University of Oregon visit Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
amc5769

New

University of Oregon visit

Post by amc5769 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:20 pm

Hey folks! I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I'm still in my undergrad with 1 semester left. I'm majoring in Corporate finance with focus in investment portfolio analysis and capital budgeting from Pennsylvania State University.

I recently went on a trip to Eugene, OR to check out the law school and all I can say is WOW! This campus makes Penn State look like a homeless shelter! The admin building looks like an Apple store and the city seems very lively.

As of right now UofO is my top choice, mainly because my father lives in Portland and am fairly confident he has connections to get me an entry level legal position post-graduation.

I am however kind of disappointed in how it ranks compared to other schools. The price is more than fair I believe ($19k/yr) as opposed to my home school (Penn State: $36k/yr), and I could save myself a hell of a lot of money, but I'm more concerned with getting the best possible education for the best price.

As for the area, Eugene seems like a very small town but lots of young people and all types of beer you can drink around there!

Any other U of O students please chime in on your experience and what kind of GPA/LSAT they're looking for.

Mojosodope

Silver

Re: University of Oregon visit

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:19 am

amc5769 wrote:Hey folks! I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I'm still in my undergrad with 1 semester left. I'm majoring in Corporate finance with focus in investment portfolio analysis and capital budgeting from Pennsylvania State University.

I recently went on a trip to Eugene, OR to check out the law school and all I can say is WOW! This campus makes Penn State look like a homeless shelter! The admin building looks like an Apple store and the city seems very lively.

As of right now UofO is my top choice, mainly because my father lives in Portland and am fairly confident he has connections to get me an entry level legal position post-graduation.

I am however kind of disappointed in how it ranks compared to other schools. The price is more than fair I believe ($19k/yr) as opposed to my home school (Penn State: $36k/yr), and I could save myself a hell of a lot of money, but I'm more concerned with getting the best possible education for the best price.

As for the area, Eugene seems like a very small town but lots of young people and all types of beer you can drink around there!

Any other U of O students please chime in on your experience and what kind of GPA/LSAT they're looking for.
I go to PSU also, aren't all finance majors focused on portfolio analysis and capital budgeting?

Anyway, have you seen Oregon's job placement statistics? They are atrocious, much worse than even Penn State's which is bad as well.

What is your LSAT and GPA?

And to answer your question their median GPA is 3.36 and LSAT is 158. Their medians represent their job statistics. It just isn't a very good law school

amc5769

New

Post by amc5769 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for the reply!

My focus isn't a "declared" focus, but at the campus I attend you can choose to take different classes within finance such as Capital Budgeting, Risk and Valuation, Derivatives and Futures securities blah blah blah.

I haven't yet taken my LSAT, I'm gonna wait until i graduate next semester to begin studying. Major GPA is a 3.4.

I'm still very torn between going for my JD, MBA, or both concurrently.

I'm also not 100% set on schools or anything until i take my LSAT, but Oregon for 1.) Is $19k/yr vs. PSU which is $36k/yr. and 2.) I'd like to live in Oregon and it may have a better alumni base and opportunity for me their.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm

amc5769 wrote:Thanks for the reply!

My focus isn't a "declared" focus, but at the campus I attend you can choose to take different classes within finance such as Capital Budgeting, Risk and Valuation, Derivatives and Futures securities blah blah blah.

I haven't yet taken my LSAT, I'm gonna wait until i graduate next semester to begin studying. Major GPA is a 3.4.

I'm still very torn between going for my JD, MBA, or both concurrently.

I'm also not 100% set on schools or anything until i take my LSAT, but Oregon for 1.) Is $19k/yr vs. PSU which is $36k/yr. and 2.) I'd like to live in Oregon and it may have a better alumni base and opportunity for me their.
So you plan on not applying until next year?

Even if Oregon is 19/yr it stil only offers a 36% chance of legal employment. So you might as well flush than $57k down the toilet. Lewis and Clark actually places better in Oregon, but still has pretty shitty statistics.

And when you say the campus you attend does that mean you don't go to main?

amc5769

New

Post by amc5769 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:52 pm

No I'm at the Harrisburg campus

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thereelfeels

New

Post by thereelfeels » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:48 am

You've gone for four years and are graduating from a Penn State Branch Campus for 36K/year?

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:50 pm

thereelfeels wrote:You've gone for four years and are graduating from a Penn State Branch Campus for 36K/year?
RC fail.

Benjamin1987

Bronze

Post by Benjamin1987 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 pm

There is nothing wrong with going to Oregon if that's where you'd like to live and its for the right price. However, as has been previously pointed out, the employment prospect are marginal. The good news is, if you can get a decent LSAT score you may be able to get a full tuition scholarship. Be sure to put plenty of time into your LSAT preparation. Here is the link to Law School Numbers for last year admits (it will give you an idea of the numbers you should shoot for): http://oregon.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1213

I will caution you though. Don't set your sights too low. Right now you don't have an LSAT score. If you score 170+ a T14 is still possible in this market.

GL!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Visits”