where is the BEST place to live near U Chicago Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
dell99

New

where is the BEST place to live near U Chicago

Post by dell99 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:55 pm

need some advice,where would you live,if money were not a factor close to the Law school?

mstoker86

New

Post by mstoker86 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:08 am

I hear just about everyone lives in Regents Park. I've been by the outside and it looks pretty nice.

uchicago1L

New

Post by uchicago1L » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 am

I live in Regents, and if you're going to be in Hyde Park the first year, I highly recommend it. It'll be painful thinking about how much you're paying for a place in HP (although it's not so bad if you do a 2BR with a roommate), but as far as safety (24-hour doorman and buzz-in security, accessibility to school (the 172 begins/ends at Regents and the law school and is free to UChicago students) and convenience (surrounded but don't have to live with a ton of fellow 1Ls), you can't really beat it. Just be aware that unlike UChicago grad apartments, these are not furnished.

dell99

New

Post by dell99 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:31 am

how frequent does the bus go back and forth to the Law school?How does Regents compare with the other apt buildings close to to Regents?
Thanks for your input

hblaw

New

Post by hblaw » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:22 am

I want to know too. :)

I heard that New Grad is also good (very close to school & not too expensive). Only that you should not choose north side rooms.

Can anyone compare the two?

Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dell99

New

Post by dell99 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:36 am

isn't the new grad housing closed during the summer though

dell99

New

Post by dell99 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 am

just wondering if anyone knows how Hyde Park Tower and Windemere House compare to Regents

ihatestudying

New

Post by ihatestudying » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Hi,
Both are nice. Windermere is an older building than Regents, but the lobby is really pretty and it's right off 57th, so it's closer to 'campus' and the law school campus than Regents. More b-school students live in Regents.

Hyde Park Towers is also an older building with not as much charm as Windermere, but they have good housing, nice views of the Museum of Science and Industry and the lake (depending on where you face), and it's the next block over from Windermere, so essentially in the same area only a block or two down. For some reason, Hyde Park Towers doesn't seem to be a spopular as Windermere and Regents.

Of the three, I think Regents is the nicest of all three, and has the most grad/older students. Windermere is also very nice though, and closer to the main campus, while HPT is also decent, but for some reason less popular...

I have no idea aboutthe new grad school housing, but I don't recommend living on the law school side of the midway. It's not as safe, oddly gentrified (million-dlollar condos in really shoddy areas) and walking across the midway in the middle of winter to buy groceries is another circle of hell. Also, not that it is indicative of anything, but the recent grad student shooting of the Senegalese doctoral student was on 'that' side of the midway. UChicago has horrible policing of that area and can't control it at all, despite its best attempts. HTH!

dell99

New

Post by dell99 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:48 pm

thanks for your input..IHstudying....are u currently a U Chicago law student?if so how do u like U Chicago?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zeezoo

Bronze

Post by zeezoo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 pm

tls makes me very scared of chi :(

mayrain1

New

Post by mayrain1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:22 am

I did my undergrad at UChicago, and from my experience a LOT of law/GSB students live in Regents. I personally wouldn't live there though, simply because I always found the commute from Regents to campus rather irritating. It's a good mile off campus, and unlike the undergrad dorms off-campus, it doesn't have a dedicated shuttle service running at all hours of the night.

Just find an apartment on/near campus. It's really not that difficult. You'll have more space, and it'll likely be MUCH cheaper than regents. As far as "safety boundaries" go, here are some conservative guidelines:

Western boundary: Cottage Grove. The neighborhood gets (suddenly) sketchy west of Cottage Grove.
Southern boundary: 60th, or 61st if you're not too paranoid. The neighborhood is being gentrified, and they are in the process of building a huge undergrad dorm on (I think) 63rd.
Eastern boundary: N/A. Although the further east you go after a point, the further you get from campus.
Northern boundary: N/A. Campus officially ends on 55th Street, but tons of students live in the area from 50th-55th. It's known as the "student ghetto."

Hope this helps!

zoey15

New

Re: where is the BEST place to live near U Chicago

Post by zoey15 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:30 pm

hi everyone, i have a few questions if people are available/have opinions on the matter:

1) has anyone stayed in flamingo apts?

2) can you get a law school discount on a studio in regents?

3) pricing in windermere isnt online-- any thoughts?

Dany

Diamond

Re: where is the BEST place to live near U Chicago

Post by Dany » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:04 am

zoey15 wrote:hi everyone, i have a few questions if people are available/have opinions on the matter:

1) has anyone stayed in flamingo apts?

2) can you get a law school discount on a studio in regents?

3) pricing in windermere isnt online-- any thoughts?
For the Windermere question: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=109383

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”