Interview/Visit Question Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Finnick

New

Interview/Visit Question

Post by Finnick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:06 am

So I've been debating about whether or not to visit my top choice. I've been app complete since December 2nd and haven't heard anything back yet. My parents (without my knowledge) spoke with the dean of admissions yesterday about my application and whether or not it would help my chances to go visit. They were really nice, and said that it wouldn't hurt..and he gave my dad his direct phone number for me to call. If I call, I think it could easily turn into a little interview..and that would be a nice opportunity. However, I think my parents calling makes me look extraordinarily immature and irresponsible. And I'm thinking identifying myself (my parents didn't give them my name) would be a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Iroh

Bronze

Re: Interview/Visit Question

Post by Iroh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:29 pm

It's hard to say, because different schools have different expectations as to the level of parental involvement in the application/decision process. Not to sound elitist, but it seems that higher-ranked schools expect less parental involvement than lower-ranked schools. At the two T14s I visited on ASW, exactly one student brought a parent. I didn't think less of her for doing so (you're allowed to bring guests, after all), but it was kind of awkward and I felt bad for her, because I think she expected there to be many more parents and she probably felt out of place.

Are you K-JD? If so, that is probably going to hurt. But if you're working and living on your own, I don't think it would be as much of a problem. Also, you really need your parents to stop contacting deans on your behalf. It looks really weird.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Interview/Visit Question

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:32 pm

You could say something during your interview/visit to distance yourself from your helicopter parents like "I was getting ready to contact you when my parents told me they already had. It came as quite a surprise to me and I apologize for their forwardness, but I am glad to get this opportunity to meet with you."

Return to “Law School Visits”