Commuting to Law School? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)

Diamond

Re: Commuting to Law School?

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Husband is in a jazz band. Under over is now Oct 14th.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

crg0097 wrote:I'm 60-90 miles away from the law schools in which I plan to apply. I'm a married woman without children, but due to my husband's job, we don't anticipate moving closer for me to attend law school next year.

Would it make sense to rent an apartment / room for the weekdays? Has anyone heard of commuters doing this?
60-90 miles - how long is that drive, realistically, in hours? I ask because due to where I live, it's only 50 miles to Manhattan, but 2.5 hours at rush; whereas I can drive all the way to bleedin' Philadelphia in that same amount of time. So figure out how long the commute would actually be. IMO, if it's 1.5-2 hours one way, I'd consider at least trying the commute.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Husband is in a jazz band. Under over is now Oct 14th.
+1

lol

gatorchomps

New

Post by gatorchomps » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 am

Hey, everyone, I thought I'd post here since it seems to be the most relevant thread. I'm currently living near Harrisburg, PA, and was thinking about commuting to either Philadelphia or Baltimore to take part-time evening classes. My question (for anyone familiar with either metropolitan area) is: is this quite insane, or should I just opt for fourth tier school Widener, which is almost literally down the road from my house?

Also, I work full-time, and Amtrak's services to Philly and Baltimore won't get me into either city before evening classes begin. So, I have to drive.

Any feedback is appreciated!

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:44 pm

gatorchomps wrote:Hey, everyone, I thought I'd post here since it seems to be the most relevant thread. I'm currently living near Harrisburg, PA, and was thinking about commuting to either Philadelphia or Baltimore to take part-time evening classes. My question (for anyone familiar with either metropolitan area) is: is this quite insane, or should I just opt for fourth tier school Widener, which is almost literally down the road from my house?

Also, I work full-time, and Amtrak's services to Philly and Baltimore won't get me into either city before evening classes begin. So, I have to drive.

How long is the drive?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RLowry23

Bronze

Post by RLowry23 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 am

RoaringMice wrote:
gatorchomps wrote:Hey, everyone, I thought I'd post here since it seems to be the most relevant thread. I'm currently living near Harrisburg, PA, and was thinking about commuting to either Philadelphia or Baltimore to take part-time evening classes. My question (for anyone familiar with either metropolitan area) is: is this quite insane, or should I just opt for fourth tier school Widener, which is almost literally down the road from my house?

How long is the drive?[/quote

Philly is a straight shot down I-76 from Harrisburg, not sure about the time exactly but I know it is not too bad.

You could easily drive into one of the surrounding suburbs of Philly (Exton, Malvern, Downington...) park your car and take SEPTA into the city. Traffic won't usually be bad until you get to King of Prussia, so get off somewhere before there and take the Regional Rail.

Which school in Philadelphia are you applying to there?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:14 am

RoaringMice wrote:

How long is the drive?
Depending on where OP lives, it'll likely be around an hour and half.

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:32 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Depending on where OP lives, it'll likely be around an hour and half.
Hey, guys, this is the OP. Sorry, I actually changed my name--ha, ha!

In any case, yes, I live in Central PA, and was wondering how insane it would be if I had to commute four nights a week from Harrisburg to Philadelphia? Is it better to settle for Widener down the street, or do a four hour roundtrip every evening to Temple and back? Baltimore's a shorter jaunt, but then I'd be sitting for bar admission in Maryland, which doesn't have a reciprocity agreement with Pennsylvania. I eventually want to practice in PA, though I wouldn't rule out Maryland, either.

I don't sit the LSAT until February; I'm just trying to plan ahead (read: obsessing).

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:11 pm

I commuted 45 minutes by public transit for 1L, and now have about an hour and a half drive, (2 hours on public transit), which I did for 2L. Currently a 3L.

I rented an apartment for the first quarter of my transfer year (the first year with the hellish commute). Realized about halfway through the second quarter that I hated commuting less than I hated living apart from my spouse, but I'm glad that I was on campus for that first bit, because it's hard enough starting at a new law school, starting as a transfer is worse because everyone has friends and you have to sort of break your way in.

That said, the school I transferred to was really lovely about accepting transfers (we're a small class), and as a 3L, especially because I decided to be ME of my secondary journal (which had me teaching bluebooking to the 1Ls), I know almost everyone on campus. I won't be class speaker, but I have friends and can chat a bit with more people than I would have expected to on campus given my crazed commute. I also found that people were willing to offer me a spot on their floor if I wanted to stay late, especially once word got out that I was willing to bribe with food or scotch. I now leave a blow-up mattress in my school locker with a change of clothes, so if I want to stay I don't have to worry about driving home for 3hrs of sleep only to turn around and come back.

Caveats: I had been married for five years when I decided to go to law school. Husband had a job and a 2mile commute that he intended to keep through/after law school, and which supported my law school habit. I had already made him move several times, and we owned our home in the pricey bay area, so we didn't want to sell if the goal was just getting back there. It worked for me (still married and really looking forward to going back to the 40/45min into the city after the end of this year!). Of course, a lot of things have worked for me that shouldn't have, so I'm not sure I'm the best example to follow. And, tbf, I do miss out on stuff. But I have a network of non-law school friends in the bay that I mostly hang out with on the weekends, which works for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:15 am

I'm looking at the possibility of commuting 1.25hr+, each way, by train to either Santa Clara or McGeorge.
I live in the Bay Area where the COL is higher than the environs surrounding either of these schools. However, I have a wife and two kids that I cannot realistically move atm. Any relevant experience from other posters is greatly appreciated. I am thinking that I can study on the train, if need be, but I am wondering also about trying to negotiate for housing/stipend money on top of heavy scholly money.
I'm a little worried about the extra strain this may place on my family/time balance.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:49 am

It will absolutely dig into time with wife and kids. I have a friend who eventually did ask his wife to move for that reason. I'm not sure I'd do the commute for either of those schools, just not worth it in the current legal economy, unless you already have postgrad employment lined up. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm

PM'd
Thank you, lisavj

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”