Fordham ASD (March 28) Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
legends159

Silver

Re: Fordham ASD (March 28)

Post by legends159 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:The 2008 stats... these guys are insane. how is this possible? The NLJ list says they placed 44%...

http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/cp-2JDProS ... ml?id=1709

2.5% of the class made it to California? I wonder if people self select to stay on the East Coast, or if this represents a greater challenge in placing out west. Still, I am impressed.
Do you think they might be cooking the books a little, though? Maybe counting some doc reviewers, staff attorney's among the 101+ attorney ranks?
Well firms can only take so many CLS/NYU kids.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 pm

geoanthem wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:The 2008 stats... these guys are insane. how is this possible? The NLJ list says they placed 44%...

http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/cp-2JDProS ... ml?id=1709

2.5% of the class made it to California? I wonder if people self select to stay on the East Coast, or if this represents a greater challenge in placing out west. Still, I am impressed.
Do you think they might be cooking the books a little, though? Maybe counting some doc reviewers, staff attorney's among the 101+ attorney ranks?
Wouldn't that bring down the average salary a good deal?
Good point...

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:07 am

nitsudrx...just curious what you thought about ASD? i know you made a pretty decent trip to get there

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am

I attended - I liked the school and everyone was enthusiastic.

Although, every school seems really enthusiastic about their own school so who knows!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:00 am

jrock12 wrote:nitsudrx...just curious what you thought about ASD? i know you made a pretty decent trip to get there
I was quite impressed with the ASD, though I was disappointed I didn't get to meet more prospective students or any professors. The layout of the day didn't lend itself as well to this, as GMU did for example (where I met many prospective students and was able to talk to professors for about 45 minutes).

I'll quickly run through my impressions of the day:

Welcome: Dean Treanor seemed really cool. I liked the way he spoke right off the bat. It seems like he really cares about the future of the school and the students. As someone else mentioned, it appears he takes a very hands on approach. As an aside, I have to wonder where they keep pulling this "15 most selective schools" fact from though. Clearly, the top 14 schools are more selective. Vanderbilt is more selective. I'm pretty sure UCLA and GW are slightly more selective as well.

Curriculum: I like the fact that Fordham offers a wide variety of courses. The presentation itself was ho-hum, but depth of course selection is impressive. The study abroad options are pretty neat (I wonder how this looks to employers?)

Mock Class: I know mixed things have been said on this thread, but I thought it was really fun, if perhaps unrepresentative of a real law class. The professor was great. I thought it was funny how he cold-called on prospective students!

Career Services: This dean is awesome. She is obviously very passionate about her job and Fordham. It seems Fordham has made great strides in this area under her. What she said about her old firm's managing partner (Sidley Austin) being a huge Fordham fan is definitely true. In fact, Sidley Austin took 14 associates from Fordham's 2008 class. The employment stats are definitely impressive, and it seems like Fordham does much better than its USNWR would indicate, or its internet reputation would lead one to believe.

Student Panel: Good mix of students.

Break out sessions: Only got to go to 2, evening division and financial aid. The evening division panelists were very informative. Man, the guy in the green shirt was incredibly smart. Law review, a full time job, and part time school. Incredible. I wasn't impressed by the dean of enrollment's financial aid presentation. The guy was closing his eyes and leaning on the desk. It seemed a bit insulting that he was speaking like this to students who are about to drop 100k+ on school... He spoke as if he was a cop reading us our Miranda Rights or something.

Overall, as I said before, quite impressed and almost worth the 10 hour bus ride (yes, because of assholes deciding it was a good idea to fill potholes during rush hour, the 4 hour drive from DC turned into 10.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monstraconpatas

New

Post by monstraconpatas » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 am

To broach911 on housing:

Fordham does have studio and 1 bedroom apartments for graduate students but they are not on campus, they are on the East side of Manhattan and you can find the information here:

http://www.fordham.edu/student_affairs/ ... /index.asp

Prices are slightly higher than the dorms but if you are like me, a person who is used to not having roommates and/or too old for that stuff, this might be an option.

I am from NYC so I know that you can find cheaper apartments on the West side like West Harlem, Morningside Heights and Washington Heights (which are on the same subway line) for somewhat lower prices. I personally find these areas safe and I feel comfortable in them, but not every person is used to living in urban areas so I would recommend visiting those areas before you sign a lease.

Of course, if you are new to the city, having roommates and living with people who are going through the same experience as yours will probably help create and cement friendships.

Like everything, it's your call.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:34 am

hells kitchen is still very affordable, esp. if willing to live with a roommate

i lived there for almost 3 yrs...its very close to campus and definitely safer (if its a concern) than harlem/MH

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:43 am

the student (harold? 1L, went to UMich and worked for American Express after UG) who spoke to our table during lunch, mentioned a book that he would read before starting law school...i can not seem to remember the name of it at all....did anyone else speak to him? or know of the typical books people suggest to read (not actual law type books, but i think it was more of a mental prep/way of thinking book or something along those lines)

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:21 pm

jrock12 wrote:the student (harold? 1L, went to UMich and worked for American Express after UG) who spoke to our table during lunch, mentioned a book that he would read before starting law school...i can not seem to remember the name of it at all....did anyone else speak to him? or know of the typical books people suggest to read (not actual law type books, but i think it was more of a mental prep/way of thinking book or something along those lines)
I was the chick at the next table who asked him the question about how he prepped his summer before 1L. The book is "Getting to Maybe".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:43 pm

ahhh thats the one! looks like i wasnt too far off from what its all about...

thanks smitty! i was sitting right next to/behind you

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:45 pm

No prob. Are you going to be attending Fordham? I am thinking yes but am still debating.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:27 pm

yes, i'll be going. i was fairly certain before the ASD, but after going, i think the choice is even more clear...i am now completely confident in the employment prospects post-graduation

where else are you debating between smitty?

anyone else make a decision since the weekend?

paddy

New

Post by paddy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey everyone, Im (hopefully) coming over from Ireland to do a masters at Fordham this year, any idea where I can find cheap accommodation? I know this is way off topic but any help would be great!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmittyLaw

New

Post by SmittyLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:38 pm

jrock12 wrote:yes, i'll be going. i was fairly certain before the ASD, but after going, i think the choice is even more clear...i am now completely confident in the employment prospects post-graduation

I live in NYC right now but also got into WUSTL and Emory with $ (and Cardozo but I don't think I'm going there). I would want to come back to NYC after law school probably so Fordham seems the best bet, even though it may not be as good as WUSTL or Emory.

DaveDude

New

Post by DaveDude » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

I really liked what I learned about Fordham at the ASD and I got good vibes from the administration, current students, and potential classmates. Facilities, like other posters have mentioned, remind me of high school but at least the library looks like it has plenty of space and is well maintained.

Finding housing is going to suck. Hard.

Strong chance I will be attending, but I'm going to check out BU this week. I'm also waiting to hear back from one of my reach schools, and I was put on reserve at the other.

Btw, I think Fordham need-based financial aid packages are being sent out. I received mine over the weekend.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

SmittyLaw wrote:
jrock12 wrote:yes, i'll be going. i was fairly certain before the ASD, but after going, i think the choice is even more clear...i am now completely confident in the employment prospects post-graduation

I live in NYC right now but also got into WUSTL and Emory with $ (and Cardozo but I don't think I'm going there). I would want to come back to NYC after law school probably so Fordham seems the best bet, even though it may not be as good as WUSTL or Emory.
I think it's on the same level as those other schools.

djh

New

Post by djh » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:18 am

Moltenlavalamp wrote:Hey. I am in the process of deciding between Fordham and Cardozo with $$, which I think there are several people on here making the same decision. I had a chance to go to the Cardozo admitted students day last weekend but I unfortantely can not make it to Fordham's this week. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone that is making a similar decision and has the chance to attend both could hit me up after this weekend to let me know their thoughts on the differences between the two programs and the feels of the schools.

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. Somebody convince me that taking a full ride at Cardozo isn't worth what Fordham can give me, considering biglaw is not in the picture.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:33 am

djh wrote:
Moltenlavalamp wrote:Hey. I am in the process of deciding between Fordham and Cardozo with $$, which I think there are several people on here making the same decision. I had a chance to go to the Cardozo admitted students day last weekend but I unfortantely can not make it to Fordham's this week. I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone that is making a similar decision and has the chance to attend both could hit me up after this weekend to let me know their thoughts on the differences between the two programs and the feels of the schools.

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. Somebody convince me that taking a full ride at Cardozo isn't worth what Fordham can give me, considering biglaw is not in the picture.
If Biglaw is not in the picture, I'm not sure Cardozo isn't worth it. I'd look over terms of keeping the scholarship, though.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 am

casper00 wrote:
djh wrote:

Thanks!
If Biglaw is not in the picture, I'm not sure Cardozo isn't worth it. I'd look over terms of keeping the scholarship, though.
I agree with this. If you are sure you do not want to do Big Law, Fordham might not be worth it. If you want to keep it as an option you need to weigh your options a little more carefully.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:14 pm

i'm just kind of throwing this out there for discussion and to fill my own curiosity...is there anyone out there who thinks that fordham is worth it to simply give yourself a leg up on a better/higher paying non-biglaw job?

i understand its a different story when one is deciding between a full scholarship at another respectable school, but if you're not 100% set on biglaw type jobs, i think its still worth the $...the difference in salaries in non-biglaw jobs could be $50k+, and i know i'd much rather be on the higher end of that difference

maybe i'm just a product of the working world, but was wondering what others thought

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:36 pm

jrock12 wrote:i'm just kind of throwing this out there for discussion and to fill my own curiosity...is there anyone out there who thinks that fordham is worth it to simply give yourself a leg up on a better/higher paying non-biglaw job?

i understand its a different story when one is deciding between a full scholarship at another respectable school, but if you're not 100% set on biglaw type jobs, i think its still worth the $...the difference in salaries in non-biglaw jobs could be $50k+, and i know i'd much rather be on the higher end of that difference

maybe i'm just a product of the working world, but was wondering what others thought
I've heard that Fordham also feeds well into midlaw. Since Columbia, NYU and much of Fordham's class goes into biglaw, some midlaw firms want to recruit Fordham grads, if they need to supplement their lateral hiring.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:56 pm

you make a decision at all yet nitsudrx? i know you were still waiting on a few things

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

jrock, I'm still waiting on GULC and GW... I'm trying to get by deadline extended, because I'm still dealing with other logistical issues as well. What about you?

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:49 am

I got my deposit in a few weeks ago, still waiting for confirmation they received it. They haven't cashed my check yet.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:56 am

I hereby declare my intention to deposit at Fordham on the day I am offered admission.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”