January visits Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
kpadoreo

New

January visits

Post by kpadoreo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:33 am

Hey all,

I am applying for Fall 2017, however, as I am currently living in Germany, the earliest I will be able to visit schools will be in January. I understand that visiting gives a good impression and shows that you are invested/ have a real interest in attending the school, however I want to know if this still counts if it's that late in the admissions season. As I am writing the December LSAT, my applications won't go out until early January anyway, so maybe this means it doesn't make a difference?
The schools I am applying for are all T-14s...

PDX4343

Silver

Re: January visits

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:44 pm

I don't think visiting / not visiting any particular law school will tip your admissions chances with them too much one way or the other. If you're concerned about getting whatever marginal benefit you might have gained by visiting the school, you could just write a "Why X" statement for each place. I think that would have a similar effect.

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:54 am

Agree with PDX4343.

I'd just say that, IMO, the main benefit of visiting would be to see whether it is somewhere you can picture yourself for three years. I think that, if talking about schools in the same band of ranking with similar scholarships and opportunities upon graduation, quality of life is important. Three years is a lot of time, so you should try to go where you enjoy it. Fortunately, a good number of T14s are actually quite close Duke->UVA->Georgetown->Penn->NYU->Columbia is maybe 12 hours of driving (?I imagine provided Raleigh-Durham isn't farther west than I recall). Tack on another 5-6 hours of driving for either Cornell or Harvard/Yale.

birdy01

New

Post by birdy01 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:41 am

I live in Europe as well and I'm only planning on visiting the schools I get into - probably January or February. I've already been accepted to a few schools sight-unseen. For those that required a Why X statement, I spoke to some current students about their experiences and gathered information that way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”