Vanderbilt 3/15 and 4/5 Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
FrankGallagher

Bronze

Vanderbilt 3/15 and 4/5

Post by FrankGallagher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Anyone RSVP'ed for either of these yet? They have somewhat different activities planned depending which month you go:

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... index.aspx

I'm trying to decide which one I'd rather go to. I'm sure they are both great, but as someone who will most likely attend Vandy, I do want to figure out if one might have advantages over the other. Thoughts?
Last edited by FrankGallagher on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gravitygravity

New

Re: Vanderbilt 3/5 and 4/15

Post by gravitygravity » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:20 am

I'm visiting in March because a lot of the other ASWs I'm attending or schools I'm visiting for interviews are around that time and I want to be able to compare the schools while the memories of my visits are still fresh.

rachelzane

New

Post by rachelzane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:32 pm

gravitygravity wrote:I'm visiting in March because a lot of the other ASWs I'm attending or schools I'm visiting for interviews are around that time and I want to be able to compare the schools while the memories of my visits are still fresh.
Can you or anyone else going to the ASWs PLEASE give me the low down?? The obiter dictum was already entirely convincing, but I just want to know what I'm missing.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 am

rachelzane wrote:
gravitygravity wrote:I'm visiting in March because a lot of the other ASWs I'm attending or schools I'm visiting for interviews are around that time and I want to be able to compare the schools while the memories of my visits are still fresh.
Can you or anyone else going to the ASWs PLEASE give me the low down?? The obiter dictum was already entirely convincing, but I just want to know what I'm missing.
Is there a reason you're not attending? full reimbursement had me hooked. I'll definitely type up a recap though

rachelzane

New

Post by rachelzane » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:50 am

muskies970 wrote:
rachelzane wrote:
Is there a reason you're not attending? full reimbursement had me hooked. I'll definitely type up a recap though
Work stuff. I visited when I was looking at Vanderbilt for undergrad. I know I like the city, campus, and people, so I can't entirely justify going back up there. If it sounds like its a must-go from the people that go in March, I'll make something work to be there for the April one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mross_10

New

Post by mross_10 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 pm

Is anyone else going to the April ASW?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Vandy ASW is pretty fun. You show up and get shitfaced.

RemyMarathe

Bronze

Post by RemyMarathe » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Just signed up for the 3/14-3/15 weekend. See everyone there!

FrankGallagher

Bronze

Post by FrankGallagher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

I signed up for the April one (including the hockey game). Can't wait!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:35 pm

With regards to the Admitted Students Reception at Bass, Berry & Sims on Thursday night, does anyone know if it requires a separate RSVP than the general one for the Admitted Students Reception? Also, any idea for the dress code?
Last edited by GoldHattedGatsby on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gravitygravity

New

Post by gravitygravity » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:With regards to the Admitted Students Reception at Bass, Berry & Sims on Thursday night, does anyone know if it requires a separate RSVP than the general one for the Admitted Students Reception? Also, any idea for the dress code or hope for an open bar?
Yes, it does. Dress is business casual.

RemyMarathe

Bronze

Post by RemyMarathe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 pm

gravitygravity wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:With regards to the Admitted Students Reception at Bass, Berry & Sims on Thursday night, does anyone know if it requires a separate RSVP than the general one for the Admitted Students Reception? Also, any idea for the dress code or hope for an open bar?
Yes, it does. Dress is business casual.

+1.

I spoke to admissions and they said a blazer and slacks were fine. No jeans, no suits.

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

How's everyone dressing for the Friday admitted students program?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:How's everyone dressing for the Friday admitted students program?
Suit and tie mandatory bro

gravitygravity

New

Post by gravitygravity » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 am

rachelzane wrote:
I went into the weekend thinking I might want to pursue my wait lists and check out some of my other options, but, truthfully, it is going to be hard for me to give any other place a fighting chance after this weekend. Here's my low down:

- Vandy Law is truly collegial. The students seem to be supportive of one another, which may have to do with the fact that they are not ranked against one another. There are few words that suit the student body better than "nice" and "collegial."
- Students have social lives. Even when ASD was over and most prospective students had headed home, there were 1Ls out at local bars having a good time. The idea of balancing a legitimate social life and academics in law school seemed unfathomable to me before this weekend. Seeing that, at Vanderbilt, it is a realistic possibility was enlightening.
- The employment prospects seem to be on par with the T-14 sans HYS as do opportunities for clerkships
- A smaller student body means less people are competing with you for interview spots and job opportunities during OCI
- Nashville is a vibrant, young town with lots to do. Admittedly, I am not entirely sober while writing this, which is, in part, due to the vast array of bar-hopping options throughout the downtown area...
- Students seemed genuinely happy for the most part. Even during candid, drunk conversations at bars, Vanderbilt Law students appeared to, overall, be very pleased with their choice (and almost all seemed to have had at least one T-14 option, if not several).

Hopefully that helps a little. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions. Needless to say, I truly loved this weekend and met a great deal of people (both prospective students and current ones) who I liked a lot. This weekend definitely moved Vanderbilt to the very top of my list.

Edit: One of the things I appreciated most was that everyone there seemed to be pretty sociable. I never had an awkward conversation and I think that speaks a lot to both the type of students they admit, particularly for those of us who partook in the interview process.
Last edited by gravitygravity on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 am

Even the 1Ls that other 1Ls talked shit about were pretty legit in their own ways. I had a pretty mind-blowingly insane/weird experience one night but I probs shouldn't say anything specific about that yet even through PMs.

There might have been a rad law sighting at bar review but I can't actually confirm that because I probs have prosopagnosia or something.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

Crowing wrote: There might have been a rad law sighting at bar review but I can't actually confirm that because I probs have prosopagnosia or something.
Slow down, creeper.
Last edited by CorkBoard on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:44 am

Nope.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am

Crowing wrote:Even the 1Ls that other 1Ls talked shit about were pretty legit in their own ways. I had a pretty mind-blowingly insane/weird experience one night but I probs shouldn't say anything specific about that yet even through PMs.

There might have been a rad law sighting at bar review but I can't actually confirm that because I probs have prosopagnosia or something.
Not only was I not there, but you seem strange

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am

I've never waited so long for pancakes guh

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 am

rad lulz wrote:
Crowing wrote:Even the 1Ls that other 1Ls talked shit about were pretty legit in their own ways. I had a pretty mind-blowingly insane/weird experience one night but I probs shouldn't say anything specific about that yet even through PMs.

Not only was I not there, but you seem strange
Despite being Asian, I cannot tell Asians apart.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 am

Asians coming to Vandy IN DROVES

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:24 am

gravitygravity wrote:
rachelzane wrote:
I went into the weekend thinking I might want to pursue my wait lists and check out some of my other options, but, truthfully, it is going to be hard for me to give any other place a fighting chance after this weekend. Here's my low down:

- Vandy Law is truly collegial. The students seem to be supportive of one another, which may have to do with the fact that they are not ranked against one another. There are few words that suit the student body better than "nice" and "collegial."
- Students have social lives. Even when ASD was over and most prospective students had headed home, there were 1Ls out at local bars having a good time. The idea of balancing a legitimate social life and academics in law school seemed unfathomable to me before this weekend. Seeing that, at Vanderbilt, it is a realistic possibility was enlightening.
- The employment prospects seem to be on par with the T-14 sans HYS as do opportunities for clerkships
- A smaller student body means less people are competing with you for interview spots and job opportunities during OCI
- Nashville is a vibrant, young town with lots to do. Admittedly, I am not entirely sober while writing this, which is, in part, due to the vast array of bar-hopping options throughout the downtown area...
- Students seemed genuinely happy for the most part. Even during candid, drunk conversations at bars, Vanderbilt Law students appeared to, overall, be very pleased with their choice (and almost all seemed to have at least one T-14 option, if not several).

Hopefully that helps a little. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions. Needless to say, I truly loved this weekend and met a great deal of people (both prospective students and current ones) who I liked a lot. This weekend definitely moved Vanderbilt to the very top of my list.

Edit: One of the things I appreciated most was that everyone there seemed to be pretty sociable. I never had an awkward conversation and I think that speaks a lot to both the type of students they admit, particularly for those of us who partook in the interview process.
Thanks for sharing!!

rachelzane

New

Post by rachelzane » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:03 pm

gravitygravity wrote:I went into the weekend thinking I might want to pursue my wait lists and check out some of my other options, but, truthfully, it is going to be hard for me to give any other place a fighting chance after this weekend. Here's my low down:

- Students seemed genuinely happy for the most part. Even during candid, drunk conversations at bars, Vanderbilt Law students appeared to, overall, be very pleased with their choice (and almost all seemed to have had at least one T-14 option, if not several).

Thank you! This is really helpful. Vanderbilt is going to be a tough one to pass up.

raekaya

New

Post by raekaya » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 pm

I will be attending the April weekend, all the way from California :D I love that it's on a Friday, it's the only school's I can make! I have to admit, I am really nervous about figuring out my way around and meeting new people. Was that an issue for anyone who visited on their own in March?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”