Miami this weekend!

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
baileyxx

Re: Miami this weekend!

Postby baileyxx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:01 am

The in fact DO NOT stick the scholarship kids together. The sections are determined randomly, spreading scholarship kids pretty much evenly throughout the sections. One thing I didnt like was how large the sections and classes are compared to other schools. Some classes are over 100 kids. There are 8 sections with roughly 50 people in each.

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 pm

baileyxx wrote:The in fact DO NOT stick the scholarship kids together. The sections are determined randomly, spreading scholarship kids pretty much evenly throughout the sections. One thing I didnt like was how large the sections and classes are compared to other schools. Some classes are over 100 kids. There are 8 sections with roughly 50 people in each.

I've found that that's true of all the schools I've visited, even the tiny ones! All sections are around 50 kids but the smaller schools only have 2 or 3 sections instead of 8. And they all still get grouped together for the big classes and broken down to groups of 12-18 for legal writing (and I think that was true of Miami too). I've visited about six schools, and all had sections of around 50. But, it could just be a coincidence. Maybe other schools I haven't visited aren't like that at all! Just my 2 cents.

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:28 pm

The only thing that I found discouraging was that for most of the 1L courses, they put two sections together...I didn't find that at other schools which capped the class at/around 50 people. Instead of the 100 people that will be in a course in Miami. True?

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm hoping to get off the hold list soon (low gpa, but solid 160 with nice LORs and a good LOCI IMO showing them they're my #1). I would love to get in and go down to visit soon!

Eliza

Postby Eliza » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:19 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm hoping to get off the hold list soon (low gpa, but solid 160 with nice LORs and a good LOCI IMO showing them they're my #1). I would love to get in and go down to visit soon!

I'm on the hold list too...and I am sooo anxious waiting to hear back, especially since the ASD already occured and one hold canidate said they received an acceptance earlier this week...

I already sent an LOCI in---i don't have any mega updates--but i didn't know at the time that it was approporiate to inform a school that they are your number one choice--would it be acceptable to send a 2nd LOCI...?

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 pm

Eliza wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm hoping to get off the hold list soon (low gpa, but solid 160 with nice LORs and a good LOCI IMO showing them they're my #1). I would love to get in and go down to visit soon!

I'm on the hold list too...and I am sooo anxious waiting to hear back, especially since the ASD already occured and one hold canidate said they received an acceptance earlier this week...

I already sent an LOCI in---i don't have any mega updates--but i didn't know at the time that it was approporiate to inform a school that they are your number one choice--would it be acceptable to send a 2nd LOCI...?

I wouldn't send a second one. Maybe get another LOR?

There will be movement from the WL after April 15th (the deposit deadline). There are going to be a lot of cost-conscious people that do not attend Miami. I know the wait is killing you guys, but I think you'll be in in just a few weeks!

baileyxx wrote:The only thing that I found discouraging was that for most of the 1L courses, they put two sections together...I didn't find that at other schools which capped the class at/around 50 people. Instead of the 100 people that will be in a course in Miami. True?

Hhhm, not sure. I know that some of the sections were put together at the other schools (meaning all first years took some seminar class), but I'm not sure if it was most classes or just one. I don't mind that though, because it sounds like the professors are available if need be. And you're less likely to be called on. haha

Maybe I should stop posting my opinion. I'm totally for-Miami and completely biased. haha

jkswisconsin

Postby jkswisconsin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 pm

I was also visiting this weekend, and I have to agree with everything that was already said. I was most impressed by the faculty at the school. In particular, the Professor who runs the tax law program was great. The other students visiting for ASD were all friendly. It definitely does not seem like a difficult place to make great friends. The undergrad campus is very nice as well. Coral Gables is expensive, but the condos/apartments are very nice (at least from what I saw). I was so impressed with the school that I'm sending my deposit in this week. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. Good luck to everyone!

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:57 pm

I loved ASW and it relieved me of many of my fears. The debt is crushing though.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”