I walked through YLS today (photos) Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
bmathers

Silver

I walked through YLS today (photos)

Post by bmathers » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:45 pm

That is one impressive building to walk through. I took a few photos while at it:

Corridor:

Study Room:

Classroom:

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Re: I walked through YLS today (photos)

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:46 pm

nice! thanks dude!

You applying this cycle?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:nice! thanks dude!

You applying this cycle?
No problem.

Nah, I have nowhere near the numbers needed for Yale. It's just right off the highway on the drive from my parent's house to my home in New England, so I made the pit stop today (I talked to security and they let me in the building). Best of luck - that whole campus is beautiful, I spent about an hour walking around it today.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Here's one of the exterior:

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:06 pm

Nice pictures. The school is basically Hogwarts (though Michigan can definitely make a very strong argument there). Unfortunately, it looks like you missed the reading room (It's the room off to the left of the second photo). That's my favorite room, where paintings of all the famous alumni are located (you only get your portrait in there if you become dean, president, or SCOTUS).

Oh, and just so everyone knows, that's the student lounge, not the study room. Some people study there, but it's primarily a place for students to hang out and talk or watch TV. Most importantly though, are those tables you see in the front of the photo. The school has a ton of speaking events (probably 3-5 a day) and they always have food left over. The student groups will take the leftovers to those tables, so they are almost always filled with various Indian, Thai, or Italian food, as well as drinks and cookies/donuts from the new donut shop.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:12 am

Yale is definitely the better school, no question. But Michigan is a far superior looking school if you like this style of architecture.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:43 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:Nice pictures. The school is basically Hogwarts (though Michigan can definitely make a very strong argument there). Unfortunately, it looks like you missed the reading room (It's the room off to the left of the second photo). That's my favorite room, where paintings of all the famous alumni are located (you only get your portrait in there if you become dean, president, or SCOTUS).

Oh, and just so everyone knows, that's the student lounge, not the study room. Some people study there, but it's primarily a place for students to hang out and talk or watch TV. Most importantly though, are those tables you see in the front of the photo. The school has a ton of speaking events (probably 3-5 a day) and they always have food left over. The student groups will take the leftovers to those tables, so they are almost always filled with various Indian, Thai, or Italian food, as well as drinks and cookies/donuts from the new donut shop.
Thanks dude. Maybe I will stop by again and check out that room on my way back after Christmas.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:14 pm

bmathers wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:Nice pictures. The school is basically Hogwarts (though Michigan can definitely make a very strong argument there). Unfortunately, it looks like you missed the reading room (It's the room off to the left of the second photo). That's my favorite room, where paintings of all the famous alumni are located (you only get your portrait in there if you become dean, president, or SCOTUS).

Thanks dude. Maybe I will stop by again and check out that room on my way back after Christmas.
You definitely should. And I wouldn't worry about the security, they're super nice, and I've never been carded by anyone at the school. Also, if anyone is interested, I could always take some photos of some other areas at the school that I think are worth checking out.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:07 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
bmathers wrote:

You definitely should. And I wouldn't worry about the security, they're super nice, and I've never been carded by anyone at the school. Also, if anyone is interested, I could always take some photos of some other areas at the school that I think are worth checking out.

I'd love to see some pics of other places! :D Thank you!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:25 pm

2/10 No lazy river, would not attend

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:04 pm

heythatslife wrote:2/10 No lazy river, would not attend
In all seriousness, someone should make a water park that is exclusively a single lazy river with various float up bars.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:45 pm

heythatslife wrote:2/10 No lazy river, would not attend
You make a good point. It's really despicable that our administration makes us walk instead of floating on a lazy river from class to class. Damn Post, treating us like the plebeians over there in Cambridge. His successor better rectify this immediately.

And O'Drama, okay, I'll take more photos, probably Monday but I might walk over there tomorrow.

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Awesome. The only part of the school that I have been in was their gym. I've been on their campus a few times for gigs (typically ROTC related), and the area def had a great vibe. If I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting into their program, I'd try to tack on a campus tour to a gig day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Did you coordinate your prestigious law school visit outfit with your friend Tiffany?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:25 am

Rory should have gone to law school.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:40 am

Not trying to be biased, but you know what that looks like? A law school. Weird conflagration between the amenities and the prestige.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:25 pm

zot1 wrote:Rory should have gone to law school.
If only so we could have gotten an LSAT score for her.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
zot1 wrote:Rory should have gone to law school.
If only so we could have gotten an LSAT score for her.
She seems like a 173 kind of girl...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:25 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Not trying to be biased, but you know what that looks like? A law school. Weird conflagration between the amenities and the prestige.
Just talking overall feel of the campus... I've walked through UVA and Yale. The difference is stark. One is Hogwarts. The other is less impressive than some of its peer schools (penn/duke/mich).
Perfectly fair. I guess the differences I noticed when visiting the peers you're talking about is that it really didn't matter to me. But YMMV in that sort of thing mattering. I still don't think this sort of thing really matters in the least, but to others it might, so I won't be the crotchety naysayer. Enjoy 8) .

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:54 pm

I was struck with the Hogwarts impression when I visited.
Every other T14 : "look at our modern wired classrooms and brand new state of the art facilities"
Yale: "Here's a 200 year old table, some 50 year old chairs, and a chalkboard, they've worked well so far..."

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:52 pm

That Architecture is just beautiful and the layout

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 pm

I love the gothic style architecture, but TBH that study room reminds me of the rectory at my old Catholic grade school LOL.

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 pm

It's in New Haven you know...and it's one building for 3 years. It is the best law school for sure, but nowhere near the best physical plant. There is Frank Pepe pizza... yum...and Louis' Lunch... the home of the first hamburger. But it's in New Haven you know.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:09 pm

Yale is in a totally separate category, but here is another school around the same age as Yale Law. Pretty classic-looking LS (PSU-Dickinson Law), 5th oldest law school in the nation - very modernized and techy inside though, although they do have a human skin Bible in their rare books collection (as does Harvard):

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:54 pm

bmathers wrote:Yale is in a totally separate category, but here is another school around the same age as Yale Law. Pretty classic-looking LS (PSU-Dickinson Law), 5th oldest law school in the nation - very modernized and techy inside though, although they do have a human skin Bible in their rare books collection (as does Harvard):

That looks quite neat, actually.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”