Penn Amitted Students Weekend Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
benh2os

New

Re: Penn Amitted Students Weekend

Post by benh2os » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:55 pm

After this weekend, I'm sending in my Deposit!!

blueox

New

Post by blueox » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:21 pm

I drove down today from NY, showed up at 1pm, and left at 430pm. I was impressed with the people on the clerkship panel. The housing panel was kind of useless. It would have been nice if they had a big map of the city and showed us what the costs were in different areas. As for admits, It looked like there were more than a few people who weren't going straight out of undergrad, which was nice. I don't want to feel like old man winter for three years. I wish I had been there Friday for the other stuff. At least I got my free t-shirt.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:37 pm

I haven't gotten a chance to see any other ASWs, but how do you guys think it compared? I heard Michigan's was really awesome/better than Penn's... idk.

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 pm

kurla88 wrote:I haven't gotten a chance to see any other ASWs, but how do you guys think it compared? I heard Michigan's was really awesome/better than Penn's... idk.
i heard the same. i have really enjoyed this weekend and i'm in love with the academic opportunities and i LOVE PHILLY. I'm going to Michigan next weekend so that should be the test.

btw, i couldn't tell who is a TLS person. Anything you guys did that stands out?

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 pm

kurla88 wrote:I haven't gotten a chance to see any other ASWs, but how do you guys think it compared? I heard Michigan's was really awesome/better than Penn's... idk.
In what ways was Michigan's better, did they say?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:46 pm

huckabees: The dude I talked to about Michigan said he liked how Michigan really got their faculty involved, lots of dinners and panels with them and what not, he was also more impressed with the law classes (2) there, and generally got a great friendly vibe (although found Penn v friendly too).

tcortez: You first. :P

tcortez

New

Post by tcortez » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:55 pm

kurla88 wrote:huckabees: The dude I talked to about Michigan said he liked how Michigan really got their faculty involved, lots of dinners and panels with them and what not, he was also more impressed with the law classes (2) there, and generally got a great friendly vibe (although found Penn v friendly too).

tcortez: You first. :P
I wonder if we talked to the same person. I heard the same thing. hmmmm

i am in TFA...thats my hint. now you. 8)

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:13 am

I was one of the few straight out of undergrad. :P

YoungTwerk

New

Post by YoungTwerk » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:52 pm

I wore a plaid flannel shirt on Friday.
I wore a white and gray striped T-shirt on Saturday.
Depending upon individual definitions of "too much," I may or may not have drank too much during Friday evening's activities.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

packergirl13

New

Post by packergirl13 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:03 pm

Not sure if I'm headed there at all, but I did get the chance to sit with the Dean at Friday's lunch, and he is the most friendly, willing to interact with lowly 0Ls, genuinely funny person! Props to Penn just for snagging him.

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:44 pm

I thought the weekend was alright. Not a lot of admitted students showed up for Saturday evening's reception.

So, anyone want to start talking shit? Did you meet someone annoying, condescending, or obnoxious? Post about them now behind the comfort of internet anonymity!

ScarletHammer88

New

Post by ScarletHammer88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Did anyone attend the cross disciplinary panel. I did not get the chance to and kind of regret it. I am interested in learning more about the 3 year program with Wharton.

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:03 pm

ScarletHammer88 wrote:Did anyone attend the cross disciplinary panel. I did not get the chance to and kind of regret it. I am interested in learning more about the 3 year program with Wharton.
I did not, but I think there might have been some detailed info in our Penn Portfolios. A little brochure or something?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Judicial

New

Post by Judicial » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:07 pm

A few impressions from the weekend:

- The Penn students that I met seemed like great people and all had good things to say about the law school.

- The admitted students were equally great.

- Penn's growing focus on clerkships was impressive.

- For the most part, the facilities were nice, save the graduate housing, but there seems to be a lot of affordable options for off-campus housing.

- The area of Philadelphia where the school in located is very safe and is walking distance from center city, where there is a lot to do.

- The professors and administrators that I had a chance to talk to were all very accessible and they all seemed committed to the success of the students.

- Overall, I had an excellent time at Penn and I know I'll be happy there if that's where I end up.
Last edited by Judicial on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:17 pm

I remembered something specific that I liked, other than the students, etc (which were awesome!). They mentioned how the physical layout of the law school lent itself to creating a friendly culture where students, professors, and administrators know each other. The little rectangle means that you are all seeing each other in the hallways often and saying hi. I am seriously considering other schools where this is not the case, and I think that it was good for Penn to point this out.

Also, a bad thing: LRAP description. I have no idea how it works. An algorithm?

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:49 pm

darkarmour wrote:I thought the weekend was alright. Not a lot of admitted students showed up for Saturday evening's reception.

So, anyone want to start talking shit? Did you meet someone annoying, condescending, or obnoxious? Post about them now behind the comfort of internet anonymity!
Yes, and then I realize that one of the people I'm posting about is on TLS!

Just in general though, I am a bit worried about everyone being rich kids... I met a whole lot of people who went to impressive private schools. Most people seemed to be from the East Coast or California. Everyone was talking about how "affordable" housing is. Sure, compared to NYC or LA! I am amazed by how many people are able to afford Center City as law students living on loans. Not sure if they are just spending unwisely or have some random stash of money...

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:05 pm

kurla88 wrote:
darkarmour wrote:I thought the weekend was alright. Not a lot of admitted students showed up for Saturday evening's reception.

Yes, and then I realize that one of the people I'm posting about is on TLS!

Just in general though, I am a bit worried about everyone being rich kids... I met a whole lot of people who went to impressive private schools. Most people seemed to be from the East Coast or California. Everyone was talking about how "affordable" housing is. Sure, compared to NYC or LA! I am amazed by how many people are able to afford Center City as law students living on loans. Not sure if they are just spending unwisely or have some random stash of money...
Definitely not a "rich kid" here. In-state public school go-er. I actually asked my host about snobbery because of the Ivy league thing, and she said no way. I do not know her perspective, but that is all the info I got. I can say that I definitely did not get that vibe from many of the current or admitted students that I met. Maybe one or two admits, haha. But everyone was really cool overall.

As far as housing, did you go to that panel? One guy said he lives in West Philly for $850...split between 2 people. Holy crap. However, the rest of the people that live in Center City or University City were talking about 2 bedrooms being shared for like $1600-$2000 or so, I think. And they said you can find even cheaper stuff on Craigslist. That is pretty good, I think. And if people are comparing Penn to NYU, that is GOOD. You even get decent sizes for that money!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 pm

In-state public school attendee here, too. I met a spectrum of people that ranged from pull-yourself-up-by-the-bootstrap types to a pretentious, obnoxious Princeton grad. But hey, coming from Princeton, Penn must practically be a state school.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:15 pm

southernlady wrote:Definitely not a "rich kid" here. In-state public school go-er. I actually asked my host about snobbery because of the Ivy league thing, and she said no way. I do not know her perspective, but that is all the info I got. I can say that I definitely did not get that vibe from many of the current or admitted students that I met. Maybe one or two admits, haha. But everyone was really cool overall.
Ooh, good to know. Yeah, I did not get a bad vibe from anyone even if they were "rich" but I just worry about being out of place/not having the money to go out with new friends.
southernlady wrote:As far as housing, did you go to that panel? One guy said he lives in West Philly for $850...split between 2 people. Holy crap. However, the rest of the people that live in Center City or University City were talking about 2 bedrooms being shared for like $1600-$2000 or so, I think. And they said you can find even cheaper stuff on Craigslist. That is pretty good, I think. And if people are comparing Penn to NYU, that is GOOD. You even get decent sizes for that money!
I was indeed at that panel... weird to think about us TLSers being there together but anonymously... :O

Yeah, $850 for two is pretty damn awesome, even where I'm from, but I don't have anyone I could ask about the "street by street" situation in West Philly, and I'd rather not risk the less safe neighborhood. I think I will aim for one of the less expensive University/Center City places. Will probably still end up paying $900+ which I think is a lot, but I'll suck it up for the safety/location.

Will definitely need to go spend a week or so there after I graduate and really hunt down the elusive good deals, though!

southernlady

New

Post by southernlady » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:48 pm

kurla88 wrote: I don't have anyone I could ask about the "street by street" situation in West Philly, and I'd rather not risk the less safe neighborhood.
You could email the admissions office and ask them to give you the contact info of a current student who is a native of Philly and can help with house hunting. I am sure they would do that, and then you can weigh all your options better.

Also, they mentioned the Facebook group. You can join and ask people about stuff like that.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:56 pm

southernlady wrote:
kurla88 wrote: I don't have anyone I could ask about the "street by street" situation in West Philly, and I'd rather not risk the less safe neighborhood.
You could email the admissions office and ask them to give you the contact info of a current student who is a native of Philly and can help with house hunting. I am sure they would do that, and then you can weigh all your options better.

Also, they mentioned the Facebook group. You can join and ask people about stuff like that.
That is a good idea. I may try that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mitch

New

Post by mitch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:37 pm

I had a great time, especially seeing Dean Post. I have a friend who is trying to get in, and he wants to send a goat. :)

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:48 pm

I was more impressed with Philadelphia and University City than I had expected. Overall, it seemed safe with good restaurants, etc. I will probably send in my deposit soon.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:55 pm

anyone have any pictures of the school to post?

jacktripper

New

Post by jacktripper » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:00 pm

I was expecting Philly to be a lot worse, but it is actually not that bad. It seems a lot safer than some people made it seem. I liked the campus and the weather wasn't bad.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”