Bring a parent to law school visit?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:38 am

Toshiba31 wrote:I won't even indulge in this "debate" with you. It may not be HYS but I'm very proud of my school with its 80% employment rate and VERY affordable tuition. Every post does not have to be an invitation to the "my school is better than yours" argument. Had absolutely nothing to do with the topic posted. You must be suffering from little ____ syndrome. Have a seat!

I don't think they word filter [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER; THIS PERSON IS EITHER REFERRING TO SOMEONE WITH AN UNFORTUNATE NICKNAME OR HAS A STRANGE FASCINATION WITH MALE GENITALIA]

Toshiba31

Postby Toshiba31 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:52 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:I won't even indulge in this "debate" with you. It may not be HYS but I'm very proud of my school with its 80% employment rate and VERY affordable tuition. Every post does not have to be an invitation to the "my school is better than yours" argument. Had absolutely nothing to do with the topic posted. You must be suffering from little ____ syndrome. Have a seat!

I don't think they word filter [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER; THIS PERSON IS EITHER REFERRING TO SOMEONE WITH AN UNFORTUNATE NICKNAME OR HAS A STRANGE FASCINATION WITH MALE GENITALIA]

Yeah, that wasn't very nice of me. I should rephrase.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:57 am

slawww wrote:I think the sentiment ITT about bringing parents to ASD is a little overstated, from my experience at least. At Wake's ASD, I'd say about 60-70% of the people in attendance brought their parents. It didn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm sure that'd be different at a school like Northwestern, though. That was the only ASD I've been to, so maybe other schools are different, but it wasn't a big deal at Wake. All of the important stuff like sitting in on a class, etc. were done without the parents.

60-70%? Holy shit our generation is doomed.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am

Bildungsroman wrote:60-70%? Holy shit our generation is doomed.

So much this. What are you guys, 18? Leave the damn parents at home, PLEASE. If you want mommy and daddy to pay for schooling, fine, good on ya. Debt sucks.

However, you will lose all respectability you may have ever had when you show up to meet your peers for the first time trailing helicopter parents. This is graduate school. I don't know your parents, and frankly, I don't give a flying fuck about them. If they absolutely MUST come, please get as far away from them as possible and pretend they don't exist.

How in the hell can I ever take you seriously when your mommy and daddy are watching my every move while I talk to you?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

I've seen very few parents at Chicago things. So maybe we aren't the aspiest of them all?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Toshiba31 wrote:I won't even indulge in this "debate" with you. It may not be HYS but I'm very proud of my school with its 80% employment rate and VERY affordable tuition. Every post does not have to be an invitation to the "my school is better than yours" argument. Had absolutely nothing to do with the topic posted. You must be suffering from little man syndrome. Have a seat!

I had as many big law offers as LSU class of 2012. I rate thee TTT.

Toshiba31

Postby Toshiba31 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:I won't even indulge in this "debate" with you. It may not be HYS but I'm very proud of my school with its 80% employment rate and VERY affordable tuition. Every post does not have to be an invitation to the "my school is better than yours" argument. Had absolutely nothing to do with the topic posted. You must be suffering from little man syndrome. Have a seat!

you're right, you win :roll:

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 pm

I brought my folks because I still derive all my nutrition from suckiling at my moms teat. So it was a necessity really.

slawww

Postby slawww » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Taking the high road.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:38 pm

I've seen tons of 0Ls do it recently, and sure you'll get judged. But if you think that 1Ls approaching exams or especially 2Ls/3Ls(if they're even in the library) will give a shit enough to remember you, you're wrong.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:41 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:I've seen tons of 0Ls do it recently, and sure you'll get judged. But if you think that 1Ls approaching exams or especially 2Ls/3Ls(if they're even in the library) will give a shit enough to remember you, you're wrong.

A person's future classmates (aka her fellow 0Ls) will remember. But yeah, the only way current students will remember is if they have interaction with said parents, especially if it's of the "so do you have a job?" interrogation variety mentioned earlier.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Toshiba31 wrote:It must vary because this past weekend at the ASD I attended there were tons of parents and it didn't seem odd to me at all. I remember reading this exact post and thinking that it may have something to do with us being in the south. There were so many parents that everyone from the chancellor to other faculty administrators and professors made several "parent" references i.e. "Parents, we know this is a big decision for you all as well..." that sort of thing. I attended with my husband, I'm glad he came but I can see how attending this type of event with any guest could interfere with trying to get to know other potential students as most of us didn't do a whole lot of mingling.

It could just be a TTT thing. Nobody at my school brought parents except for 1 person. Really fucking embarrassing for them.

Not quite TTT but thanks for playing!

LSU? I'll stand by my words.

You're an ass and the only reason you get on this website is to make people feel terrible about themselves and their respective schools.

It's pathetic. Go home.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am

Back on topic...

I think it depends completely on your dynamic with your parent(s). Personally I think it's less out of the ordinary to bring a spouse/SO before a parent.

As an example of when perhaps bringing a parent is appropriate: A good friend of mine, late-20s, started a joint business with his mother when he was in undergrad. The two of them are looking to expand the business in the city where a particular T14 school is located. As they'd both be spending a good deal of time in the city in addition to him going to school there; she attended the Open House and/or some reception with him. They ended up going out for drinks with a group of 12 or so admitted students, and she picked up a round of drinks. But, perhaps, such parents are few and far between; purely anecdotally, the ones I've seen at ASDs have been either a little overeager or way too protective of their kids (a strange term to use for a 25 year old...).

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 am

nba101790 wrote:Back on topic...

I think it depends completely on your dynamic with your parent(s). Personally I think it's less out of the ordinary to bring a spouse/SO before a parent.

As an example of when perhaps bringing a parent is appropriate: A good friend of mine, late-20s, started a joint business with his mother when he was in undergrad. The two of them are looking to expand the business in the city where a particular T14 school is located. As they'd both be spending a good deal of time in the city in addition to him going to school there; she attended the Open House and/or some reception with him. They ended up going out for drinks with a group of 12 or so admitted students, and she picked up a round of drinks. But, perhaps, such parents are few and far between; purely anecdotally, the ones I've seen at ASDs have been either a little overeager or way too protective of their kids (a strange term to use for a 25 year old...).

Nope, still weird.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:05 am

Where was this thread when nearly every WUSTL applicant argued up and down with me about this?

ironbmike

Postby ironbmike » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 am

During W&M's ASW this Indian girl had her parents with her. Oh my god, embarrassing. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The mom at one point called students "children" and a professor cut her off and said no, they are not children here :lol:

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Being attached to your parents in your 20s might be juvenile but I think it's just as juvenile to have a burning desire to prove to everyone that you've flown the coop. :roll:

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 pm

fallingup wrote:Being attached to your parents in your 20s might be juvenile but I think it's just as juvenile to have a burning desire to prove to everyone that you've flown the coop. :roll:

what's not juvenile is just being an adult.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:44 pm

fallingup wrote:Being attached to your parents in your 20s might be juvenile but I think it's just as juvenile to have a burning desire to prove to everyone that you've flown the coop. :roll:

I was 39 when I started law school. I think that ship had sailed already.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:02 pm

i feel bad for those of you who think it's embarrassing or helicopter-like for someone to bring a parent to tour the law school. are you kidding? clearly, your parents have never shown an interest in anything you've ever done, and it shows. lol. if parents are paying for travel costs + part of tuition (in some cases, all), then don't worry about it. that student is already 10 steps ahead of you, "breh" 8)

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:I brought my folks because I still derive all my nutrition from suckiling at my moms teat. So it was a necessity really.

dying

warandpeace

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit? (Esp. IUB/northeastern)

Postby warandpeace » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Just in case you're positing the "don't bring a parent" thing as a function of youth: I was late 30s when I was visiting law schools and find the idea that I would bring my parents to either an ASD or a tour utterly baffling. I had a great relationship with my parents when I was straight out of college, and I have a great relationship with them now, but bringing them on that kind of a visit would be pointless distraction - I wouldn't want to do it and neither would they. It would be one thing to take them to see the school once I'd enrolled somewhere. But on a visit made to decide where I wanted to attend? No.

(Obviously if you feel differently that's cool. But I really don't think it's about age.)

I actually didn't consider that it might be better to just take them to the school you're planning on going to. +1 for thought.

as an aside, sorry for triple-posting. my bad

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:15 pm

do we find it equally as weird to bring your SO ? Given that he/she may live there ?

gatorlaw55

Postby gatorlaw55 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm

toothbrush wrote:do we find it equally as weird to bring your SO ? Given that he/she may live there ?

I don't think so..SO/Spouses don't really give off that "helicopter vibe" in my opinion. I'm bringing my spouse to ASD/ASW to most of the schools I'm considering. Then again, my debt is his debt, so I think it's more than fair that he gets to check out the place where our money will be going to for the next decade

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:27 pm

ironbmike wrote:During W&M's ASW this Indian girl had her parents with her. Oh my god, embarrassing. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. The mom at one point called students "children" and a professor cut her off and said no, they are not children here :lol:

It's especially weird when you consider that some of the professors really aren't much older than the students. I think we have a handful (maybe 5) professors here who are 30-32 years old. That's really not much older than the applicants/students in their mid-twenties. So to still be calling them kids is really insulting.

Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”