Bad Impressions Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Nucky

Silver

Re: Bad Impressions

Post by Nucky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:36 pm

El Principe wrote:Also, I'm disappointed in UofH's "package." A simple letter and email. Cool. I didn't expect the NYU or Vandy treatment, but c'mon. No pamphlets, no info, no calls, no more emails, no scholarship info?

In a vacuum, maybe having applicants objectively decide to attend UH w/o influence isn't such a bad thing, but honestly, how could I feel comfortable even entertaining the idea when I don't feel wanted?
If thought their "package" was underwhelming, wait until you see their law school.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Oy vey... USC. It was a shit show. Pm for specific deets. But at lunch was seated with a prof who just spent the entire hour talking about how HLS (HIS alma mater) sucked all kinds of balls. Not. Attractive.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 am

Nucky wrote:
El Principe wrote:Also, I'm disappointed in UofH's "package." A simple letter and email. Cool. I didn't expect the NYU or Vandy treatment, but c'mon. No pamphlets, no info, no calls, no more emails, no scholarship info?

In a vacuum, maybe having applicants objectively decide to attend UH w/o influence isn't such a bad thing, but honestly, how could I feel comfortable even entertaining the idea when I don't feel wanted?
If thought their "package" was underwhelming, wait until you see their law school.
They won't even make it that far... not gonna waste my time visiting a school I don't have a scholarship to.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:06 pm

The best is when the profs tell you not to go there and head elsewhere. I thought the point so put out propaganda and convince people to go no matter what. :D Haven't had this happen to myself but heard it at a couple of places.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:04 am

xJD2017x wrote:The best is when the profs tell you not to go there and head elsewhere. I thought the point so put out propaganda and convince people to go no matter what. :D Haven't had this happen to myself but heard it at a couple of places.
I had a dean tell me that when I visited one school. I didn't really need that advice by that point in the visit but I thought it was decent of him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:09 am

I once visited a school ASW, and was deciding between that school (a T20 with real good scholarship) against a T6 at sticker. I spoke with a prof at the T20 who was an alum of the T6. She tried to be fair and balanced, and gave the pros and cons of both, but made it pretty clear that she would recommend I go to the T6. Though she was of course looking at things through the professor-tinted lens and was giving multiple reasons that really didn't apply to me.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 pm

At a recent ASD my tour guide told me that there are tons of professors that refuse to give out A's... Then two seconds later told me that she has so much free time that she was out drinking until 3 am the morning before. I died.

At the same ASD they had granola bars and tpa water for their catered lunch. I was so hungry I thought I was gonna pass out during the financial session.

LawGirl7

New

Post by LawGirl7 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:At a recent ASD my tour guide told me that there are tons of professors that refuse to give out A's... Then two seconds later told me that she has so much free time that she was out drinking until 3 am the morning before. I died.

At the same ASD they had granola bars and tpa water for their catered lunch. I was so hungry I thought I was gonna pass out during the financial session.
UF? I was starving at their ASD. The reception food and punch was pretty good though.

Finnick

New

Post by Finnick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm

My tour guide at Loyola wore a wife beater and distressed jeans for our tour. Wasn't exactly the dress code I was expecting for a graduate school representative. The other girl on the tour had "shorts" that had her butt hanging out. Real classy environment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 pm

LOL. I remember that quasi-racist Cooley guy describing a lot of wife beaters being sported in class there. Nice company Loyola is keeping.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 am

The other girl on the tour had "shorts" that had her butt hanging out. Real classy environment.
hope she was cute

paayter

Bronze

Post by paayter » Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 am

That's weird....They sent an admitted students brochure that covered everything, lots of follow up emails, scholarship information, prompt replies...but I will admit the most nightmarish ASW ever, the people were great there but the way it was handled was very poor. I know its in no way a reflection of the quality offered there, and the opportunities, but damn I won't lie if it didnt almost turn me away.

paayter

Bronze

Post by paayter » Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 am

Nucky wrote:

I didn't think it was THAT terrible, its a commuter school for sure though. Its a state school, and its trying hard to be up and coming, but that Hilton on campus was nice though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paayter

Bronze

Post by paayter » Thu May 01, 2014 12:32 am

Finnick wrote:My tour guide at Loyola wore a wife beater and distressed jeans for our tour. Wasn't exactly the dress code I was expecting for a graduate school representative. The other girl on the tour had "shorts" that had her butt hanging out. Real classy environment.
Im so FANCY! YOU ALREADY KNOWWW. lol is this loyola la? to be fair the weather has been hot

FanOfPosner

New

Post by FanOfPosner » Thu May 01, 2014 9:08 am

I was rubbed the wrong way by the number of times Liberty University called me. Lots of emails are fine, because they're easily deleted, but I feel like multiple calls is intrusive and obnoxious. Especially since in the first call I told them I was completely uninterested.

Extra true because there is a certain kind of person who wants to go to Liberty, and so mass marketing efforts seem odd to me.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Fri May 02, 2014 4:04 pm

FanOfPosner wrote:Extra true because there is a certain kind of person who wants to go to Liberty
aka crazy people??

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:35 pm

SFrost wrote:
FanOfPosner wrote:Extra true because there is a certain kind of person who wants to go to Liberty
aka crazy people??

although rude I think you could say that for anyone who wants to go to any law school at this point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Fri May 02, 2014 11:54 pm

mewalke1 wrote:
SFrost wrote:
aka crazy people??

although rude I think you could say that for anyone who wants to go to any law school at this point.
Ya going to Columbia on a full ride and making six figures in your 20s is crazy. I'm sure making $18000 at Starbucks is much more fulfilling. :roll:

FanOfPosner

New

Post by FanOfPosner » Sat May 03, 2014 8:58 am

SFrost wrote:
aka crazy people??
To be fair, I didn't quite mean crazy, but it's definitely not a school with broad appeal. I'm not interested in going somewhere where I'll have a curfew and be unable to drink alcohol at the age of 23.

SFrost

Bronze

Post by SFrost » Sun May 04, 2014 4:32 pm

FanOfPosner wrote:
SFrost wrote:
aka crazy people??
To be fair, I didn't quite mean crazy, but it's definitely not a school with broad appeal. I'm not interested in going somewhere where I'll have a curfew and be unable to drink alcohol at the age of 23.
I'm sticking by my original statement: crazy people. It was founded by Jerry Falwell.

If a university was started by Hitler would you expect sane people there?

Beyond the fact that their founder used the Bible to preach hate against minorities, homosexuals, and anyone else who didn't fall into their specific WASP-approved category, there's plenty of other crazy stuff to hate on. A young earth creationist biology department, religious-themed law classes, a horrible reputation in every legal market, etc. etc.

I have no problem with universities being associated with religion, as many are. But Liberty is definitely the crazy end of that spectrum. I'll presume all students are crazy as well until I see evidence to the contrary.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun May 04, 2014 4:35 pm

SFrost wrote:
FanOfPosner wrote:
SFrost wrote:
aka crazy people??
I'm sticking by my original statement: crazy people. It was founded by Jerry Falwell.

Beyond the fact that their founder used the Bible to preach hate against minorities, homosexuals, and anyone else who didn't fall into their specific WASP-approved category, there's plenty of other crazy stuff to hate on. A young earth creationist biology department, religious-themed law classes, a horrible reputation in every legal market, etc. etc.

I have no problem with universities being associated with religion, as many are. But Liberty is definitely the crazy end of that spectrum. I'll presume all students are crazy as well until I see evidence to the contrary.
really took things nuclear with the Hitler analogy, huh?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sun May 04, 2014 4:39 pm

SFrost wrote: I'm sticking by my original statement: crazy people. It was founded by Jerry Falwell.

I'd have to agree. I go to a Christian school and we view Liberty as crazy, while we're viewed as very liberal compared to other Christian schools.

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Sun May 04, 2014 4:54 pm

stillwater wrote:
SFrost wrote:I'm sticking by my original statement: crazy people. It was founded by Jerry Falwell.

really took things nuclear with the Hitler analogy, huh?
Godwin's law yo.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:34 am

SFrost wrote:
FanOfPosner wrote:
SFrost wrote:
aka crazy people??

Hitler analogy...yea thats not extreme and hasn't been overused at all.

mewalke1

Bronze

Post by mewalke1 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:38 am

SFrost wrote:
mewalke1 wrote:
SFrost wrote:
aka crazy people??

Ya going to Columbia on a full ride and making six figures in your 20s is crazy. I'm sure making $18000 at Starbucks is much more fulfilling. :roll:

Sure whats that like 1% of people who go to law school?

Ok anyone who doesn't go to a top 5 school on a full ride and land that sweet job before they graduate can be considered crazy? Is that qualified enough for you Geeeeeez.

"making six figures in your 20s is crazy. I'm sure making $18000 at Starbucks is much more fulfilling"

Isn't it this kind of advertising that law schools are using to suck in people and rape their finacial future?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”