About to dye my hair pink?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Stylnator

About to dye my hair pink?

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:56 pm

I'll be attending an ASW for scholarship interviews on the 24th and maybe one on the 1st of next month. Do you think it will reflect poorly?

I have long hair and it would be one long vertical strip at the back of my head on the bottom layer (neon pink).
Last edited by Stylnator on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkinKansasCity
#MAGA

Re: About to dye my hair pink?

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Stylnator wrote:I'll be attending an ASW on the 24th and maybe one on the 1st of next month. Do you think it will reflect poorly?

I have long hair and it would be one long vertical strip at the back of my head on the bottom layer (neon pink).

They'll factor this in the same way they factor in other softs.

floatie

Postby floatie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Well, you've already been accepted so I can't see how it will matter that much. If you're overly concerned about it, just wait another 3 weeks until after your last ASD

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm

floatie wrote:Well, you've already been accepted so I can't see how it will matter that much. If you're overly concerned about it, just wait another 3 weeks until after your last ASD

Sorry I should've been clearer, these ASW are also scholarship interviews for the schools.

floatie

Postby floatie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Stylnator wrote:
floatie wrote:Well, you've already been accepted so I can't see how it will matter that much. If you're overly concerned about it, just wait another 3 weeks until after your last ASD

Sorry I should've been clearer, these ASW are also scholarship interviews for the schools.

Oh. In that case personally I would wait until afterwards.

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:16 pm

floatie wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

Yeah, I'd wait.

Not gonna lie. Haven't seen any fun-colored hair on any of my LS visits. It's sad, really.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 pm

brinicolec wrote:
floatie wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

Yeah, I'd wait.

Not gonna lie. Haven't seen any fun-colored hair on any of my LS visits. It's sad, really.

Yeah I pretty much knew I should wait but I just wanted to get an idea of how bad I could come off but I guess no risk at all is better than even a small risk.

Maybe you'll see some fun colored hair once school starts! My classmates certainly will :D

brinicolec

Postby brinicolec » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Stylnator wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
floatie wrote:
Stylnator wrote:

Yeah, I'd wait.

Yeah I pretty much knew I should wait but I just wanted to get an idea of how bad I could come off but I guess no risk at all is better than even a small risk.

Maybe you'll see some fun colored hair once school starts! My classmates certainly will :D

Lol, I like to wear wigs/weave and stuff, so I'll probably get some pink going eventually as well.

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Blue haired girl here says slaaayyy with the pink

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm so happy that there are other TLSers who are into colored hair!! The legal world isn't exactly known for liberal fashion so it's refreshing to see

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Stylnator wrote:I'm so happy that there are other TLSers who are into colored hair!! The legal world isn't exactly known for liberal fashion so it's refreshing to see

Lol yes! Might come off the wrong way, but here's my thought process: I am intelligent, have some interesting experiences under my belt, and would be a valuable addition to schools/jobs. Any school/job that can't see that past my blue hair is missing out and is probably not a place I wanted to end up at anyway.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:04 pm

chandhi wrote:
Stylnator wrote:I'm so happy that there are other TLSers who are into colored hair!! The legal world isn't exactly known for liberal fashion so it's refreshing to see

Lol yes! Might come off the wrong way, but here's my thought process: I am intelligent, have some interesting experiences under my belt, and would be a valuable addition to schools/jobs. Any school/job that can't see that past my blue hair is missing out and is probably not a place I wanted to end up at anyway.

see now a part of me is secretly hoping you'll go to a more conservative school just to show everyone up w/awesome blue hair

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:10 pm

Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:

see now a part of me is secretly hoping you'll go to a more conservative school just to show everyone up w/awesome blue hair

Interviewed this morning for U of Chicago, so we'll see! My interviewer made no comments on the blue hair, if you were wondering haha

Npret

Postby Npret » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:25 pm

Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:

You might feel differently when you are trying to find a job. Don't do this now. It won't help you get a scholarship and that is your goal.
Sorry.

chandhi

Postby chandhi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Npret wrote:You might feel differently when you are trying to find a job. Don't do this now. It won't help you get a scholarship and that is your goal.
Sorry.

Yeah it is different for scholarships since you won't ever have to spend time with the people who decide your fate haha.

Stylnator

Postby Stylnator » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:46 pm

chandhi wrote:
Npret wrote:You might feel differently when you are trying to find a job. Don't do this now. It won't help you get a scholarship and that is your goal.
Sorry.

Yeah it is different for scholarships since you won't ever have to spend time with the people who decide your fate haha.

Yes I think I'll wait. It's just annoying b/c everytime I wanted to have it done it's gotten held up for something like this.

Thanks for the advice!

TakeItToTrial

Postby TakeItToTrial » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:50 pm

As a guy, I wont even grow my hair out for fear of looking un-lawyerly. Odds are people won't care, but I think the question you should ask yourself is whether dyeing your hair (or altering your appearance in other non-traditional ways) is worth enough to you to outweigh the potential negative impact on others' perception of you.

If it is, more power to you. You will probably be fine, and you will help modernize the profession's sense of what is stylistically acceptable.

Npret

Postby Npret » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Stylnator wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Sorry.

Yes I think I'll wait. It's just annoying b/c everytime I wanted to have it done it's gotten held up for something like this.

Thanks for the advice!

Do it when you get back.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”