ASW Drinking

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
kj2314

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

ASW Drinking

Postby kj2314 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a law school applicant this year, and I am 20-years-old. I'll be 21 by the time law school starts, but I'll still be 20 when ASWs/ASDs happen. What will these experiences be like for me? I've heard that there's a lot of alcohol at most of the events, so I'm afraid it might be awkward. I imagine I could pretty easily just not go to events at actual bars (or take along my "novelty"), but they're not going to single me out as someone not to serve at catered, open bar type events right? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
glitter178

Silver
Posts: 773
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby glitter178 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I mean, they're not going to put an "under 21" wristband on you. Just order a Perrier and get on with it

Caesar Salad

Diamond
Posts: 16100
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Caesar Salad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:36 pm

There was a girl at one of my accepted student events who was under 21 and drank at the bar. When they handed out wrist bands they did not check ids.

User avatar
Attax

Gold
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Attax » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I only had 1 ASW event check IDs but that was because it was bar review. All others, including orientation events, I had no IDing.

That being said, don't be the awkward kid who touts about being underage all the time. It gets annoying.

User avatar
phillywc

Gold
Posts: 3449
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby phillywc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:40 pm

Don't apply this year. Take time off to work and shit in between.

User avatar
ms9

Gold
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby ms9 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:05 pm

kj2314 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a law school applicant this year, and I am 20-years-old. I'll be 21 by the time law school starts, but I'll still be 20 when ASWs/ASDs happen. What will these experiences be like for me? I've heard that there's a lot of alcohol at most of the events, so I'm afraid it might be awkward. I imagine I could pretty easily just not go to events at actual bars (or take along my "novelty"), but they're not going to single me out as someone not to serve at catered, open bar type events right? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks in advance!


Just don't get wasted perpetually. I have seen that go really south for people -- 21 + or not

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:40 pm

phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.



good luck with c&f

User avatar
gnomgnomuch

Silver
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:46 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.



good luck with c&f



LOL. Because C&F will prevent you from becoming a lawyer because you drank before you were legal. Common, that's just asinine.

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:48 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.



good luck with c&f



LOL. Because C&F will prevent you from becoming a lawyer because you drank before you were legal. Common, that's just asinine.



it shows a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of being an officer of the court

User avatar
gnomgnomuch

Silver
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:57 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.



good luck with c&f



LOL. Because C&F will prevent you from becoming a lawyer because you drank before you were legal. Common, that's just asinine.



it shows a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of being an officer of the court


Having a beer with your potential future classmates when you're 20 rather than 21 does not show a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of the court.

He's not going around shoving vodka bottles into the hands of 15 year old's.

User avatar
midwest17

Gold
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby midwest17 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:10 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
phillywc wrote:Was 20 at asws and other events. Drank at everything, including bar review. The school will never id. Just dont mention your age and act like you've been there.



good luck with c&f



LOL. Because C&F will prevent you from becoming a lawyer because you drank before you were legal. Common, that's just asinine.



it shows a calculated disregard for character and upholding the responsibilities of being an officer of the court


You sound fun.

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:12 pm

i'm just showing the law some respect

User avatar
phillywc

Gold
Posts: 3449
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby phillywc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Holy fuck bro

Caesar Salad

Diamond
Posts: 16100
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Caesar Salad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:28 pm

phillywc wrote:Holy fuck bro


Underage drinking is bad, m'kay!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:43 pm

he's just trolling, everyone calm down.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum
Posts: 5414
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 am

dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

Mal Reynolds

Diamond
Posts: 12620
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

mephistopheles wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:how do you define love, fisto?

and why don't you date?



how do i define love? uhhh, i've always viewed it as a companionship relationship accompanied by sexual attraction. do i believe in "true love"? no, i think it's more arbitrary and based almost entirely on context and circumstances, more who you meet and when than any objective understanding

and i don't date because i have this weird thing where i'm paralyzed at the thought of putting women in uncomfortable positions, which is debilitating. i also have this tendency to turn most of my memories (overwhelming majority) into bad memories where i hyperfocus on small awkward moments, regardless of the experience of others. i've long since just given up on the notion.

User avatar
Georgiana

Silver
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Georgiana » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:02 am

I was 20 when I went to ASWs and one school actually did have an indicator on the name tag (blue dot or something) so that the bartenders would know not to serve me alcohol at the reception held in the school for their own liability purposes. It wasn't awkward, just something I thought I'd note since everyone seems to think it isn't even possible that a school would do that.

User avatar
UnderTheLaw

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby UnderTheLaw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

NYCFAN1

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:00 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby NYCFAN1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont go to law school if youre 20 years old


this

Moneytrees

Silver
Posts: 791
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby Moneytrees » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 pm

UnderTheLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

User avatar
LSATneurotic

Silver
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby LSATneurotic » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
UnderTheLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

What if you are wise beyond your years?

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby TLSModBot » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:19 pm

LSATneurotic wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:
UnderTheLaw wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:dont go to law school if youre 20 years old

Whatif you are wise beyond your years if you are intellectually 'special' such that no additional years will help you?


FTFY

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: ASW Drinking

Postby zhenders » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
kj2314 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a law school applicant this year, and I am 20-years-old. I'll be 21 by the time law school starts, but I'll still be 20 when ASWs/ASDs happen. What will these experiences be like for me? I've heard that there's a lot of alcohol at most of the events, so I'm afraid it might be awkward. I imagine I could pretty easily just not go to events at actual bars (or take along my "novelty"), but they're not going to single me out as someone not to serve at catered, open bar type events right? Has anyone gone through this?

Thanks in advance!


Just don't get wasted perpetually. I have seen that go really south for people -- 21 + or not


I was at a local law school (big state school, midwest) for business this afternoon, and it was their ASW; got on the elevator with some guy who was literally steadying himself with both hands flat against the wall as though he was undergoing a pat-down and couldn't decide whether to throw up on his shoes or not; he smelled so bad that I had to bail to a random floor. All I could think was, "his entire 1L year, he's gonna be that guy."

ETA: This was at noon.



Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest