When to visit schools? Pre-applying or post-acceptance? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
brinicolec

Gold

When to visit schools? Pre-applying or post-acceptance?

Post by brinicolec » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:01 pm

As much as I'd love to drive around the US for a couple weeks or so and look at schools on my list, given the widespread of locations, it's not very feasible. Also, since it's summertime, I doubt I'd get the best feel for the schools.

Did you all (who have already applied/decided) find it most beneficial to visit campuses before applying or when trying to decide which school to choose after being accepted to some schools?

bmathers

Silver

Re: When to visit schools? Pre-applying or post-acceptance?

Post by bmathers » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:19 am

Definitely wait until after being accepted - some will even give you a travel stipend to come and visit. Visiting isn't too integral though, look at the statistics and location compared to where you think you might practice (if you care about practicing in a specific state or location), narrow it down, and visit your finalists that you have been accepted to.

And/Or, visit schools when in the area. For example, I am going to Atlanta on business next week and was just accepted to Georgia State law. So, I arranged to spend an hour getting a tour of the GSU law building and area. I will also be in the Philly area during Thanksgiving and Christmas, and am going to try to come a few days early so that I can visit Villanova and Temple. If you have opportunities where you will be in the area, take advantage.

galadriel3019

New

Re: When to visit schools? Pre-applying or post-acceptance?

Post by galadriel3019 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:40 am

I found it more helpful visiting post acceptance because they open up the law school more for you to see, and increase the activities you are able to take part in. I found I got a better feel for the place and learned more that way. That being said, it won't be horrible if you can only visit before applying. If you like what you see you can maybe weave in to your essay you visited and X program/opportunity really interested you. And if you absolutely hate it, well there's one less application you have to do.

Return to “Law School Visits”