Bad Impressions

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 7711
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Mikey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Fucking NYU. SMDH.

what happened????

It's in the NYU thread, but the TL;DR is that they sent everyone - pending, acceptances and rejects - an RSVP for an admitted students reception for women. Several hours later they released a "omg sry if that was confusing" email clearing it up.

oh, I heard about that. pretty shitty that it happened since it confused tf out of a lot of people when it came to their own decision probably

I thought you were talking about a shitty visit or something when you posted ;P

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2398
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Fucking NYU. SMDH.

what happened????

It's in the NYU thread, but the TL;DR is that they sent everyone - pending, acceptances and rejects - an RSVP for an admitted students reception for women. Several hours later they released a "omg sry if that was confusing" email clearing it up.

oh, I heard about that. pretty shitty that it happened since it confused tf out of a lot of people when it came to their own decision probably

I thought you were talking about a shitty visit or something when you posted ;P


Dang, NYU has fallen far from the Pizza Box glory days.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Fucking NYU. SMDH.

what happened????

It's in the NYU thread, but the TL;DR is that they sent everyone - pending, acceptances and rejects - an RSVP for an admitted students reception for women. Several hours later they released a "omg sry if that was confusing" email clearing it up.

So, people had an opportunity for free food who otherwise would have been excluded. They could just claim they missed the follow-up e-mail. My favorite social events were with firms where I knew I didn't have a shot.


The followup email specifically says "you will not be able to RSVP to this event" so I'm not even sure if we could even if we tried haha

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 7432
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Fucking NYU. SMDH.

what happened????

It's in the NYU thread, but the TL;DR is that they sent everyone - pending, acceptances and rejects - an RSVP for an admitted students reception for women. Several hours later they released a "omg sry if that was confusing" email clearing it up.

So, people had an opportunity for free food who otherwise would have been excluded. They could just claim they missed the follow-up e-mail. My favorite social events were with firms where I knew I didn't have a shot.


The followup email specifically says "you will not be able to RSVP to this event" so I'm not even sure if we could even if we tried haha

Just explain that you saw the first e-mail, noticed the RSVP feature wasn't working, and decided to go. They've already rejected you, so what are you going to lose?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Fucking NYU. SMDH.

what happened????

It's in the NYU thread, but the TL;DR is that they sent everyone - pending, acceptances and rejects - an RSVP for an admitted students reception for women. Several hours later they released a "omg sry if that was confusing" email clearing it up.

So, people had an opportunity for free food who otherwise would have been excluded. They could just claim they missed the follow-up e-mail. My favorite social events were with firms where I knew I didn't have a shot.


The followup email specifically says "you will not be able to RSVP to this event" so I'm not even sure if we could even if we tried haha

Just explain that you saw the first e-mail, noticed the RSVP feature wasn't working, and decided to go. They've already rejected you, so what are you going to lose?


I wasn't rejected yet lol still haven't received a decision from them

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 7432
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Fucking NYU. SMDH.

what happened????

It's in the NYU thread, but the TL;DR is that they sent everyone - pending, acceptances and rejects - an RSVP for an admitted students reception for women. Several hours later they released a "omg sry if that was confusing" email clearing it up.

So, people had an opportunity for free food who otherwise would have been excluded. They could just claim they missed the follow-up e-mail. My favorite social events were with firms where I knew I didn't have a shot.


The followup email specifically says "you will not be able to RSVP to this event" so I'm not even sure if we could even if we tried haha

Just explain that you saw the first e-mail, noticed the RSVP feature wasn't working, and decided to go. They've already rejected you, so what are you going to lose?


I wasn't rejected yet lol still haven't received a decision from them

Wouldn't do it in that case. Sorry.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
The followup email specifically says "you will not be able to RSVP to this event" so I'm not even sure if we could even if we tried haha

Just explain that you saw the first e-mail, noticed the RSVP feature wasn't working, and decided to go. They've already rejected you, so what are you going to lose?


I wasn't rejected yet lol still haven't received a decision from them

Wouldn't do it in that case. Sorry.


hahaha dammit. It also wouldn't help that I'm not a woman... so it would be weird if a dude showed up to the admitted women's reception.

Or would it :wink:

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby bitter_melon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
The followup email specifically says "you will not be able to RSVP to this event" so I'm not even sure if we could even if we tried haha

Just explain that you saw the first e-mail, noticed the RSVP feature wasn't working, and decided to go. They've already rejected you, so what are you going to lose?


I wasn't rejected yet lol still haven't received a decision from them

Wouldn't do it in that case. Sorry.


hahaha dammit. It also wouldn't help that I'm not a woman... so it would be weird if a dude showed up to the admitted women's reception.

Or would it :wink:


Why is there an admitted women's reception but not an admitted men's reception? This is what oppression looks like.

User avatar
theothercat
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby theothercat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Now that I've withdrawn, I gotta say, Georgetown was one of my top choices when this cycle started, and they disappointed me at every turn. Everything about my experience with them was extremely lacking.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby grades?? » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:51 pm

theothercat wrote:Now that I've withdrawn, I gotta say, Georgetown was one of my top choices when this cycle started, and they disappointed me at every turn. Everything about my experience with them was extremely lacking.


No kidding now that its just a t20 school hanging out with UCLA and WUSTL.

CPA-->JD
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby CPA-->JD » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

theothercat wrote:Now that I've withdrawn, I gotta say, Georgetown was one of my top choices when this cycle started, and they disappointed me at every turn. Everything about my experience with them was extremely lacking.

I can't believe they set me me up with someone with a NYU LLM for an alumni interview. What a ringing endorsement of your university.

User avatar
theothercat
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby theothercat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
theothercat wrote:Now that I've withdrawn, I gotta say, Georgetown was one of my top choices when this cycle started, and they disappointed me at every turn. Everything about my experience with them was extremely lacking.

I can't believe they set me me up with someone with a NYU LLM for an alumni interview. What a ringing endorsement of your university.

They sent me the scholly feeler e-mail in the first round, sent me nothing for two months, then had me talk to the Director of Admissions about whether or not I was "serious" about their school. She told me that they would respond within the week. Then they ghosted me for three weeks, and when they sent my scholly offer said I had less than a week to decide...without seeing my need-based award.

Ummmm nope byyyyeee.

Itiswritten
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Itiswritten » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

Edit: Berk is a phenomenal school. Just not for me, personally.
Last edited by Itiswritten on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4591
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD

Itiswritten
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Itiswritten » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:35 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD


If I'm not mistaken it was tangentially related to the dean's behavior. I think it was over general lack of transparency with the faculty.

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby bitter_melon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

Edit: Berk is a phenomenal school. Just not for me, personally.


Honestly this is the exact type of stuff that gives Berk a bad reputation to begin with.

Juniper11
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Juniper11 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:20 am

proteinshake wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD


This was from 2016. Students did not boycott ASW - they actually showed up en masse (as did faculty) to demonstrate that the school was not defined by the scandal. Students fully participated in all of the panels and willingly talked to prospective students about it. Administrators and professors addressed all of it head on, even as they were reeling from finding out about it the day before prospective students arrived.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30458
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:32 am

Such a dumb thread

Itiswritten
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Itiswritten » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:24 am

Juniper11 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD


This was from 2016. Students did not boycott ASW - they actually showed up en masse (as did faculty) to demonstrate that the school was not defined by the scandal. Students fully participated in all of the panels and willingly talked to prospective students about it. Administrators and professors addressed all of it head on, even as they were reeling from finding out about it the day before prospective students arrived.


This is not true. They were protesting when we walked through the library. Brunch at the Dean's house was cancelled like 48 hours before we were supposed to be at his house. What ASW did you go to? lol

Lawcat11
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Lawcat11 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45 am

Itiswritten wrote:
Juniper11 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD


This was from 2016. Students did not boycott ASW - they actually showed up en masse (as did faculty) to demonstrate that the school was not defined by the scandal. Students fully participated in all of the panels and willingly talked to prospective students about it. Administrators and professors addressed all of it head on, even as they were reeling from finding out about it the day before prospective students arrived.


This is not true. They were protesting when we walked through the library. Brunch at the Dean's house was cancelled like 48 hours before we were supposed to be at his house. What ASW did you go to? lol


Protests don't equal boycott. My experience at 2016 was that of Juniper's.

Itiswritten
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Itiswritten » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
Juniper11 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD


This was from 2016. Students did not boycott ASW - they actually showed up en masse (as did faculty) to demonstrate that the school was not defined by the scandal. Students fully participated in all of the panels and willingly talked to prospective students about it. Administrators and professors addressed all of it head on, even as they were reeling from finding out about it the day before prospective students arrived.


This is not true. They were protesting when we walked through the library. Brunch at the Dean's house was cancelled like 48 hours before we were supposed to be at his house. What ASW did you go to? lol


Protests don't equal boycott. My experience at 2016 was that of Juniper's.


Ah you're right. I re-read that. Protest is the right word not boycott.

Hogwartsexpress
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Hogwartsexpress » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Stetson sent me an email saying how they could not wait for me to attend in the fall and looked forward to communicating with me. Also they subscribed me to there current student email. I'm thinking yay I got in maybe the status checker is just laggy. About 2 days later I get an email saying that message was sent out in error and that I was actually waitlisted. :evil:

Juniper11
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby Juniper11 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 am

Itiswritten wrote:
Juniper11 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Berkeley. Their dean sexually harassed his secretary and then the students boycotted our admitted students weekend.

They then dropped 5 spots in the US news rankings and stopped grading their students.

I am glad I chose not to go.

why did they boycott ASD


This was from 2016. Students did not boycott ASW - they actually showed up en masse (as did faculty) to demonstrate that the school was not defined by the scandal. Students fully participated in all of the panels and willingly talked to prospective students about it. Administrators and professors addressed all of it head on, even as they were reeling from finding out about it the day before prospective students arrived.


This is not true. They were protesting when we walked through the library. Brunch at the Dean's house was cancelled like 48 hours before we were supposed to be at his house. What ASW did you go to? lol


This is my last post here because I don't think it really matters, but of course the brunch at the dean's house was cancelled. He resigned the day ASW started. And tons of students showed up to ASW with individual signs filled in "My Berkeley Law is ______________" and were happy and willing to talk to prospective students about it. I don't really understand what more you would expect the students to do.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 2255
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby cron1834 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:50 am

The point stands that it's a shit show. Stop splitting hairs.

HonestlyThough
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Bad Impressions

Postby HonestlyThough » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:36 pm

CPA-->JD wrote:
theothercat wrote:Now that I've withdrawn, I gotta say, Georgetown was one of my top choices when this cycle started, and they disappointed me at every turn. Everything about my experience with them was extremely lacking.

I can't believe they set me me up with someone with a NYU LLM for an alumni interview. What a ringing endorsement of your university.


My interviewer told me rank mattered a ton and that one should definitely choose Harvard or Columbia or other top schools over Georgetown




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest