Bring a parent to law school visit?

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:01 am

Xifeng wrote:
toothbrush wrote:do we find it equally as weird to bring your SO ? Given that he/she may live there ?


No that's totally fine, people do it all the time.

And people do remember the weird shit from ASW. Not all of it, but you don't want to be pushing the boundaries of that.



These two points are credited.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby nickb285 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 am

slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you. That said, after reading these threads, I followed the TLS advice and did not bring my parents to the ASD I attended, and I'm glad I did, because I felt more comfortable. I talked with a bunch of people who did bring their parents, and they seemed normal to me, and it definitely didn't elicit any of the emotions you brought up. I didn't judge any of them, and if I did, I don't know why they should care anyways. If I were to be in the same section with someone who brought their parents to ASD and I thought they were cool, I wouldn't just shun them or something because he/she brought parents to ASD. It's really not that big of a deal. That said, I'd also recommend not bringing a parent, because I believe it's more socially comfortable without them, but it's not some huge deal, either.


Well that's the thing. It might not hurt--people might not think you're weird or a mama's boy or entitled or dependent or any of the other stuff that's been brought up here--but there's absolutely no way that it could help, and the risk/reward is such that there's no reason whatsoever to bring your parents to ASD.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 am

slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you.


You have no idea how the legal profession works, do you?

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 am

slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you. That said, after reading these threads, I followed the TLS advice and did not bring my parents to the ASD I attended, and I'm glad I did, because I felt more comfortable. I talked with a bunch of people who did bring their parents, and they seemed normal to me, and it definitely didn't elicit any of the emotions you brought up. I didn't judge any of them, and if I did, I don't know why they should care anyways. If I were to be in the same section with someone who brought their parents to ASD and I thought they were cool, I wouldn't just shun them or something because he/she brought parents to ASD. It's really not that big of a deal. That said, I'd also recommend not bringing a parent, because I believe it's more socially comfortable without them, but it's not some huge deal, either.


That has nothing to do with my personal opinion. I'm telling you what people, as a group, would think. Do I feel some of those emotions? Yeah. But I'm not gonna sit there and judge people. But I do to some extent and--more importantly--others will definitely judge.

I never said this was a big deal. It won't make or break your career. But it's stupid to do something early that separates you from all your classmates.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby slawww » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am

spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you.


You have no idea how the legal profession works, do you?


That's a real nice strawman.

You can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about people think about you.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:25 pm

slawww wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you.


You have no idea how the legal profession works, do you?


That's a real nice strawman.

You can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about people think about you.


Check your own strawman, bro. While you are right that you can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about what people think of you, what I was trying to point out is that scotusnerd's comments have to do with building your rep starting from ASD, and having to care then about what other people think about you.

But by all means, let kids bring their helicopter mommies and daddies with them and get judged then, as you suggest is ok. Because I'm sure I'll forget the spoiled rich kid who was a pathetic extension of his WASP parents when it comes time to work with or against him. I won't remember for the rest of my life or anything. That kind of pathetic fades quickly from your brain.

No, wait... as a 2L I still distinctly remember his name. And for the rest of my career I'll remember him as the spoiled, wimpy rich kid. I sure as hell don't want to work with him... and despite his brains I look forward to be opposing counsel someday. Because mommy can't save him in the courtroom when I metaphorically recreate that scene from Deliverance on him.

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby ironbmike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you.


You have no idea how the legal profession works, do you?


That's a real nice strawman.

You can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about people think about you.


Check your own strawman, bro. While you are right that you can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about what people think of you, what I was trying to point out is that scotusnerd's comments have to do with building your rep starting from ASD, and having to care then about what other people think about you.

But by all means, let kids bring their helicopter mommies and daddies with them and get judged then, as you suggest is ok. Because I'm sure I'll forget the spoiled rich kid who was a pathetic extension of his WASP parents when it comes time to work with or against him. I won't remember for the rest of my life or anything. That kind of pathetic fades quickly from your brain.

No, wait... as a 2L I still distinctly remember his name. And for the rest of my career I'll remember him as the spoiled, wimpy rich kid. I sure as hell don't want to work with him... and despite his brains I look forward to be opposing counsel someday. Because mommy can't save him in the courtroom when I metaphorically recreate that scene from Deliverance on him.


Image

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:42 pm

spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you.


You have no idea how the legal profession works, do you?


That's a real nice strawman.

You can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about people think about you.


Check your own strawman, bro. While you are right that you can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about what people think of you, what I was trying to point out is that scotusnerd's comments have to do with building your rep starting from ASD, and having to care then about what other people think about you.

But by all means, let kids bring their helicopter mommies and daddies with them and get judged then, as you suggest is ok. Because I'm sure I'll forget the spoiled rich kid who was a pathetic extension of his WASP parents when it comes time to work with or against him. I won't remember for the rest of my life or anything. That kind of pathetic fades quickly from your brain.

No, wait... as a 2L I still distinctly remember his name. And for the rest of my career I'll remember him as the spoiled, wimpy rich kid. I sure as hell don't want to work with him... and despite his brains I look forward to be opposing counsel someday. Because mommy can't save him in the courtroom when I metaphorically recreate that scene from Deliverance on him.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby slawww » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:58 pm

spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
slawww wrote:That's some deep shit, man. Judging from what you said in the above post, I think you care too much about what other people think about you.


You have no idea how the legal profession works, do you?


That's a real nice strawman.

You can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about people think about you.


Check your own strawman, bro. While you are right that you can have a great professional reputation and still care too much about what people think of you, what I was trying to point out is that scotusnerd's comments have to do with building your rep starting from ASD, and having to care then about what other people think about you.

But by all means, let kids bring their helicopter mommies and daddies with them and get judged then, as you suggest is ok. Because I'm sure I'll forget the spoiled rich kid who was a pathetic extension of his WASP parents when it comes time to work with or against him. I won't remember for the rest of my life or anything. That kind of pathetic fades quickly from your brain.

No, wait... as a 2L I still distinctly remember his name. And for the rest of my career I'll remember him as the spoiled, wimpy rich kid. I sure as hell don't want to work with him... and despite his brains I look forward to be opposing counsel someday. Because mommy can't save him in the courtroom when I metaphorically recreate that scene from Deliverance on him.


So much hyperbole. So because 1 kid from one ASD who brought his parents was a douche, everyone should be judged as such? Don't understand that logic. When I was at ASD, I could tell who brought their parents, but I really had no interaction with any of them for the most part, so I had no reason to judge them and shun them for the rest of my life. The kid you mention just seems like a douche; would your opinion of him be great had he not brought his parents? There were a couple of people I met at ASD that I would certainly never want to work, but the fact that they did or did not bring their parents was not the tipping point. I don't think you should bring your parents to ASD, but it's really not a monumental issue as you are making it out to be.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby toothbrush » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

This thread makes me hate future law school students more than ever.

What. the. fuck.

There's a few scenarios -
1 ) you bring parents and they stay with you and people may/may not judge you
2) you bring parents, they do their own thing and check out the school / don't hover and people may/may not judge you
3) you go solo and people may/may not judge you
4) you go with SO and people may / may not judge you

regardless there is some fuck in this thread who can argue you're being righteous or bratty or have no family or some shit.

/end thread

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm

toothbrush wrote:This thread makes me hate future law school students more than ever.

What. the. fuck.

There's a few scenarios -
1 ) you bring parents and they stay with you and people may/may not judge you
2) you bring parents, they do their own thing and check out the school / don't hover and people may/may not judge you
3) you go solo and people may/may not judge you
4) you go with SO and people may / may not judge you

regardless there is some fuck in this thread who can argue you're being righteous or bratty or have no family or some shit.

/end thread


Low iq shtick

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby ironbmike » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm

This thread really brought it

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby spleenworship » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 pm

slawww wrote: The kid you mention just seems like a douche; would your opinion of him be great had he not brought his parents?


TBF, I likely would've figured out he was a douche eventually anyway. That said, his bringing his parents did two things. 1. I figured out he was a douche on day 1. 2. When combined with his innate douchenozzle tendencies, the parent bringing raised him from douche to douchetruck. Like, I would respect him a little more for being a douche if he wasn't so obviously a momma's boi.

toothbrush wrote:This thread makes me hate future law school students more than ever.



Good. You need to get started early. If you make the mistake of thinking that 70%* of your classmates aren't douches, then 1L is so much worse.

*on average. My school only has like 50% douches. I hear Chicago is like 90%. Somebody from there could probably confirm that for you.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:24 pm

slawww wrote:So much hyperbole. So because 1 kid from one ASD who brought his parents was a douche, everyone should be judged as such? Don't understand that logic. When I was at ASD, I could tell who brought their parents, but I really had no interaction with any of them for the most part, so I had no reason to judge them and shun them for the rest of my life. The kid you mention just seems like a douche; would your opinion of him be great had he not brought his parents? There were a couple of people I met at ASD that I would certainly never want to work, but the fact that they did or did not bring their parents was not the tipping point. I don't think you should bring your parents to ASD, but it's really not a monumental issue as you are making it out to be.


The question is not "will everyone judge you forever for bringing a parent to ASD?"; the question was whether you should "bring a parent to law school visit?".

The answer from several adults in this thread is an emphatic no. Stop confusing the issue and accept the advice in the spirit it was offered.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:
slawww wrote:So much hyperbole. So because 1 kid from one ASD who brought his parents was a douche, everyone should be judged as such? Don't understand that logic. When I was at ASD, I could tell who brought their parents, but I really had no interaction with any of them for the most part, so I had no reason to judge them and shun them for the rest of my life. The kid you mention just seems like a douche; would your opinion of him be great had he not brought his parents? There were a couple of people I met at ASD that I would certainly never want to work, but the fact that they did or did not bring their parents was not the tipping point. I don't think you should bring your parents to ASD, but it's really not a monumental issue as you are making it out to be.


The question is not "will everyone judge you forever for bringing a parent to ASD?"; the question was whether you should "bring a parent to law school visit?".

The answer from several adults in this thread is an emphatic no. Stop confusing the issue and accept the advice in the spirit it was offered.

lol

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 pm

This article makes me think that I've been a little bit hard on people here... apparently, parents are effective mass mailers. Bringing them to ASW/school/bar review may give them a better handle on how to help you out:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665 ... -workplace

"Nearly one-third said parents had submitted resumes on their child's behalf, some without even informing the child. One-quarter reported hearing from parents urging the employer to hire their son or daughter for a position. Four percent of respondents reported that a parent actually showed up for the candidate's job interview."

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby teiswei » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:02 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:This article makes me think that I've been a little bit hard on people here... apparently, parents are effective mass mailers. Bringing them to ASW/school/bar review may give them a better handle on how to help you out:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665 ... -workplace

"Nearly one-third said parents had submitted resumes on their child's behalf, some without even informing the child. One-quarter reported hearing from parents urging the employer to hire their son or daughter for a position. Four percent of respondents reported that a parent actually showed up for the candidate's job interview."

Speaking from a hiring standpoint, this is really ineffective and so are hand written notes. No hiring manager will EVER hire someone whose parent reaches out on their behalf. I've been in the corporate world for nearly nine years and can assure you that it will be passed around the office as a joke and the applicant will never be hired.

This is first hand experience from two massive corporations. Don't do it.

eric922
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby eric922 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 pm

teiswei wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:This article makes me think that I've been a little bit hard on people here... apparently, parents are effective mass mailers. Bringing them to ASW/school/bar review may give them a better handle on how to help you out:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665 ... -workplace

"Nearly one-third said parents had submitted resumes on their child's behalf, some without even informing the child. One-quarter reported hearing from parents urging the employer to hire their son or daughter for a position. Four percent of respondents reported that a parent actually showed up for the candidate's job interview."

Speaking from a hiring standpoint, this is really ineffective and so are hand written notes. No hiring manager will EVER hire someone whose parent reaches out on their behalf. I've been in the corporate world for nearly nine years and can assure you that it will be passed around the office as a joke and the applicant will never be hired.

This is first hand experience from two massive corporations. Don't do it.

Well unless of course the parent who wrote said hand written letter is the CEO, but barring nepotism I agree with you.

User avatar
slawww
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby slawww » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:The question is not "will everyone judge you forever for bringing a parent to ASD?"; the question was whether you should "bring a parent to law school visit?".

The answer from several adults in this thread is an emphatic no. Stop confusing the issue and accept the advice in the spirit it was offered.

lol

User avatar
TaipeiMort
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:15 pm

teiswei wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:This article makes me think that I've been a little bit hard on people here... apparently, parents are effective mass mailers. Bringing them to ASW/school/bar review may give them a better handle on how to help you out:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665 ... -workplace

"Nearly one-third said parents had submitted resumes on their child's behalf, some without even informing the child. One-quarter reported hearing from parents urging the employer to hire their son or daughter for a position. Four percent of respondents reported that a parent actually showed up for the candidate's job interview."

Speaking from a hiring standpoint, this is really ineffective and so are hand written notes. No hiring manager will EVER hire someone whose parent reaches out on their behalf. I've been in the corporate world for nearly nine years and can assure you that it will be passed around the office as a joke and the applicant will never be hired.

This is first hand experience from two massive corporations. Don't do it.


I was joking, but I guess it could help if the hiring partner also has helicopter parents.

User avatar
md22
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby md22 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

So, the consensus is that bringing a SO to an open house event is acceptable?

WalkingPlato
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby WalkingPlato » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:01 pm

md22 wrote:So, the consensus is that bringing a SO to an open house event is acceptable?


Bring whoever you want. If people judge you based on bringing someone with you, it just shows that they're immature. No grown person will care that you brought your parent or whoever. Sure, it may prevent you a bit from mingling with others, since others will be less likely to approach you seeing your parents or whoever around (normal), but, while it's not ordinary, bring whoever you want. The guy above is obviously either a troll or very immature.

Throttle
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby Throttle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:This article makes me think that I've been a little bit hard on people here... apparently, parents are effective mass mailers. Bringing them to ASW/school/bar review may give them a better handle on how to help you out:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665 ... -workplace

"Nearly one-third said parents had submitted resumes on their child's behalf, some without even informing the child. One-quarter reported hearing from parents urging the employer to hire their son or daughter for a position. Four percent of respondents reported that a parent actually showed up for the candidate's job interview."



haahah wow WTF is wrong with people.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby cinephile » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 pm

md22 wrote:So, the consensus is that bringing a SO to an open house event is acceptable?


Do you want to hear a funny story? It wasn't admitted students weekend, but rather orientation, when I met this guy and a girl he claimed was his fiancee (and that she was a non-law student). As it turns out, she had just met him that night, was a fellow law student, and was too drunk to contradict his story. They're not dating now or anything, it was just a rather strange event and I wanted to share it.

User avatar
md22
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Postby md22 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

cinephile wrote:
md22 wrote:So, the consensus is that bringing a SO to an open house event is acceptable?


Do you want to hear a funny story? It wasn't admitted students weekend, but rather orientation, when I met this guy and a girl he claimed was his fiancee (and that she was a non-law student). As it turns out, she had just met him that night, was a fellow law student, and was too drunk to contradict his story. They're not dating now or anything, it was just a rather strange event and I wanted to share it.


LOL. That's gold.




Return to “Talk About Law School Visits, Open Houses, Admit Days”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest