L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Logicmaiden
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:07 am

L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby Logicmaiden » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:16 pm

Has anyone ever attended this law school admissions events? Was it useful?

www.lawadmissionsworkshopseries.com/

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:30 am

Logicmaiden wrote:Has anyone ever attended this law school admissions events? Was it useful?

http://www.lawadmissionsworkshopseries.com/


Haven't attended before but I'm going this Tuesday so I can let you know!

Based on some other stuff I read on here, it's not necessarily the most useful thing but someone said they were able to pick up some fee waivers from the different T14 schools so that was enough to make me want to check it out lol.

Logicmaiden
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:07 am

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby Logicmaiden » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:50 am

brinicolec wrote:
Logicmaiden wrote:Has anyone ever attended this law school admissions events? Was it useful?

http://www.lawadmissionsworkshopseries.com/


Haven't attended before but I'm going this Tuesday so I can let you know!

Based on some other stuff I read on here, it's not necessarily the most useful thing but someone said they were able to pick up some fee waivers from the different T14 schools so that was enough to make me want to check it out lol.



Seems worthy to me. Thanks!! :)

User avatar
jtg21
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby jtg21 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:01 pm

I attended it last year. It's not necessarily the most useful, but I was able to pick up collateral for all the schools, and got a few helpful tips for applications from the deans. I also referenced my attendance at LAWS to solicit additional fee waivers from schools that hadn't offered them to me. It probably wasn't necessary to mention it, but I did get some fee waivers afterwards.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby brinicolec » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm

jtg21 wrote:I attended it last year. It's not necessarily the most useful, but I was able to pick up collateral for all the schools, and got a few helpful tips for applications from the deans. I also referenced my attendance at LAWS to solicit additional fee waivers from schools that hadn't offered them to me. It probably wasn't necessary to mention it, but I did get some fee waivers afterwards.


Risking asking a dumb question: What do you mean by collateral?

User avatar
jtg21
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby jtg21 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 am

brinicolec wrote:
jtg21 wrote:I attended it last year. It's not necessarily the most useful, but I was able to pick up collateral for all the schools, and got a few helpful tips for applications from the deans. I also referenced my attendance at LAWS to solicit additional fee waivers from schools that hadn't offered them to me. It probably wasn't necessary to mention it, but I did get some fee waivers afterwards.


Risking asking a dumb question: What do you mean by collateral?


No problem, I meant marketing material, etc. The brochures and other papers these use to promote the schools.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4476
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby brinicolec » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Update (since I just went): I thought it was somewhat useful. During panel discussion they talked about (this isn't a fully comprehensive list) LSAT/GPA, personal statements, financing LS (and paying attn to details of the loan repayment programs b/c some are funding federally) and negotiating scholarships (especially emphasizing that you should SERIOUSLY UNDERSTAND YOUR PACKAGE before going in to negotiate). I got a fee waiver or two, which was nice, and also a lot of the pamphlets. Also got to take to a fair amount of the admissions people for the different schools. Unfortunately, at this point in my application process, I didn't have many questions to ask about specific LSs because I'm still trying to decide which ones are realistic for me to attend, but they were all welcoming to questions and (based on my eavesdropping of people in front of me) very willing to discuss different aspects of their schools. I'm not sure how it compares to the LSAC forums they hold (and I won't be going to one to find out), but I think if you have questions about any of the specific T14 schools, it could be worth checking out.

S/n: They also said that they read the boards and sometimes connect the dots between applicants and posters :shock:

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2159
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby Hildegard15 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:51 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S/n: They also said that they read the boards and sometimes connect the dots between applicants and posters :shock:


Haha while this is definitely true I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm extremely easy to identify and my cycle went as well as I could have hoped for.

Mr. Bubbles
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:09 am

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby Mr. Bubbles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:33 pm

I am going next week. Has anyone else gone to one of these workshops in the past?
Any other insights?
Any insight to securing Fee Waivers at the workshop?

Thanks

schoolisfun
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:27 am

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby schoolisfun » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Mr. Bubbles wrote:I am going next week. Has anyone else gone to one of these workshops in the past?
Any other insights?
Any insight to securing Fee Waivers at the workshop?

Thanks


Longtime lurker but I have some insight since I see that there is one more LAWS event in September.

I thought the LAWS workshop I attended was somewhat useful. I picked up a fee waiver for one school which was cool. I didn't ask for it, they were just giving them out if you spoke with the admissions recruiter. I didn't ask for fee waivers at any other schools because I didn't see any others giving them out. If you go to the event in September you might have better luck with fee waivers.

The deans also spoke about how they evaluate personal statements, which gave me a solid base to work from. Some schools spoke about their ED policies and LRAP programs which I found interesting. The free food and refreshments was also a plus.

Be prepared for some serious brown nosing from some of the kids attending the event (It took me about 2 hours to get through the lines to talk to like 5 or 6 schools), but I found the experience generally helpful.

Perhaps the aspect I found most helpful was speaking with schools about their programs. One school in particular really turned me off, and a few others really peaked my interest.

As a side note, I live in a major metro area so it was worth the 2 hours. If you are coming from very far out of town I truly do not think it's worth the time and effort unless you're dead set on scoring some fee waivers.

Hope that helps

Mr. Bubbles
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:09 am

Re: L.A.W.S >> Has anyone attended?

Postby Mr. Bubbles » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Thanks for the info!




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest