Chosen for private lunch with Dean... What should I ask?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
SJU2010

New

Chosen for private lunch with Dean... What should I ask?

Postby SJU2010 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

I have been chosen as one of under 10 people to have lunch/tea with a law school dean. I have been offered a great scholarship there. It is not a top school in the nation; but I plan to attend because of the scholarship. What questions should I ask during the lunch/tea?

TheThriller

Gold

Re: Chosen for private lunch with Dean... What should I ask?

Postby TheThriller » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm

SJU2010 wrote:I have been chosen as one of under 10 people to have lunch/tea with a law school dean. I have been offered a great scholarship there. It is not a top school in the nation; but I plan to attend because of the scholarship. What questions should I ask during the lunch/tea?

ask about the stipulation on your scholarship

PennBull

Diamond

Postby PennBull » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:50 pm

TheThriller wrote:
SJU2010 wrote:I have been chosen as one of under 10 people to have lunch/tea with a law school dean. I have been offered a great scholarship there. It is not a top school in the nation; but I plan to attend because of the scholarship. What questions should I ask during the lunch/tea?

ask about the stipulation on your scholarship

TITCR

rad lulz

Platinum

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:53 pm

Ask how he sleeps at night

Danger Zone

Platinum

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Where he gets those employment numbers from.

rad lulz

Platinum

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 pm

Whether anyone other than his mom has read his scholarship

patrickd139

Gold

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 am

Favorite Tyler Perry movie?

stillwater

Gold

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 am

The dean is, in all likelihood, a crook. Treat them like any other criminal you'd run into.

Winston1984

Gold

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:10 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Favorite Tyler Perry movie?

jkpolk

Silver

Postby jkpolk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Why the lunch provides tea but not booze

GatorEagle1

New

Postby GatorEagle1 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:34 pm

What do you mean by "not top school in the nation"? Quite a difference between Minnesota or Cooley.

reasonable_man

Gold

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Ask him if he feels badly that the tuition rate at his school has risen at 8 times the rate of inflation over the past dozen years and whether or not he feels remotely bad for the close to 50% or more students that graduate from his school and only have a job at Starbucks to look forward to after 3 years and a $200,000 investment.

Do not be too impressed with these people - they do not deserve it. Law school professors/deans are people with JDs that had zero ability to hack it as a practicing lawyer.

PennBull

Diamond

Postby PennBull » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Ask him if he feels badly that the tuition rate at his school has risen at 8 times the rate of inflation over the past dozen years and whether or not he feels remotely bad for the close to 50% or more students that graduate from his school and only have a job at Starbucks to look forward to after 3 years and a $200,000 investment.

Do not be too impressed with these people - they do not deserve it. Law school professors/deans are people with JDs that had zero ability to hack it as a practicing lawyer.

And the dean sure as shit isn't going to take a personal investment in getting you a job, so I wouldn't feel bad about ruffling his feathers.

reasonable_man

Gold

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:09 pm

PennBull wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Ask him if he feels badly that the tuition rate at his school has risen at 8 times the rate of inflation over the past dozen years and whether or not he feels remotely bad for the close to 50% or more students that graduate from his school and only have a job at Starbucks to look forward to after 3 years and a $200,000 investment.

And the dean sure as shit isn't going to take a personal investment in getting you a job, so I wouldn't feel bad about ruffling his feathers.

Ask him how you go about getting the job of law school dean? After all, in what other line of work (other than a weather forecaster) can you have a 65% or better failure rate and still earn over 800K... http://www.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-law-dean-in-the-country-2013-1

stillwater

Gold

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:57 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Ask him how you go about getting the job of law school dean? After all, in what other line of work (other than a weather forecaster) can you have a 65% or better failure rate and still earn over 800K... http://www.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-law-dean-in-the-country-2013-1

weathermen make over 800k a year? why the fuck am i going to law school????

hephaestus

Gold

Postby hephaestus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 pm

Your post history indicates it's Pace. If that's true, skip the lunch and study for your LSAT retake instead.

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:41 am

reasonable_man wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Baseball players come to mind.

Ask him if hes been on TLS forums before and judge his reaction

patrickd139

Gold

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 am

john1990 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Baseball players come to mind.

Ask him if hes been on TLS forums before and judge his reaction

Dude(tte): this thread is almost 6 months old. Let it be.

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:07 am

TTE?

Better to comment late than never

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:43 am

No, it's not. Please don't bump old threads to respond to a question that was asked and answered months ago, to address something that happened months ago.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days