Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
CPA-->JD wrote:
theothercat wrote:Now that I've withdrawn, I gotta say, Georgetown was one of my top choices when this cycle started, and they disappointed me at every turn. Everything about my experience with them was extremely lacking.
I can't believe they set me me up with someone with a NYU LLM for an alumni interview. What a ringing endorsement of your university.
My interviewer told me rank mattered a ton and that one should definitely choose Harvard or Columbia or other top schools over Georgetown
Yikes

lizsten2me

New

Post by lizsten2me » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 am

Went on a campus tour which was attended by one other female who appeared to have come straight from the sorority house. The tour guide spent more time talking to her about how many of the women in the school were married and what she wore to class every day than the actual program.

I had to ask about externships because no information was provided (and as it happens, this is the biggest drawback I hear about from the school), and I got a very inadequate answer that provided almost no clarity or information.

-_- As a non-sorority woman I was really turned off.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:52 pm

cron1834 wrote:
firedust wrote:additionally, the welcome email from a 1L student contained a comma splice. :shock:

NOT impressed.
I sincerely hope we won't attend the same school.
Because they found it unimpressive that a law school dean isn't bright enough to have picked up basic grammar at some point in his life? Two blatant and unequivocal grammar errors (not typos) in an email from a law school dean? "Unimpressive" is an understatement.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:14 pm

pricon wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
firedust wrote:additionally, the welcome email from a 1L student contained a comma splice. :shock:

NOT impressed.
I sincerely hope we won't attend the same school.
Because they found it unimpressive that a law school dean isn't bright enough to have picked up basic grammar at some point in his life? Two blatant and unequivocal grammar errors (not typos) in an email from a law school dean? "Unimpressive" is an understatement.
In 4 years of TLSing, that is definitely one of the most pathetic necros I’ve seen.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm not going to go find the original post, but Platy's right. One error was a student's. (And with that said, I'm not so confident in the point I was making, but it's there still for all the world to waste time reading through. My apologies for that time wasted. I should learn how to read better.)

I have yet to learn or understand what relevance the date of that post had to the content of that post. Should I first have confirmed whether, since that post was made, your views on the poster's feelings about the dean's grammar had changed, because so much time had passed?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

you should do a lot of things.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:22 pm

pancakes3 wrote:you should do a lot of things.
:lol:

Simply pathetic.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Post by future liT1g4tor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:56 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:GULC. One of their financial aid workers gave me a very rude phone call in response to a financial aid inquiry... their tone was just snotty and disrespectful. I'll likely be withdrawing my app this week (not just because of the phone call).
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.
Ah c'mon, this is a fun topic.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... yaAjtcgGP7

I think what he is trying to get at is that it is quite ridiculous to even consider weighing options based solely on small encounters w/ irrelevant people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:28 pm

cron1834 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:you should do a lot of things.
:lol:

Simply pathetic.
*yawn*

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:30 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:GULC. One of their financial aid workers gave me a very rude phone call in response to a financial aid inquiry... their tone was just snotty and disrespectful. I'll likely be withdrawing my app this week (not just because of the phone call).
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:How nice or mean an admissions person is shouldn't have any effect on your decision-making process. These are people you will probably never talk to again, even if you attend that school. While it's arguable that having an incompetent admissions office should reflect poorly on a school, you have better data to base your decision on about how competent the law school is overall: their employment placement numbers.

I think what he is trying to get at is that it is quite ridiculous to even consider weighing options based solely on small encounters w/ irrelevant people.
I'll just pile on. I don't see any reason to ding a law school for its staff (i.e., not professors or leadership) being underwhelming. Also, employment trumps all.

Amerision

Bronze

Post by Amerision » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:28 pm

future liT1g4tor wrote:

Don't know about you guys, but I make all my decisions regarding school based on my experience with the cafeteria employees. Unhappy cafeteria employees who are rude mean two things:

1) That the school doesn't care about them and treats them poorly.

2) That the food is probably going to be crappy.

