Bad Impressions

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Troianii
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:13 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Troianii » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:32 pm

fliptrip wrote:anyone know how to get Liberty University to stop calling me? Currently, my plan is to tell them I'm an Atheist with the hopes that will scare them off.


I got a call from them. I acted like I was interested and asked about their job figures, why more than a quarter of their grads don't even find jobs (while only half get legal jobs), and they didn't really have an answer, but that's the last I heard from them.

sidenote: I know I'm really breaking with the pack here, but I don't like liberty. :lol: I mean really, I actually think it is good that a law school exists for people with certain interests and backgrounds. I went to a Christian undergrad, but it's nominally Christian, and they don't place any rules on anyone. Liberty actually has some ethics code that is purely religious that they force on anyone attending. And I could kind of forgive it if they weren't about making money. BYU charges LDS members about 10k, if Liberty was serious about their faith and not just using it as a draw, then they wouldn't be charging students 32k for TTT.

toomanymornings
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby toomanymornings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:35 am

KiltedKicker wrote:Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off


Huh? Brandeis has a law school?

User avatar
Tycho
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Tycho » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:04 pm

toomanymornings wrote:
KiltedKicker wrote:Brandeis CC'ing me and hundreds of other potential applicants in a mass recruiting email rather than using BCC. Brutally dumb mistake, really pissed me off


Huh? Brandeis has a law school?


Nah, Brandeis is the University of Louisville's law school.

toomanymornings
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby toomanymornings » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:19 pm

ah, gotcha.

User avatar
fliptrip
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby fliptrip » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:26 pm

Well the U. of Montana just wrote to wish me good luck on the February LSAT, which I thought was odd considering it's March and I didn't register for the February LSAT.

User avatar
somethingElse
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:09 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby somethingElse » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:03 pm

fliptrip wrote:Well the U. of Montana just wrote to wish me good luck on the February LSAT, which I thought was odd considering it's March and I didn't register for the February LSAT.


Was thinking about posting this, lol - got the same email.

Animosity
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Animosity » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:10 pm

I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.

User avatar
penn19
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby penn19 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Animosity wrote:I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.


Or they just fucked up. lol.

User avatar
fliptrip
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby fliptrip » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:44 pm

penn19 wrote:
Animosity wrote:I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.


Or they just fucked up. lol.


+1.

Animosity
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:00 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Animosity » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:54 pm

fliptrip wrote:
penn19 wrote:
Animosity wrote:I got the same email. They probably meant next year's February LSAT.


Or they just fucked up. lol.


+1.



I forgot the /s.

User avatar
lemonparty
Posts: 1455
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby lemonparty » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm

I won't say the school, but I was sitting in on a class and the prof spent about the first 20 min shitting on other schools he's taught at. The class itself was awesome, but it put a bad taste in my mouth. Wish he spent more time talking about why his current school is great instead

Yewigmo
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:46 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Yewigmo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:26 am

There was a certain T20 school that I interviewed with and at first everything went fine. It wasn't until the last question where I found the interviewer to be very critical and almost ill-informed about a certain subject matter. I've trained to sing opera with some well known and respected singing teachers for years, and I put that I have trained to sing opera on my resume. I was asked about what operas I have been in, I told him I hadn't been in any, he retorted with "so, you lied?" I was stunned and I couldn't believe he said that. I told him no, that I've trained to sing professional opera (which I have since sophomore year in high school). Opera is an art form and you don't have to perform in actual operas to train professionally. He went on to ask me what my favorite opera was, which I answered, and then I also stated that "Ach Ich Fuhl's" was my favorite opera aria to sing. I don't think he really cared to listen. I still can't believe how unprofessional this was, instead of accusing me of lying (if he really thought I was), why not ask me to just sing an opera aria right there in front of him? Why not ask me the names of my past and present teachers? Why just outwardly accuse me of lying like that?

I've never been accused of lying like that, and no, under no circumstance did I lie, and I didn't appreciate being accused of lying. I found this admissions counselor to be very pretentious, and frankly, unprofessional. It really turned me off from the school. At the end of the day, it was a blessing in disguise because I found a different law school that was a better fit for me.
Last edited by Yewigmo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
whitleygilbertwayne
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby whitleygilbertwayne » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 am

a few months ago, Wake Forest Univeristy sent me an email encouraging me to apply.

User avatar
James.K.Polk
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby James.K.Polk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:38 am

Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby North » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:37 pm

James.K.Polk wrote:Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."

Aside from the George Mason bit this sounds like honest and probably good advice

User avatar
TheDapperDruid
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby TheDapperDruid » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:56 am

I received an email from Golden Gate University that I found so ironic that I had to screen shot it so that it wouldn't be lost in the flux of emails.

The subject of the email read "WHY srudy law here," and I asked myself that same question... :lol:

Acordeon
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Acordeon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 am

James.K.Polk wrote:Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."


I also had a WUSTL Law prof tell me not to go there (I went there for undergrad and love STL, and obviously WUSTL Law gives huge scholarships to almost everyone). I don't think that's an uncommon viewpoint even among the professors there.

User avatar
okfreeb
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:33 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby okfreeb » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Acordeon wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."


I also had a WUSTL Law prof tell me not to go there (I went there for undergrad and love STL, and obviously WUSTL Law gives huge scholarships to almost everyone). I don't think that's an uncommon viewpoint even among the professors there.


So, I will say that this didn't give me a bad impression of the school at all, but I also had a WUSTL prof tell me not to attend unless they offered me serious money.

tsujimoto74
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby tsujimoto74 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 pm

okfreeb wrote:
Acordeon wrote:
James.K.Polk wrote:Had the worst impression from WUSTL law, now that I think on it. Can provide further details via PM. Basically a prof who would theoretically be my program advisor absolutely shit on WUSTL Law, told me the law school was not the caliber of the undergrad (where I went!), told me even George Mason was better and, after hearing my scholarship, told me, "they ought to give you more. Don't go here without more."


I also had a WUSTL Law prof tell me not to go there (I went there for undergrad and love STL, and obviously WUSTL Law gives huge scholarships to almost everyone). I don't think that's an uncommon viewpoint even among the professors there.


So, I will say that this didn't give me a bad impression of the school at all, but I also had a WUSTL prof tell me not to attend unless they offered me serious money.


tbh, that seems like solid advice that could apply to most students and law schools. Hundreds of thousands of debt is probably an outcome most people would be wise to avoid.

poptart123
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby poptart123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Thought about this thread this weekend when this happened to me.

Was invited to a Baylor Law School luncheon this past weekend. I RSVP'd and was told I would receive a reminder email later in the week, though the email never came. I arrived at the restaurant who seemed confused when I told them what I was there for, but a manager came over and said the restaurant was expecting us and that we were to be seated at a table for four. After thirty minutes of nobody showing up past the scheduled start time (not even the admission representative), no email, and no phone call, I decided to leave. The restaurant didn't know where they were either. Did they forget that people RSVP'd for this location? Was I stood up?

Needless to say I will not be attending Baylor - I was already really not planning to, but figured maybe they could sell it to me and of course the free food.

User avatar
CJRpnw
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby CJRpnw » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:44 pm

poptart123 wrote:Thought about this thread this weekend when this happened to me.

Was invited to a Baylor Law School luncheon this past weekend. I RSVP'd and was told I would receive a reminder email later in the week, though the email never came. I arrived at the restaurant who seemed confused when I told them what I was there for, but a manager came over and said the restaurant was expecting us and that we were to be seated at a table for four. After thirty minutes of nobody showing up past the scheduled start time (not even the admission representative), no email, and no phone call, I decided to leave. The restaurant didn't know where they were either. Did they forget that people RSVP'd for this location? Was I stood up?

Needless to say I will not be attending Baylor - I was already really not planning to, but figured maybe they could sell it to me and of course the free food.


Whoa, that's super weird.

User avatar
Iam3hunna
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Iam3hunna » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:52 pm

UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?

User avatar
Nachoo2019
Posts: 796
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Nachoo2019 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Iam3hunna wrote:UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?


That depends, how YUUUUUUUUGEE was it?

User avatar
Iam3hunna
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Iam3hunna » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:00 pm

kwabedi wrote:
Iam3hunna wrote:UVA's YUGE seat deposit left a bad impression on me. Does that count?


That depends, how YUUUUUUUUGEE was it?


About $1,000 Yuge

Purplepen
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Purplepen » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Still waiting to hear from NYU (to get a ding or wl obviously), so I visited Fordham because they offered a good sum of money and it's more home city. I attended a tour because I lhave been accepted to better schools, so asd there is s lower priority for work days off than other schools. If the tour guide never opened her mouth, I would have probably been very impressed by the just how pretty the building was, but oh freakin lord I withdrew immediately after that tour. Never have I met such an unprofessional, pessimistic, uninformed individual throughout this entire process. Every answer to every question was 'idk why don't you ask someone else.' Like you're a 3L, what the heck have you been doing for three years that you can't answer a single question about the school? Furthermore, when asked about 'anecdotal job prospects in the market' here, she basically said if she got into any better school in any region she would have gone there instead. What a nightmare, gladly declining my scholarship.

As a side note, I also didn't really like WashU when I visited, but I can't quite put a finger on why, something rubbed me the wrong way. they didn't give me enough money to hold my interest.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests