Visit the school before decision comes out Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
clin29

New

Visit the school before decision comes out

Post by clin29 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Any input on this topic is appreciated. As a re-applicant to Fordham, I plan on visiting the adcomm some time before this weekend. I called their admission office and learned that they have a open-door policy, which requires no appointment with the adcomm nor email registration. My question is:

Should I still email Director/Associate Director of the admission office and arrange the time to meet in advance regardless of their policy? Will it be rude to just show up and request to meet the adcomm?

Thanks in advance for every advise/opinion.

gentlemanscholar

Bronze

Re: Visit the school before decision comes out

Post by gentlemanscholar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:43 pm

I don't think it would be rude to show up without notification, but it might be wise to give them a heads up that you plan to meet with them, just in case they are busy that day.

I don't know about Fordham, but at some schools the adcomm meetings are purely informational; they don't even record that you visited or give you any brownie points (sometimes this is to be fair to other applicants that don't have the means to visit in person and would otherwise be disadvantaged).

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:34 pm

not worth visiting IMO before (a) decisions come out and (b) scholarships come out. If you're not gonna end up going there whats the point

clin29

New

Post by clin29 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you all for your input. Since I'll travel abroad for a month or two and probably won't be in U.S. until early May, I figure it might worth a shot of visiting the school before decision rendered.

LSATneurotic

Silver

Post by LSATneurotic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:08 pm

clin29 wrote:Thank you all for your input. Since I'll travel abroad for a month or two and probably won't be in U.S. until early May, I figure it might worth a shot of visiting the school before decision rendered.
It's a really good way to show your commitment to the school. Make sure you wear the school's gear during your trip. For ex, if you are visiting Yale, definitely get your hands on a Yale Law snuggie and show up in the admissions office. #presumptiveadmit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”