Now, if the school doesn't care enough about the people who are making something we need to survive, how can I possibly expect that they will care about me? Secondly, if the food is crappy, I will be unable to perform as well as I could in school. Every minute that I spend outside the school, getting food from the bodega, is a minute I am not spending studying/asking the smarter kid what he thinks the exam will be about.

in conclusion, this thread should be treated for what it is: literal gold.
Last edited by Amerision on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 am

^ I get where you're coming from. I don't care a lot, but nothing wrong with caring. Just be careful not to jump to conclusions. People can be unhappy for lots of different reasons, so, if you could, and if you really do rely on their attitude about work so heavily, I'd recommend actually going out of your way to meet with these people outside of work and to understand their beliefs and values.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:04 pm

3 am email from Marquette (go figure) that started off "Season’s Greetings, FIRSTNAME!"

das cute. :roll:

DonaldTrump

New

Post by DonaldTrump » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Went to a UVA event (which had alumni, current students, and admits) earlier this week hosted by a club that has interest in my locality. I was really pumped about UVA before this, but the event totally killed my vibe.

The person who organized the event kept calling a many of the admitted students old. They were a few years removed from undergrad, but all <30. She repeatedly made it a point to stress their ages, and referred to herself (many times) as a baby since she's a k-jd and only 22.

This same person wouldn't stop talking about drinking. Every question would lead to a tangent about how great the drinking culture at UVA/Charlottesville is. She was pretty shameless about her drinking habits, and it was a huge turn off for me. I drink, but I don't talk about it that much. At one point she even talked about doing drugs but another student steered the conversation away.

She displayed a lack of judgement, and maturity that I expect from a law student.

The alumni on the other hand were awesome. Clearly that girl is not representative of the student body but as the organizer of the event, she served as the face of the school and did a horrible job.

I'm seriously considering Duke and Northwestern after this.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:52 pm

DonaldTrump wrote:Went to a UVA event (which had alumni, current students, and admits) earlier this week hosted by a club that has interest in my locality. I was really pumped about UVA before this, but the event totally killed my vibe.

The person who organized the event kept calling a many of the admitted students old. They were a few years removed from undergrad, but all <30. She repeatedly made it a point to stress their ages, and referred to herself (many times) as a baby since she's a k-jd and only 22.

This same person wouldn't stop talking about drinking. Every question would lead to a tangent about how great the drinking culture at UVA/Charlottesville is. She was pretty shameless about her drinking habits, and it was a huge turn off for me. I drink, but I don't talk about it that much. At one point she even talked about doing drugs but another student steered the conversation away.

She displayed a lack of judgement, and maturity that I expect from a law student.

The alumni on the other hand were awesome. Clearly that girl is not representative of the student body but as the organizer of the event, she served as the face of the school and did a horrible job.

I’m sorry you had that experience, and you can certainly bring this up with the administration as a concern. UVA really doesn’t want people acting that way at official events, and they’d be very interested in looking into it.

And that current student (or I’m assuming they are a current student) are not really representative of the culture at UVA. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to shoot them my way. I’d be happy to dispel so much of that bad look.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I'd wager that there are at least 30 students like this person you've described at every law school in the country. Just get to know other students if you're worried.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm

DonaldTrump wrote:Went to a UVA event (which had alumni, current students, and admits) earlier this week hosted by a club that has interest in my locality. I was really pumped about UVA before this, but the event totally killed my vibe.

I mean, this sounds like pretty standard behavior from a 22 year old. I might question why they'd bother putting her on any kind of committee to organize external events, but I'd wager there's a good chunk of k-jds everywhere that act dumb because they've never been outside the bubble of campus. LS is certainly not undergrad by any stretch of the imagination, but it's also not an office with the expectation of behavior that adheres to strict corporate conduct.

Nava1021

New

Post by Nava1021 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 am

toothbrush wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
As soon as I saw the email I was like Whoa! Bad Impression!
this made me lol
It’s funny to imagine someone saying out loud “whoa! Bad impression!” Lol

Text-align

New

Post by Text-align » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:24 pm

I withdrew my application the following day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”