Bad Impressions

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
DJKRD92
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby DJKRD92 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Brut wrote:i would bet money you don't have the numbers to go to a top law school


Lol how much we betting?

DJKRD92
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby DJKRD92 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm

.
Last edited by DJKRD92 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 pm

DJKRD92 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
DJKRD92 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:Sure, boss. Not applying because of the answers to three questions is bizarre. God, having to watch out for the fragile ego's of 0L's would drive me insane


Lol More like the garbage attitude of the representative of a place with an already terrible reputation (ex. "where fun goes to die") proved why I shouldn't go there in the first place. You seem like you have lots of fun friends. Don't be too sensitive about it.


Oh, I'm not sensitive and strongly support your right to make stupid choices. If it helps, I'm sure that law students at every top school think it is pretty dumb.

I'd be careful about conflating "shouldn't go there" with "couldn't go there."


Haha i hope you actually even go to Uchicago to at least justify the juvenile bitchfit you're having


I did go there! But replace Chicago with [any school] and I'd still be absolutely baffled. Refusing to apply to a school because someone there didn't answer the questions with enough enthusiasm seems like the definition of a bitchfit.

Either way, we're not getting anywhere, so I bid you good luck with your retake and your law school career (not at Chicago!!!!!!)

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:20 pm

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJKRD92
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby DJKRD92 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:54 pm

.

DJKRD92
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby DJKRD92 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Brut wrote:a lot
your lsat was so dismal you had to retake in december


haha true :/

Procyon
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:23 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Procyon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 pm

My Chicago interviewer had my name wrong the entire time. I wouldn't call it a bad impression, but it sure made for a memorable 15 minutes.

User avatar
ddoomm
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby ddoomm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:40 pm

I received an acceptance e-mail from a law school that I had never heard from before yesterday (although, in their defense, they did send out an apology e-mail several hours later). I also received in one of my acceptance letters a hand-written letter from the Dean inviting me to enroll and get away from the cold weather in Green Bay. I go to school in central New York...

User avatar
Harry_Pluxen
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:00 pm

ddoomm wrote:I received an acceptance e-mail from a law school that I had never heard from before yesterday (although, in their defense, they did send out an apology e-mail several hours later). I also received in one of my acceptance letters a hand-written letter from the Dean inviting me to enroll and get away from the cold weather in Green Bay. I go to school in central New York...


"Congratulations on your acceptance and welcome to the profession..."

How unprofessional of them.

User avatar
Harry_Pluxen
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Just got 8 e-mails over the span of 2 minutes from George Mason University.

User avatar
lawandorder2019
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:11 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby lawandorder2019 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:29 pm

George Mason started strong. They called me the week of Thanksgiving because they wanted me to be able to have some good news over my holiday break, which I thought was very nice of them. Then over the weekend, the dean texted me asking if we could chat. Already, I was apprehensive because I was like "what law school dean texts possible students??" But I texted back saying I couldn't talk that day but gave him some other options. He chose the day and said he would talk to me soon. The decided upon day comes and I receive no phone call. Another day passes and later that evening, like 9 or 10, I get a text from the dean apologizing and rescheduling. When he does call he doesn't know basic info about me, like when (if) I have graduated. Then he says he's going to shoot me an email about the admitted student days but tells me his "cheat sheet" doesn't have my email. Then he proceeds to say that GMU is great for being such a young law school and isn't as old as other law schools I may have applied to.

The whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth because instead of telling me about the school and its strengths, he just mentioned rankings and tried to bash other law schools.

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Hildegard15 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I won't name the law school because anecdotally their admissions team seems vindictive, but I went to visit a school before my LSAT retake. I loved the tour, thought the campus was beautiful, and then we were all invited to speak with an admissions officer. So I waited with the other people to have the chance to speak with someone. The first person to go in came out after maybe 4-5 minutes. This should have been a sign to me. Then when I went in, I asked my first question and the admissions officer said that she hates that question. She said that it makes it sound like I'm asking her to sell the school. Then when I asked my other questions she gave very perfunctory responses. The only time she seemed interested in talking to me was when she asked for my stats. She then said my LSAT was too low and just talked about me needing to improve it.

It all ended happily and I scored 12 points higher on my retake. With great pleasure, I deleted them off my list of schools on LSAC.

User avatar
tyrant_flycatcher
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school because anecdotally their admissions team seems vindictive, but I went to visit a school before my LSAT retake. I loved the tour, thought the campus was beautiful, and then we were all invited to speak with an admissions officer. So I waited with the other people to have the chance to speak with someone. The first person to go in came out after maybe 4-5 minutes. This should have been a sign to me. Then when I went in, I asked my first question and the admissions officer said that she hates that question. She said that it makes it sound like I'm asking her to sell the school. Then when I asked my other questions she gave very perfunctory responses. The only time she seemed interested in talking to me was when she asked for my stats. She then said my LSAT was too low and just talked about me needing to improve it.

It all ended happily and I scored 12 points higher on my retake. With great pleasure, I deleted them off my list of schools on LSAC.


One admission officer's bad behavior was enough for you to take your LSAT elsewhere...and you think the admissions team is the one that is vindictive.

K.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22879
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:23 pm

I doubt the school is going to be devastated by her failure to apply (not a knock at you, Hildegard, just saying it's weird to call deciding not to apply "vindictive").

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Hildegard15 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I doubt the school is going to be devastated by her failure to apply (not a knock at you, Hildegard, just saying it's weird to call deciding not to apply "vindictive").


No offense taken. Vindictive seems an odd choice of word to me too. My LSAT score became high enough that that school no longer would have been worth applying to. I would have deleted it off my list even if the admissions officer had been super nice. But because she was mean, deleting them made me happier. But haters gonna hate. 8)

acr
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby acr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Didn't happen to me, but apparently University of Iowa sent acceptance letters to applicants this year, realized the acceptance letters were sent in error, and rescinded the acceptances like a week later. Terrible.

User avatar
OtterLaw
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby OtterLaw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:46 am

acr wrote:Didn't happen to me, but apparently University of Iowa sent acceptance letters to applicants this year, realized the acceptance letters were sent in error, and rescinded the acceptances like a week later. Terrible.


There should be a law against that. Ouch.

User avatar
jetsfan1
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby jetsfan1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:04 am

Navyhornguy wrote:
acr wrote:Didn't happen to me, but apparently University of Iowa sent acceptance letters to applicants this year, realized the acceptance letters were sent in error, and rescinded the acceptances like a week later. Terrible.


There should be a law against that. Ouch.


Seriously. Know this is pretty unlikely, but what if someone had their heart set on Iowa and withdrew the rest of their apps upon admission. They'd be screwed.

User avatar
Nachoo2019
Posts: 796
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:43 am

I was admitted with close to full tuition covered at DePaul. Fast forward two weeks and an admissions officer calls to welcome me , "Lauren", to DePaul College of Law. My name is Kamron...

This really will not play a role in my decision as DePaul is a safety net, but it definitely left a bad taste. Not to mention it made for an awkward 90 second phone call.

User avatar
lymenheimer
Posts: 3501
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:36 am

Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school

Could you name the school after the cycle? I mean you didn't even apply, right? Itd be interesting to know who it is.

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2137
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Hildegard15 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:54 am

lymenheimer wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school

Could you name the school after the cycle? I mean you didn't even apply, right? Itd be interesting to know who it is.


Maybe. :) This school also ended up causing the massive compendium exodus and flurry of people deleting all their posts, so my bad impression actually ended up being indicative of the admissions staff.

User avatar
curious bobcat
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby curious bobcat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school

Could you name the school after the cycle? I mean you didn't even apply, right? Itd be interesting to know who it is.


Maybe. :) This school also ended up causing the massive compendium exodus and flurry of people deleting all their posts, so my bad impression actually ended up being indicative of the admissions staff.


Seconding lymenheimer. Would be interested in learning what caused the mass post deletion in the compendium.

User avatar
benwyatt
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby benwyatt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 am

curious bobcat wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school

Could you name the school after the cycle? I mean you didn't even apply, right? Itd be interesting to know who it is.


Maybe. :) This school also ended up causing the massive compendium exodus and flurry of people deleting all their posts, so my bad impression actually ended up being indicative of the admissions staff.


Seconding lymenheimer. Would be interested in learning what caused the mass post deletion in the compendium.

You seem...curious.

curry1
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby curry1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 am

Hildegard15 wrote:I won't name the law school because anecdotally their admissions team seems vindictive, but I went to visit a school before my LSAT retake. I loved the tour, thought the campus was beautiful, and then we were all invited to speak with an admissions officer. So I waited with the other people to have the chance to speak with someone. The first person to go in came out after maybe 4-5 minutes. This should have been a sign to me. Then when I went in, I asked my first question and the admissions officer said that she hates that question. She said that it makes it sound like I'm asking her to sell the school. Then when I asked my other questions she gave very perfunctory responses. The only time she seemed interested in talking to me was when she asked for my stats. She then said my LSAT was too low and just talked about me needing to improve it.

It all ended happily and I scored 12 points higher on my retake. With great pleasure, I deleted them off my list of schools on LSAC.

Egregious anti-UCLA trolling.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest