Bring a parent to law school visit? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
aena

New

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit?

Post by aena » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:25 am

There is nothing wrong with bringing your parents to ASW.

But there is definitely something wrong with you being terrified of other people's judgments, especially at this age when you are no longer an insecure teenager in high school.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:31 am

I wouldn't not bring my parents to an ASW because I'm terrified of other people's judgments. I'd not bring my parents because I think bringing them is a ridiculous idea that would serve no purpose and interfere with my ASW experience.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 am

Isn't it time to Old Yeller this thing?

aena

New

Post by aena » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:40 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'd not bring my parents because I think bringing them is a ridiculous idea that would serve no purpose and interfere with my ASW experience.
See yours is a valid reason, but I'm speaking about the other majority of opinions expressed here that go something like "expect to be judged for it."

I guess I have a hard time understanding it. It's not like your "future classmates" have contributed anything to your achievements so far (i.e. getting into law schools), so why should you feel like you owe them anything? If you want to bring your parents for legitimate reasons, then shouldn't you be able to do it without worrying about what they think of you?

God forbid you and every single 150 kids from the ASW actually choose to attend that school, and say they happen to remember you as the kid who brought his parents, then you are going to have 3 long years to provide more opportunities for them to judge you and remember you as something more substantial than "the kid who brought his parents to law school ASW."

I was at ASW yesterday, and I actually saw many kids bring their parents. Out of 15ish people in my tour group, 5 people were parents. I also noticed the deans and other administrative adults(career services, externships, etc.) were more likely to sit down on the tables with parents and take questions than tables with just students.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 am

Well, I do judge you if you bring your parents along, because I think if you're going to law school you should be a grown adult who makes their own decisions (for instance, I see it as a problem if your parents are the ones asking the dean /whoever questions about the law school, rather than you). But I also recognize that plenty of people who aren't me don't see bringing their parents as incompatible with that.

I do agree that if you want to bring your parents you shouldn't give a damn what I or anyone else thinks, though.

(and for some reason I can't resist responding to this thread.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aena

New

Post by aena » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:58 am

I would hesitate to immediately assume that anyone with parents are immature kids who can't make their own decisions independently.

Among the parents I saw at my ASW yesterday - one had attended the law school and hadn't visited for a long time, one was a college admissions consultant who wanted to look around the school for his job, one was there to help his paralyzed son on a wheelchair, one who was from the area but now lives far away and wanted to visit the city, etc. There are so many other reasons parents could be attending besides to being helicopters...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:13 pm

aena wrote:I would hesitate to immediately assume that anyone with parents are immature kids who can't make their own decisions independently.

Among the parents I saw at my ASW yesterday - one had attended the law school and hadn't visited for a long time, one was a college admissions consultant who wanted to look around the school for his job, one was there to help his paralyzed son on a wheelchair, one who was from the area but now lives far away and wanted to visit the city, etc. There are so many other reasons parents could be attending besides to being helicopters...
Except for the wheelchair, I don't understand why those reasons mean parents should actually attend ASW with their child, though, as opposed to travel with them and see the school/city on their own time.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 pm

aena wrote: I also noticed the deans and other administrative adults(career services, externships, etc.) were more likely to sit down on the tables with parents and take questions than tables with just students.
This exemplifies everything that is wrong with law school. It actually doesn't begin to scratch the surface, but do you not realize how fucked up this is? The students are the ones who will be getting the legal education and searching for careers, not their parents. The administrators ought to be reaching out to all the students, not just laying on the bullshit for mommy and daddy (which, to be fair, might have the most life experience and be likely to pull the kid out of law school if they realize what a scam it is).

On another note, I went to ASW yesterday to score some free food. I used that opportunity to save students from misery and unmanageable debt. The prospectives students who were with their parents were the first I targeted for my, "Have you been saved?" speech. One girl got really upset, so I'd like to think that she went home and reconsidered law school or at least our school. One more soul saved.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Your parents can see the school etc without attending admitted students events.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:03 pm

cinephile wrote:
aena wrote: I also noticed the deans and other administrative adults(career services, externships, etc.) were more likely to sit down on the tables with parents and take questions than tables with just students.
This exemplifies everything that is wrong with law school. It actually doesn't begin to scratch the surface, but do you not realize how fucked up this is? The students are the ones who will be getting the legal education and searching for careers, not their parents. The administrators ought to be reaching out to all the students, not just laying on the bullshit for mommy and daddy (which, to be fair, might have the most life experience and be likely to pull the kid out of law school if they realize what a scam it is).

On another note, I went to ASW yesterday to score some free food. I used that opportunity to save students from misery and unmanageable debt. The prospectives students who were with their parents were the first I targeted for my, "Have you been saved?" speech. One girl got really upset, so I'd like to think that she went home and reconsidered law school or at least our school. One more soul saved.
Doing God's work there cine.

ETA: also, just stop posting in here everyone.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Not caring what people think is the biggest flame ever. Shame has a purpose.

Bronze

Post by 2654815451 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Ok, this is just my opinion, but I wish I had parents to come with me! If I got admitted to a law school I was proud of, I would be proud to show my parents how my hard work and their investment paid off. I don't think it is weird at all. In UG tons of parents come for like everything. I always feel left out, because I never have any. Yes, law students are adults, but so are UG students. I wouldn't bring them to sit in on a class though... but do what you want. :)

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:40 pm

KAYCEE wrote:Ok, this is just my opinion, but I wish I had parents to come with me! If I got admitted to a law school I was proud of, I would be proud to show my parents how my hard work and their investment paid off. I don't think it is weird at all. In UG tons of parents come for like everything. I always feel left out, because I never have any. Yes, law students are adults, but so are UG students. I wouldn't bring them to sit in on a class though... but do what you want. :)
Thanks for your valuable insight

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:59 am

Danger Zone wrote:
KAYCEE wrote:Ok, this is just my opinion, but I wish I had parents to come with me! If I got admitted to a law school I was proud of, I would be proud to show my parents how my hard work and their investment paid off. I don't think it is weird at all. In UG tons of parents come for like everything. I always feel left out, because I never have any. Yes, law students are adults, but so are UG students. I wouldn't bring them to sit in on a class though... but do what you want. :)
Thanks for your valuable insight
:lol:

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:07 am

KAYCEE wrote:If I got admitted to a law school I was proud of, I would be proud to show my parents how my hard work and their investment paid off.
Let's be very careful about viewing law school as anything other than an economic transaction. It's not a reflection of your worth, your parents' worth, or anything else. It is an economic transaction. The fact that you are "proud" of a certain school makes you less critical in deciding to line that school's pockets and allow it to continue increasing tuition at 25 times the rate of inflation.

It's because a college degree and law degree have turned into status symbols to be "proud" of that we have a college and law school bubble. These schools are rapacious monsters and please do not let them emotionally manipulate you. You can be proud of getting a high LSAT score. But do not dare be "proud" of a school. The school has done nothing to earn your respect or pride or loyalty except f*ck a bunch of kids over before you--and it wouldn't care if you were next.

Also, crucially: your parents' investment has not paid off yet because you have no idea whether or not you will have a job.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
KAYCEE wrote:If I got admitted to a law school I was proud of, I would be proud to show my parents how my hard work and their investment paid off.
Let's be very careful about viewing law school as anything other than an economic transaction. It's not a reflection of your worth, your parents' worth, or anything else. It is an economic transaction. The fact that you are "proud" of a certain school makes you less critical in deciding to line that school's pockets and allow it to continue increasing tuition at 25 times the rate of inflation.

It's because a college degree and law degree have turned into status symbols to be "proud" of that we have a college and law school bubble. These schools are rapacious monsters and please do not let them emotionally manipulate you. You can be proud of getting a high LSAT score. But do not dare be "proud" of a school. The school has done nothing to earn your respect or pride or loyalty except f*ck a bunch of kids over before you--and it wouldn't care if you were next.

Also, crucially: your parents' investment has not paid off yet because you have no idea whether or not you will have a job.

denied by your first choice, eh

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:04 am

Last edited by kimkardashian on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:39 am

kimkardashian wrote:I was 19 when I got into law school and would've brought my mom if she was available. She's the one who raised me and she's the one paying for it, so I think she has a right to see where I'm living the next three years.
GOOD FOR YOU

withoutapaddle

Bronze

Post by withoutapaddle » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:41 am

Do you really want to met Hot girl/guy, and have your mom looking over your shoulder?

starwarsVII

New

Re: Bring a parent to law school visit? (Esp. IUB/northeastern)

Post by starwarsVII » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Davidbentley wrote:Bringing a parent to a school visit is like bringing a glove to a baseball game. You can do it if you're over 12, but you should expect to be judged for it.
Awesome analogy.

I always recommend against bringing parents. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam so I can already hear what the other side will say ("People who judge people for bringing their parents are jerks!" and "I trust my mom with everything, why wouldn't I bring her?"). But you're an adult, and you should be able to attend a school and decide on it without your parents being physically present. People absolutely will judge you for it because its time to cut the cord. Are you going to bring your mom and dad to callbacks to have them help you pick a firm?

If they do come, tell them to keep their mouths shut. Nothing is worse than a parent asking a bunch of questions like they're at third grade parent teacher conferences.
I always loved watching tour groups. The parents reminisce if they attended that institution (Does X still work here? I remember when we did Y in yada-yada hall") It's so obvious that as soon as they can, the kids will separate from their parents and become complete messes. Unless the parents also accompany the kids to the frat parties and class to make sure they go the next day. I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen. Anecdotal, but I knew a lot of people who, I think forgot, there was an academic component to college. Does it happen at law school too, do you think?
:wink:

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Isn't it time to Old Yeller this thing?
old yeller dies at the end??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:

tyft

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Okay so the vibe I'm getting is parents out.
This may seem like its in the same vein (serves no purpose, might interfere), but whats everyone's opinion on bringing friends to an ASW?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Time for a mercy killing. I'm sure this issue will come up again within a week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”