UCLA/USC ASW Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
omzster67

Bronze

UCLA/USC ASW

Post by omzster67 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 pm

USC & UCLA will be hosting ASW's around the weekend of March 7 (USC 3/7 & UCLA 3/10). I've never been to LA before but I'll be traveling alone. Does anyone have some good suggestions as to how to really explore LA for those few days? Thanks in advance!

BenjarvusGreenEllis

New

Re: UCLA/USC ASW

Post by BenjarvusGreenEllis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:16 pm

omzster67 wrote:USC & UCLA will be hosting ASW's around the weekend of March 7 (USC 3/7 & UCLA 3/10). I've never been to LA before but I'll be traveling alone. Does anyone have some good suggestions as to how to really explore LA for those few days? Thanks in advance!
Born, raised, and reside in LA... Make sure to rent a car. It depends what type of things you want to see. UCLA is closer to the beach and shopping, USC is closer to downtown. Our downtown is pretty weak but still might be worth exploring since you've never been.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Yes, definitely get access to a car. The food scene is great!

ClericalError

New

Post by ClericalError » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 pm

+1 on the car. Also, check out UCLA's list of nearby hotels and motels. Traffic is a nightmare on the westside in the morning, so checking into a nearby hotel is a good idea. The link to the list is: http://map.ais.ucla.edu/portal/site/UCL ... 8443a4RCRD

Although I haven't been to any of them, especially check out Claremont Hotel, which is the cheapest and also the closest to UCLA.

ClericalError

New

Post by ClericalError » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 pm

So on another topic related to UCLA's ASD, I was really impressed with the selection of classes we can sit in on in the morning/early afternoon (before the main program starts). With most schools I visited, the only classes you can sit in on are 1L classes. Here, you get a lot of elective 2L and 3L classes to choose from also. I'm way psyched for that, cuz I think you get a better flavor of what the ajority of your law school experience will be that way, especially if you are looking to get into the subject areas of these classes, like entertainment, real estate, finance, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:07 pm

<----- 24 year old driver... The under 25 fee doubles my rental rate <sigh>.

Is it at all possible to get around without a rental car?

EDIT: Also a zipcar member. Don't know how I could make that work easily for my purposes, though...

ClericalError

New

Post by ClericalError » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:11 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:<----- 24 year old driver... The under 25 fee doubles my rental rate <sigh>.

EDIT: Also a zipcar member. Don't know how I could make that work easily for my purposes, though...

I think you should try this site which allows you to plan your trip using buses/trains/the subway, and just see if it's doable without a car:

http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

But if that is not convenient, then I would bite the bullet and pay the extra dough. You'd be spending that money on cabs otherwise.

Don't know much about zipcar, but it just sounds like something UCLA would participate in; maybe check the zipcar site and see if there's a station on or near campus. Another resource is the admitted students page on FB, you can ask the group if there are other suggestions. And if you pm me your arrival/trip details I can maybe provide more specific help.

Are you coming to the March 10 ASD?

BenjarvusGreenEllis

New

Post by BenjarvusGreenEllis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:28 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:<----- 24 year old driver... The under 25 fee doubles my rental rate <sigh>.

There is a zip car on the corner of roebling and levering right around the corner from UCLA. My apartment was across the street. It's possible but I once took a bus from UCLA to downtown and it took an hour. I'm not sure how zip car works but that is an option around UCLA for sure.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

ClericalError wrote:

I think you should try this site which allows you to plan your trip using buses/trains/the subway, and just see if it's doable without a car:

http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

But if that is not convenient, then I would bite the bullet and pay the extra dough. You'd be spending that money on cabs otherwise.

Don't know much about zipcar, but it just sounds like something UCLA would participate in; maybe check the zipcar site and see if there's a station on or near campus. Another resource is the admitted students page on FB, you can ask the group if there are other suggestions. And if you pm me your arrival/trip details I can maybe provide more specific help.

Are you coming to the March 10 ASD?
Yep! I'll be there on the 10th. I think I might just have to bite the bullet. Zipcars are hourly, and I would need to find one in WeHo where I'll be staying. And then I would have to pay hourly (zipcar does cover gas though). I've heard so many LA public transit horror stories, I think the car is starting to sound like the best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Also, just got the email about admission to the Entertainment Law symposium.

ON IT.

patentpending

New

Post by patentpending » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Car: Zipcar has several spots on/near UCLA, but you need to reserve in advance.
Air: LAX can be a nightmare, especially if you need a rental car at the airport. So check rates into Burbank, as well.
Shuttle: Flyaway shuttle to UCLA/Westwood is only $10. You can't beat that. http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4698 Then walk to your hotel/zipcar.
Hotel: UCLA Guest House is across the street from the law school. No state sales tax/hotel tax because its university-owned. Free parking & breakfast. As an admitted student, you qualify to use it.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:27 pm

patentpending wrote:Car: Zipcar has several spots on/near UCLA, but you need to reserve in advance.
Air: LAX can be a nightmare, especially if you need a rental car at the airport. So check rates into Burbank, as well.
Shuttle: Flyaway shuttle to UCLA/Westwood is only $10. You can't beat that. http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=4698 Then walk to your hotel/zipcar.
Hotel: UCLA Guest House is across the street from the law school. No state sales tax/hotel tax because its university-owned. Free parking & breakfast. As an admitted student, you qualify to use it.

You are amazing!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:Also, just got the email about admission to the Entertainment Law symposium.

ON IT.
Did you attend? If so, what did you think?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Black_Swan

Bronze

Post by Black_Swan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 am

I would actually suggest public transportation for usc. This could save u $$$$ and headache depending on where you are coming from. U don't need a car in the downtown area. PM me if u need help. I may try to attend as well.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Unimpressed by USC. Pm for deets.

UCLA is nice. Just need to get that scholarship match.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Visits”