranking. I know a guy who is going there because he wants to go this way, and he is hoping to get out pretty debt free to make this doable.

I took the LSAT there, and was in fact there today interviewing to proctor their exams, and I can say that it is a sweet location with pretty sweet facilities. The students always seem pretty chill and worthwhile too.

One word of advice, though: be wary of their scholarship, as keeping them tends to be on a competitive basis.

I second everything in this post. I visited over the weekend an was so impressed with the facilities. Their TWO mock courtrooms rival with any other school's and the facilities are all very nice (even the older parts of the building have fresh paint, new carpeting, etc.). I visited depaul a few weeks back and found it old, dark, dreary, decrepit. Beware of the curve, though. My student tour guide told me that 15% of the 1L class must receive a D or F. The scholarship I received stipulates I remain in the top 1/3 of the class. This would breed competition, I'm sure.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:54 pm

JMLS is one of the worst law schools in the nation, and it's not worth attending even w/ full scholly.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 pm

tttlllsss wrote:JMLS is one of the worst law schools in the nation, and it's not worth attending even w/ full scholly.

Bad bump is bad.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Oh no

:- (

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

I know someone who took out massive loans from a private lender for JMLS. Little above median and he can't find anything at all; said a number of people are in extremely bad positions. Chicago cost of living is absolutely killing him now and did so during law school. There are so many vastly superior schools around the area and they draw top students from all over the place. The DA/PD/other government stuff is hyper competitive according to him and I would be inclined to believe it. It is not like you are going to North Dakota and looking for a job competing against other North Dakota students. Of course there are far more jobs in Chicago than many other areas but you are going to be going up against top quality talent. And keep in mind that they are pumping out massive numbers of students with each graduating class.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:28 pm

tttlllsss wrote:JMLS is one of the worst law schools in the nation, and it's not worth attending even w/ full scholly.

Oh? How so? Worse than Cooley? If your going to be the ass that bumps an old thread at least make it worthwhile of reading. Elaborate, please.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:45 pm

angiej wrote:

Oh? How so? Worse than Cooley? If your going to be the ass that bumps an old thread at least make it worthwhile of reading. Elaborate, please.

:lol: I don't think Cooley is supposed to guide standards in the way you suggest.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:58 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
angiej wrote:

:lol: I don't think Cooley is supposed to guide standards in the way you suggest.

Right, I agree. But if someone says that it is "one of the worst law schools in the nation," I'd like to know how terrible it really is and why its soo terrible. I think we are all in common agreement that Cooley is "the" worst, so perhaps tttlllsss could use Cooley as a comparison tool. I just find baseless, factualess claims particularly annoying. If we are all aspiring to be future lawyers we should all learn that we can't just walk up to a judge and say "my client is the best driver ever and the defendant is the worst client ever, therefore the defendant caused the traffic accident."

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:11 pm

angiej wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
angiej wrote:Oh? How so? Worse than Cooley? If your going to be the ass that bumps an old thread at least make it worthwhile of reading. Elaborate, please.

Right, I agree. But if someone says that it is "one of the worst law schools in the nation," I'd like to know how terrible it really is and why its soo terrible. I think we are all in common agreement that Cooley is "the" worst, so perhaps tttlllsss could use Cooley as a comparison tool. I just find baseless, factualess claims particularly annoying. If we are all aspiring to be future lawyers we should all learn that we can't just walk up to a judge and say "my client is the best driver ever and the defendant is the worst client ever, therefore the defendant caused the traffic accident."

I'm fairly confident a school's number and quality of mock trial courtrooms is not the correct answer to the inverse of your query either, IMHO. You might be on to something with the comment about how ridiculous the scholarship contingency is though.

/elitism

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:19 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
angiej wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
angiej wrote:Oh? How so? Worse than Cooley? If your going to be the ass that bumps an old thread at least make it worthwhile of reading. Elaborate, please.

I'm fairly confident a school's number and quality of mock trial courtrooms is not the correct answer to the inverse of your query either, IMHO. You might be on to something with the comment about how ridiculous the scholarship contingency is though.

/elitism

True. Though I was impressed to know that JMLS's mock trial teams are actually extremely competitive. (In 2009 they placed fourth overall: http://www.lawschooladvocacy.com/). Bar stat wise they are pretty decent, but of course their employment statistics are concerning. These are the sort of specific items I'm looking for to help me make factual determinations about this school.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 pm

angiej wrote:True. Though I was impressed to know that JMLS's mock trial teams are actually extremely competitive. (In 2009 they placed fourth overall: http://www.lawschooladvocacy.com/). Bar stat wise they are pretty decent, but of course their employment statistics are concerning. These are the sort of specific items I'm looking for to help me make factual determinations about this school.

While that's certainly impressive to those in the law school world, I don't measure law schools by how good their moot court teams are. I'm in law school to get a job after graduation, not participate in extracurricular activities while I'm here. Further, I would imagine (and this is totally a guess) that it's a bit difficult to make it onto one of the moot court teams that comprise that ranking. I view this kind of like judging a school's legal placement after graduation based solely on what the top students are capable of. Finally, 2009 is the first year JMLS made that particular ranking list (which surely can't be the only ranking in the country, even if it is the most cited or whatever) in at least three years (based on that website). I'd hardly call that success "sustained."

Different strokes, I guess.

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 pm

danimax wrote:John Marshall (JMLS) is a great school. I actually attended John Marshall - as a visiting student. I currently attend in Ohio, although I started my law school journey in another school in Michigan. In my opinion, based on my experience and knowledge, JMLS is truly among one of the best. First of all, these days, employment prospects after graduation are not necessarily related to which school you attend. It's all about you; how you network and deal w/people; how much you learned, etc. Mind you almost all law schools use same law books; and most students learn the material from reading these books and supplements as opposed to learning from professors. Don't get me wrong, profs are there to teach, but I think in practice and effect they are there to guide you and assist you, which is not the same as "teach" you the material. You will learn this quick when you enroll. Anyway, back to JMLS. I love JMLS because it offers large veriety of classes and with great flexibility. In other words, after 1L, you can pretty much take any class you want, including accelerated and online classes, classes over winter break, and above all they offer these classes at different times so you never have to take one but not the other b/c they overlap. I am not sure about profs. (they vary class to class) but the leadership and the deans at JMLS truly care about their students and will do anything they can to help you. I like that their Property and Torts classes are limited to 4 credits each, as opposed to 6 at other schools (waste of time if you ask me). They do concentrate on legal writing, however, I think you have to take like 9 credits of writing courses, other schools (ones I know) limit legal writing to like 6 credits. I'd much rather take legal writing (very practical skill to have) than study property and waste extra time on negligence and products liability (these conepts should be taught in like 2 days if you ask me). Anyway, classes at JMLS are very practical too. For example, they let you take accelerated trial advocacy (3 credit hour class in one week). Other school may make you do this for the entire semester, waste of time again. Remember, these days you want to conentrate on practical classes, ones you think you may actually use, and JMLS goes out of their way to ensure you don't "waste" your time. I know many other schools have a preset curriculum which requires you take a lot of classes that they THINK are important for you or the bar, but at JMLS they let you make that determination - they don't impose courses upon you that you may not want to take (obviously nowwithstanding 1L classes and some other requirements that every law student must take). Anyway, these factors may not mean to you much on their own, but trust me, in the aggregate, collectively, these make a huge difference when you are in school. So again, my advice is not to worry so much about your job perspective after graduation, but worry more about making your leagal education as pleasant, meaninful, and practical as you can. Good people at JMLS, take my word.

This is a good bump for those considering staying in Chicago.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”